The Student Room Group

Oxbridge Myths

1. Is it true that you cannot apply to both universities?
2. Is it true that Oxford place GCSE grades higher than Cambridge?
3. Is it true that you can't get into Oxbridge without AT LEAST 8 A*'s?

Reply to any you like, and maybe even post your own for someone else to answer! :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by hrmpurser

Reply to any you like, and maybe even post your own for someone else to answer! :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

1. For undergrad, yes, you cannot apply to both.
2. Yes, Oxford places a greater emphasis on GCSEs than Cambridge.
3. No.

Posted from TSR Mobile

1. Yes, for a first undergraduate degree. I don't know about a second, but it's fine to apply to both as a graduate.
2. No idea, though I've heard it repeated often.
3. At GCSE? No. However, most successful applicants will have a lot of A*s, for obvious reasons, and they're more useful as an indicator than predicted grades. Interviews, entrance tests and AS results can be more important.

Posted from TSR Mobile

1 - Yes, it is true, unless you are applying for an organ scholarship at both.

2 - True. According to their own admissions publicity stuff, Oxford say that they look strongly at an applicant's academic history, in my opinion, implying GCSEs or equivalent. They also use entrance exams to filter applicants for interview. Meanwhile, Cambridge focus strongly on UMS scores, predicted grades, the academic reference and interviews (according to various Cambridge staff I have listened/spoken to, who deal with admissions).

3 - Not true. Cambridge doesn't look too strongly on GCSEs. A weaker GCSE profile wont disadvantage you much if you have good ASs. Conversely, loads of A*s won't give you much of an edge over an applicant with similar ASs. Oxford like A*s and As but don't have a set number required. They will also interview you regardless of this if you do well in the admissions test and are impressed by your application.
Reply 5
Why did you title this thread 'Oxbridge myths'? None of these things are myths. They are questions you can easily answer using Google.

Posted from TSR Mobile

1. Yes.
2. Probably, but I think people overemphasise the difference on TSR. People on TSR often seem to think that Cambridge don't care about GCSEs, which isn't true. Also, people often forget that at Oxford, the admissions tests can often play a very important role.
3. No, that is not true.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending