The Student Room Group

mum makes fun of my dreams

I want to be a doctor and am working hard on my application for medicine this year. I often portion control my dad's snacks because he overeats without realising and has diabetes and I care about him. I overheard my mum telling him 'be careful X is coming, she thinks she's a doctor now so she'll take your snack away from you' in a weird laughing whisper. Today she was talking about how her brother didn't take his pressure meds and is unwell and told me, oh you should call him and tell him to take his meds and be careful' is an odd tone. I don't tell her much about my aspirations as she told all her friends my grades last year and I don't like sharing these things personally (I haven't even told my friends what I want to do!). I just hate how she undermines me. I tell my dad everything but maybe I should tell him to not tell my mum? help
This is what toxic mothers do from my own experience, ignore her
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I want to be a doctor and am working hard on my application for medicine this year. I often portion control my dad's snacks because he overeats without realising and has diabetes and I care about him. I overheard my mum telling him 'be careful X is coming, she thinks she's a doctor now so she'll take your snack away from you' in a weird laughing whisper. Today she was talking about how her brother didn't take his pressure meds and is unwell and told me, oh you should call him and tell him to take his meds and be careful' is an odd tone. I don't tell her much about my aspirations as she told all her friends my grades last year and I don't like sharing these things personally (I haven't even told my friends what I want to do!). I just hate how she undermines me. I tell my dad everything but maybe I should tell him to not tell my mum? help

Explain to your father that you care for him and why you don't want him to overeat. Make an effort to clarify things to your mother politely. Some parents just don't try to understand things if they're not informed about them clearly. Hopefully, things will get better.
Reply 3
This is just bad parenting. I would say do what you feel is right as long as you aren't causing damage to anyone and you are independent. With time she'll say less and less and eventually she'll stop minding your business.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending