The Student Room Group

OCR F581 Markets in Action - 11 May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hammy_23
Thanks for that :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is the feedback given by your teacher was just the red marks...keep posting more essays to improve because your teacher marking wasn't that good sorry. Did s/he tell you how to improve perhaps ???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by keynes24
10/18 , there is no reference (at least I couldn't see it) of L3 band 2. The evaluations are good but if introducing an alternative policy you should mention why it is better than subsidies.

Can you not mention why the alternative policy would be worse?
Haha yep I will cheers for that I just need to improve on the B I got last time

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 543
10/18 , there is no reference (at least I couldn't see it) of L3 band 2. The evaluations are good but if introducing an alternative policy you should mention why it is better than subsidies.

How could i explain how information provsion is better than subsidies?
Original post by Yousf

Depends on the case study, depends on the marke failure you are trying to solve.
Reply 545
Depends on the case study, depends on the marke failure you are trying to solve.

the one hammings posted
Original post by Yousf
the one hammings posted

i don't know what case study it refers to, if you provide an alternative answer I can help.
Original post by Yousf

I would advise against using information provision as an alternative. They usually don't give credit for it.
Original post by OrionMusicNet
Can you not mention why the alternative policy would be worse?

Truthfully, you can -the want to see the comparison after all.

However, I don't see the reason in mentioning another policy if it's weaker. It'd feel like you were trying to fill the essay with whatever came in your mind.

Other than that though, there isn't really any problem.
Reply 549
Original post by *Stefan*
Truthfully, you can -the want to see the comparison after all.

However, I don't see the reason in mentioning another policy if it's weaker. It'd feel like you were trying to fill the essay with whatever came in your mind.

Other than that though, there isn't really any problem.

Ohh ok, what policy do you think is stronger then?
Original post by Yousf

Any policy will be rewarded, there is no restriction in the mark scheme or any previous examination (as far as I know) indicating provision of information as an inadequate alternative. It obviously depends on the type of market failure and the case for you to use it or not depends on your ability to find a way to introduce it as a better alternative. If you are unable to find one then don't use it. What policies to use? Depends on the extract and question, you can't really generalised. If it is congestion you could argue subsidising public transportation would be better than taxes since it improves the quality of substitutes and encourages people to switch but a tax with a PED inelastic doesn't really encourage modal switch unless a suitable alternative is in placed. That's just one way of many......
Original post by Yousf

Did you mean government provision before (ie not provision of information)? If so, it may be accepted when a question about subsidies is set.

Which policies are stronger definitely depends on the context -if the text mentions, for example, that regulation is very strict, you could say that reducing regulation is the best/good alternative.
Reply 552
Any policy will be rewarded, there is no restriction in the mark scheme or any previous examination (as far as I know) indicating provision of information as an inadequate alternative. It obviously depends on the type of market failure and the case for you to use it or not depends on your ability to find a way to introduce it as a better alternative. If you are unable to find one then don't use it. What policies to use? Depends on the extract and question, you can't really generalised. If it is congestion you could argue subsidising public transportation would be better than taxes since it improves the quality of substitutes and encourages people to switch but a tax with a PED inelastic doesn't really encourage modal switch unless a suitable alternative is in placed. That's just one way of many......

ohh ok thanks
Can someone send me a structure to answer 6 mark answers? also any predictions on what's going to come up?

There is, actually;

"Alternatives may also be comparedwith subsidies but do not creditinformation provision." (Mark Scheme- January 2013. If I recall correctly there have been similar statements before.)
Original post by Melissawalkerrr
Can someone send me a structure to answer 6 mark answers? also any predictions on what's going to come up?

Pls be specific which type of questions on what

a simple diagram to explain the shift of d/s
or determinants of supply/demand
or asking about information failure
or public goods
or pos/neg externalities etc etc

all these has been as a 6markers before
Reply 556
Did you mean government provision before (ie not provision of information)? If so, it may be accepted when a question about subsidies is set.

Which policies are stronger definitely depends on the context -if the text mentions, for example, that regulation is very strict, you could say that reducing regulation is the best/good alternative.

oh ok
There is, actually;

"Alternatives may also be comparedwith subsidies but do not creditinformation provision." (Mark Scheme- January 2013. If I recall correctly there have been similar statements before.)

Is that housing? If that's the case I would say provision of information won't solve the problem since the question (I think) was to do with shortage or lack of affordability. Provision of information can be used when relevant. I should have emphasised depending on the market failure. Examples of when to use it? Alcohol or tobacco consumption, health care, sugar consumption or any market failure where there is lack of information. Another situation in which I would not use it apart from housing is congestion.
Original post by Melissawalkerrr

Three L3 points -one well explained, two in bullet-points like fashion (still a whole sentence though!).

Three L4 points -the same.

L3 refers to things like calculations of elasticies, whether the goods are substitutes/complements/distant-close substitutes/distant-close complements etc.

L4 refers to things like "the data may be be"/"it's estimates" etc.
Is that housing? If that's the case I would say provision of information won't solve the problem since the question (I think) was to do with shortage or lack of affordability. Provision of information can be used when relevant. I should have emphasised depending on the market failure. Examples of when to use it? Alcohol or tobacco consumption, health care, sugar consumption or any market failure where there is lack of information. Another situation in which I would not use it apart from housing is congestion.

I do agree -thing is, it can't really work with subsidies either, unless firms don't know how to operate their business (which is still a very weak point in my opinion).

Government provision -like stocks of materials- would be a far better alternative than information provision (again, in my opinion).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending