The Student Room Group

OCR F581 Markets in Action - 11 May 2015

Scroll to see replies

How are you to structure the 18 marker if you're given two policies e.g whether indirect taxation of regulation is better, do you have to do analysis for both and evaluations for both ? Surely that would be a very long essay...
Is what im saying here correct? -

For underprovision of goods that create positive externalities, 2 demand curves, one showing the private benefit, and one ti the right of it showing social benefit

For overprovision of goods that create negative externalities, 2 supply curves, one showing private cost and another showing social cost to the left of the first one

For overprovision of demerit goods, two demand curves , D1 to the left of D

For underprovision of merit goods, the opposite to the above? I.e. D1 is to the right of D.
Original post by hannb98
could someone do a general essay structure for if its on state provision? Not sure how to hit all the levels

State provision is not part of the syllabus. If you still need help post the question and your plan.
Original post by CamilleClarke
How are you to structure the 18 marker if you're given two policies e.g whether indirect taxation of regulation is better, do you have to do analysis for both and evaluations for both ? Surely that would be a very long essay...

doubt they would ask for two directly, more like to say one method and then use the words 'most' etc in the Q..
but yeah you would only need to do one - i would do taxation. then compare to regulation in the L4 comments and reach a conclusion
Original post by keynes24
State provision is not part of the syllabus. If you still need help post the question and your plan.

I know but there has still been questions..
Jan 2010: Discuss whether healthcare in the UK should be provided by the government or the private sector (18 marks)
Original post by hannb98
I know but there has still been questions..
Jan 2010: Discuss whether healthcare in the UK should be provided by the government or the private sector (18 marks)

That's a bit different. I have written a small plan for that question already. It refers to the case for/against government intervention
What are some pros and cons of tax? I only have 4 of each...
Original post by keynes24
That's a bit different. I have written a small plan for that question already. It refers to the case for/against government intervention

could you please share this?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by mickel_w

You don't really need pros other than hypothecation and perhaps that it's market based, you only really need cons and 4 is fine

4 of each are more than enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hannb98
doubt they would ask for two directly, more like to say one method and then use the words 'most' etc in the Q..
but yeah you would only need to do one - i would do taxation. then compare to regulation in the L4 comments and reach a conclusion

Thank you :smile: !

thats more than enough anyway!!!
pros: market based, reduces overconsumption... incentive to improve further (emissions -> unlike regulation), increases gov revenue - can be hypothecated. polluter pays so internalises externalities.

cons: reduces competitiveness -> lobbying/unemployment, what size?-> gov failure, what is social optimum?, opportunity cost, regressive so unfair, depends on PED -> inelastic.... , tax avoidance eg relocation of production or can buy goods overseas (e.g. booze cruises).
Original post by midgemeister7
You don't really need pros other than hypothecation and perhaps that it's market based, you only really need cons and 4 is fine

Is Hypothecation AS, I only know it from F584 and havent seen it on any revision material or past papers thus far
Original post by A level sufferer
Is Hypothecation AS, I only know it from F584 and havent seen it on any revision material or past papers thus far

not required but shows a good understanding!
is the whole point of government provision to make the social costs=private costs or the social benefits=private benefits??
Does inelastic supply mean price decreases by more following a subsidy than when supply is elastic? HELPPP
There is no diagram for public goods is there, because they are an example of a missing market?
okay so can someone tell me which essay topics do NOT need graphs
Original post by Pato1
okay so can someone tell me which essay topics do NOT need graphs

Ideally they all do
Original post by omar8888
Does inelastic supply mean price decreases by more following a subsidy than when supply is elastic? HELPPP

PES is irrelevant when addressing subsidies as subsidies decrease the Costs of Production which causes supply to increase (Shift right) The size of shift will not be different for an inelastic supply curve. The best way to answer that question is if you draw a diagram showing an increase in inelastic supply along the demand curve and then an increase in elastic supply along the demand curve. The equilibrium price/quantity will still be the same, no matter what the price elasticity of supply. It is the Price elasticity of demand that will determine a subsidy's effectiveness.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending