The Student Room Group

I hate being undermined.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Pattie Labelle
Seriously what?

It would make some sense if it didn't sound as robotic would it not? :s-smilie:
Original post by Vixen47
Happens to me on a daily basis when I'm with my family. Eventually you learn to suck it up and move on until you have those moments where you just have to cry and let it all out, but those moments become rare once you realise there's not much you can do about it.

How old are you?
How old are you?

19. Well, 20 in a few weeks. Why do you ask?
Reply 23
What's stopping you from "asserting social and potential professional dominance" by working for a first?

Then: I absolutely was but would rather have not fed my perfectionist tendencies, meaning learning to be proud of a 2.1 too, ironically

Now: I've graduated with a 2.1 and my time machine's a work in progress
Reply 24
Original post by DErasmus
yeee

When you speak to someone, the first thing you ask is: 'Sir or Madam, what is your degree? and which university did you attend?'. You seem to exaggerate elitist views.

The socio-sexual market AKA 'dating scene' IS elitist my brother, especially when dealing with a partner from a traditionalist, conservative background. :s-smilie:
Original post by Vixen47
19. Well, 20 in a few weeks. Why do you ask?

I'm in the same bracket my family is the same. They're so dismissive of me yet I've got better achievements than all of my siblings/cousins.

Original post by Riku
Then: I absolutely was but would rather have not fed my perfectionist tendencies, meaning learning to be proud of a 2.1 too, ironically

Now: I've graduated with a 2.1 and my time machine's a work in progress

Yeah you can't complain. You're a dumb. Embrace it.
Original post by Riku
The socio-sexual market AKA 'dating scene' IS elitist my brother, especially when dealing with a partner from a traditionalist, conservative background. :s-smilie:

Get more liberal friends.
Reply 27
I'm in the same bracket my family is the same. They're so dismissive of me yet I've got better achievements than all of my siblings/cousins.

Yeah you can't complain. You're a dumb. Embrace it.

So you're saying it is natural for my SO to fish elsewhere for a superior male if I only get a 2.1 due to benefits of social hypergamy?
Original post by Riku
So you're saying it is natural for my SO to fish elsewhere for a superior male if I only get a 2.1 due to benefits of social hypergamy?

I'm sure it wasn't just your paranoia that made your gf look elsewhere for peace of mind and an easier time.

What I'm saying is you are blaming it all on your degree, something you can't help, because it's easier than facing the real issues you and your gf faced.
Reply 29
I'm sure it wasn't just your paranoia that made your gf look elsewhere for peace of mind and an easier time.

What I'm saying is you are blaming it all on your degree, something you can't help, because it's easier than facing the real issues you and your gf faced.

Sort of although I am using the degree because it is the most statistically quantifiable example of the argument.

Other issues such as...? Not sure where you get the idea I'm paranoid from :s-smilie:
Original post by Riku
Sort of although I am using the degree because it is the most statistically quantifiable example of the argument.

Other issues such as...? Not sure where you get the idea I'm paranoid from :s-smilie:

How do you know it's your 2:1 that made your gf look at the other guy'?
Reply 31
How do you know it's your 2:1 that made your gf look at the other guy'?

I don't, I list many other factors in various threads (aesthetics, social proof, etc.) which I believe would rationalise the decision to 'trade up' so to speak. I also get told various reasons why she probably didn't actually do any of the stuff I think she did both on TSR and IRL. :s-smilie:
Original post by Riku
I don't, I list many other factors in various threads (aesthetics, social proof, etc.) which I believe would rationalise the decision to 'trade up' so to soeak. I also get told various reasons why she probably didn't actually do any of the stuff I think she did both on TSR and IRL. :s-smilie:

Haha now I know you're trolling
Reply 33
Haha now I know you're trolling

How am I trolling? Honestly look through thw Relationships forum c. September 2013 to March 2014 for the threads, and as for the rest...? :s-smilie:
Reply 34
Original post by Riku
It is one of the most easily accessible and civilised forms of asserting social and potential professional dominance for an undergraduate. It makes perfect sense to me else how can it have destroyed my relationship :s-smilie:

I am really confused.

Screw your head on. Seriously.
Reply 35
Original post by Wattsy
Screw your head on. Seriously.

I really do not get what you mean mate :s-smilie:
I like being undermined, in fact I prefer it.

You can give them a nice surprise when they find it out that you're actually better than them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What I've realised is that no matter how hard you try, once someone has made up their mind about you, there's no changing it. If their opinion of you does change then it takes time and a huge change on your part.
Reply 38
Original post by Riku
I really do not get what you mean mate :s-smilie:

I've given people the necessary talks to drag themselves out of depression, I've changed a man's worldview in 1 hour but you Riku, are a complete alien to me. The things that you come out with are absolutely baffling. I think you need to really put your life in perspective and get your thoughts organised, confront your outlook and start beating it little by little, thought by thought. In order to do this the first step is realising that you need not be so defeatist and negative about everything you think about. There is a hope or positive in everything, you just aren't looking hard enough. Find the end of your tunnel, stay out of the way of the train.
Reply 39
Original post by Wattsy
I've given people the necessary talks to drag themselves out of depression, I've changed a man's worldview in 1 hour but you Riku, are a complete alien to me. The things that you come out with are absolutely baffling. I think you need to really put your life in perspective and get your thoughts organised, confront your outlook and start beating it little by little, thought by thought. In order to do this the first step is realising that you need not be so defeatist and negative about everything you think about. There is a hope or positive in everything, you just aren't looking hard enough. Find the end of your tunnel, stay out of the way of the train.

I can appreciate it may seem unreasonably negative but have you heard of the Red Pill? It turns out a lot of my extreme views originate from there.

Quick Reply

Latest