The Student Room Group

OCR F581 Markets in Action - 11 May 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1300
guarantee you tradeable permits wont come up
last year the 18 marker was about negative externalities on production
they wouldnt suit the theme of production 2 years in a row
anyone have an essay for regulation so I can see how I can approach a question and get a vague idea of how to answer it
Original post by *Stefan*
Yes.

Preferably, indicate the change in the surplus by phrases like "Existing consumer surplus" (point A) - "additional consumer surplus (point B)".

Guys, gotta go in a bit. If you need last-minute help with anything, now's the time!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I noticed in mark schemes sometimes for surplus diagrams, they just shade the region of for instance 'loss consumer surplus' and thats it, but sometimes in the mark scheme it says to label additional, original etc.

Also how do we explain alocative effeciency, for instance in TP, when supply shifts to the left(market diagram) do we saw q2-q1 so allocative effeciency achieved
Original post by Yousf
I noticed in mark schemes sometimes for surplus diagrams, they just shade the region of for instance 'loss consumer surplus' and thats it, but sometimes in the mark scheme it says to label additional, original etc.

Also how do we explain alocative effeciency, for instance in TP, when supply shifts to the left(market diagram) do we saw q2-q1 so allocative effeciency achieved

The more explicit you are, the better. I'd use all three possible ways - shading, letters and phrases.

I believe I explained this a few pages ago. Check it out!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jegro

What instead then?
Original post by anorris13
What instead then?

Do not listen. Revise all topics equally!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zzzzzz123456
Nah demand would as it would be more people wanting to buy the good, not more people wanting to sell it

I think your incorrect. For negative externalities for instance, regulations would raise cost of production, supply shifts and demand contracts. Only if the their are regulations on demerit goods, then demand would shift
Yes -it doesn't have to shift to the left though. If it's about regulations being relaxed, the supply curve should shift to the right.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Could you also argue that the demand curve also shifts to the right?

If something is made legal, more people are going to be doing/using it.
Original post by jegro

How do you know this!?
The more explicit you are, the better. I'd use all three possible ways - shading, letters and phrases.

I believe I explained this a few pages ago. Check it out!

Posted from TSR Mobile

For regulations, does demand curve shift for merit/demerit goods, and for
positive/negative externaliies, the supply curve shifts, right?
Reply 1310
Original post by Becky_boo84
Yeah that's fine. Examiners won't look at it and highlighters don't show up when the paper is scanned in anyway

Thank you!
Original post by anorris13
What instead then?

Regulation or Subsidy IMO
Original post by Yousf
I think your incorrect. For negative externalities for instance, regulations would raise cost of production, supply shifts and demand contracts. Only if the their are regulations on demerit goods, then demand would shift

yeah thats true... but didnt you ask about information provision? thats not a regulation... thats the government handing out leaflets and running adverts
Reply 1313
F581 June 2014 paper
Original post by zzzzzz123456
yeah thats true... but didnt you ask about information provision? thats not a regulation... thats the government handing out leaflets and running adverts

Nope, where you not talking about regulations o.o
Original post by Tedarien
Could you also argue that the demand curve also shifts to the right?

If something is made legal, more people are going to be doing/using it.

Don't make this mistake: it depends on what the regulations focus on.

If it's lowering the legal age of alcohol consumption, then demand for alcohol would be expected to increase.

If, however, it was about more materials being allowed for production, supply would be expected to increase.

Always relate the answer back to the case.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Yousf
For regulations, does demand curve shift for merit/demerit goods, and for
positive/negative externaliies, the supply curve shifts, right?

A merit good is one which has positive externalities, whilst a demerit good negative externalities. Don't make the distinction so absolute.

It's easy to know whom the regulation is intended for: if it's about the supply of a product/its producers, it'll be the supply curve. If it is about the demand of a product/consumers, it'll be the demand curve. Just try to understand whom the regulation will have an effect on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jegro

what do you think will come up ?
A merit good is one which has positive externalities, whilst a demerit good negative externalities. Don't make the distinction so absolute.

It's easy to know whom the regulation is intended for: if it's about the supply of a product/its producers, it'll be the supply curve. If it is about the demand of a product/consumers, it'll be the demand curve. Just try to understand whom the regulation will have an effect on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok, thanks for your help!, one more thing, does information provision NORMALLY affect the demand curve?
Original post by Yousf
Ok, thanks for your help!, one more thing, does information provision NORMALLY affect the demand curve?

It almost always affects the demand curve.

There may be the rare case where it's intended for producers, but that's unlikely (in which case it affects the supply curve) .

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending