The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Profesh
If you've the pre-eminent initiative and perspicacity of intellect to acquit yourself in a field such as investment banking; all other considerations being equal, doesn't it stand to reason that you probably will have attended one of the above-mentioned?

Yours is analogous to that age-old fallacy perpetrated in relation to careers at the Bar, where graduates of Oxford and Cambridge yet prevail among the majority: suffice it to say that the sort of person that is capable of answering a call to the Bar will be typically (more) prevalent at Oxbridge, hence that its composition (in terms of alumni) should reflect this. It is inductive reasoning to infer from such, per se, that a graduate of Manchester or, say, Bristol would encounter discrimination more by virtue of their alma mater than the simple fact that those who satisfy the academic and intellectual pre-requisites for banking are statistically more likely to have attended Oxford, Cambridge, the L.S.E. et al by default. Had 'City Trader' attended Manchester, I imagine he'd still be where he is today; but then, how many people with his academic credentials would settle for Manchester?

All of which isn't to deny or to repudiate the legacy of the old boys' network (among other such 'connections', enjoyed by universities whose graduates permeate every facet of the industry); but your assertion does not hold water.

:confused: do you talk like that
Reply 81
Thank you many of you for your kind private messages.

To conclude on this, I don't appreciate being called a liar without substantiation. I will defend myself if provoked. I'm not here to boast or gloat. I'm here to talk about finance. And that's it.

As an aside, a company came out with their christmas trading statement. As my first stock call, I was one of four teams in the country to get the call bang on. A fund manager called this morning and said our recommendation 'embarassed' some of the guys at GS and Citi. We also were more correct than the guys I'm supposed to be working with at Merrills. Now you can see why they've fast-tracked me through.
rboogie

To conclude on this, I don't appreciate being called a liar without substantiation. I will defend myself if provoked. I'm not here to boast or gloat. I'm here to talk about finance. And that's it.

As an aside, a company came out with their christmas trading statement. As my first stock call, I was one of four teams in the country to get the call bang on. A fund manager called this morning and said our recommendation 'embarassed' some of the guys at GS and Citi. We also were more correct than the guys I'm supposed to be working with at Merrills. Now you can see why they've fast-tracked me through.

lol :biggrin:
Reply 83
rboogie

LONG LIVE RBOOOOGIEEEEEE!!! :tsr2:
Profesh
If you've the pre-eminent initiative and perspicacity of intellect to acquit yourself in a field such as investment banking; all other considerations being equal, doesn't it stand to reason that you probably will have attended one of the above-mentioned?

Yours is analogous to that age-old fallacy perpetrated in relation to careers at the Bar, where graduates of Oxford and Cambridge yet prevail among the majority: suffice it to say that the sort of person that is capable of answering a call to the Bar will be typically (more) prevalent at Oxbridge, hence that its composition (in terms of alumni) should reflect this. It is inductive reasoning to infer from such, per se, that a graduate of Manchester or, say, Bristol would encounter discrimination more by virtue of their alma mater than the simple fact that those who satisfy the academic and intellectual pre-requisites for banking are statistically more likely to have attended Oxford, Cambridge, the L.S.E. et al by default. Had 'City Trader' attended Manchester, I imagine he'd still be where he is today; but then, how many people with his academic credentials would settle for Manchester?

All of which isn't to deny or to repudiate the legacy of the old boys' network (among other such 'connections', enjoyed by universities whose graduates permeate every facet of the industry); but your assertion does not hold water.

The facile approach you take to the complexity of the situation of undergraduate education and graduate recruitment is really rather outstanding; although, sadly, not really that distinct from the baseless arrogance held by a wide range of high-achieving undergraduate students. While it is true that, in general, better students will got to better universities – which seems to be your only real assertion (and what an incisive one!) – the situation is notably more complex.

For example, as I’m sure you’re aware as a Law student, there is a huge disproportion within subject areas and departments that will be relevant both to your quality of teaching, graduate recruitment in that area, and quality of the pupils around; it is simply not valid to say that History at Warwick will outperform History at Durham (widely understood as the best if not one of the absolute top departments in the country in the field) – especially with regard to the quality of student and so on. Of course, an graduate recruiter at an IB is unlikely to know this, but this does not detract from the point in question: namely, that the top-achieving at A-Level students go to the most-reputed departments, not the most-reputed Universities.

Additionally, the variation of intellect within even a good university like Durham is simply outstanding; there are many who I often wonder how they even got into university in the first place. Talking with my friends at Cambridge, Royal Holloway and Imperial this does seem to be a widespread trend. Which shouldn’t actually be that surprising, when one takes into account the undergraduate application farce in this country.

Nevermind, what remains important is that students are aware that BBs choose based on whether you go to a top university as perhaps the single most important criterion – without being at one of those universities listed, it would be extremely difficult to get into a BB FO. Personally I think this is on the whole irrational, baseless elitism (although I do understand that without it recruitment would be near-enough impossible), and I think that those who argue to the contrary are simply entrenching the system by forcing students into the universities arbitrarily chosen by graduate employers. Oh, and get over yourself.
I concur
jasperstory
The facile approach you take to the complexity of the situation of undergraduate education and graduate recruitment is really rather outstanding; although, sadly, not really that distinct from the baseless arrogance held by a wide range of high-achieving undergraduate students. While it is true that, in general, better students will got to better universities which seems to be your only real assertion (and what an incisive one!) the situation is notably more complex.

For example, as I’m sure you’re aware as a Law student, there is a huge disproportion within subject areas and departments that will be relevant both to your quality of teaching, graduate recruitment in that area, and quality of the pupils around; it is simply not valid to say that History at Warwick will outperform History at Durham (widely understood as the best if not one of the absolute top departments in the country in the field) especially with regard to the quality of student and so on. Of course, an graduate recruiter at an IB is unlikely to know this, but this does not detract from the point in question: namely, that the top-achieving at A-Level students go to the most-reputed departments, not the most-reputed Universities.

I was under the impression that the Cambridge history department is the most reputed worldwide, let alone the UK.

Anyway, that's beside the point, graduate recruiters actually do know about which departments are doing well at which universities, for example, although Southampton appears not to be on the milkround, their aeronautical and mechanical engineers do well in getting into IBs, relative to the university as a whole, since engineering there is recognised to be one of the better places in the country to study that subject.

Also, saying "top-acheiving A-level students" is now all a bit arbitrary, since we have a system which grants the top grade to 25% of candidates, and so many get the "hallowed" 3 As at A-level. It is merely a manifestation of the farce that the UK education system has become under this government, and just as you say that the top students will not just exist at the top universities, having 3 As at A-level is no longer an indication of a "top student" and the situation is some what more complex than you make it out as we have a 2 tier A-level system where courses like physics, maths, further maths, economics and others make up the "harder courses" and things like business, accounting, sociology, psychology and others make up the "easier courses", and don't accuse me of intellectual snobbery as the top universities have recognised this and published A-level "black lists", for example LSE and Oxbridge. Hence saying X university has taken on Y number of 3 As students is not an indication that that university is a "top university", as it once used to be, and is no longer an indication of having the top, most intellectually capable students, as it once was. This is exactly why Cambridge has pledged to start its own A-level beating qualification, introduced thinking assessment tests for applicants and interviews each candidate who applies.

Additionally, the variation of intellect within even a good university like Durham is simply outstanding; there are many who I often wonder how they even got into university in the first place. Talking with my friends at Cambridge, Royal Holloway and Imperial this does seem to be a widespread trend. Which shouldn’t actually be that surprising, when one takes into account the undergraduate application farce in this country.

I think your case about Cambridge and Imperial is perhaps a mis-statement. Having attended both, I have met people who are either socially incapable, or appear to be completely bonkers. Don't mistake that with academic ability. I knew a guy at Cambridge doing maths who could barely string a sentence together and appeared to be somewhat unintelligent, yet he simply blitzed the Tripos, in a university where mathematical geniuses are not rare.

Undergraduate applications are a farce, for the majority of universities, yet those gaining places at the top 4 don't do so without careful consideration, as is reflected in the low dropout rates at those unviersities you can see in the league tables.

Nevermind, what remains important is that students are aware that BBs choose based on whether you go to a top university as perhaps the single most important criterion without being at one of those universities listed, it would be extremely difficult to get into a BB FO. Personally I think this is on the whole irrational, baseless elitism (although I do understand that without it recruitment would be near-enough impossible), and I think that those who argue to the contrary are simply entrenching the system by forcing students into the universities arbitrarily chosen by graduate employers. Oh, and get over yourself.

I don't think it is irrational or baseless; it is elitism in the sense that the banks seem to walk up to the top 5/6 unis only, but that only ever seems to bother the "non-elite", as it were. It is not elitism in the sense that a position can be achieved at these top universities through meritocracy, not aristocracy, I know people from council estates who got into Oxbridge, hence if one is intelligent enough and capable enough to get into the "elite" universities, then they will receive a place regardless of background, creed, gender etc.

It is not baseless because applications are going into the hundreds per place on offer. Candidates need to be screened and whittled down to just a handful and although I can't deny that intelligent people do go to the non-elite universities, the likelihood of finding the next top banker or trader is simply higher at those elite universities the banks recruit from. Its all about probabilities. A double starred first in Economics from Cambridge will not guarantee a star trader, however it is more likely one can be found there than a student who has similar academic credentials at, say, Anglia Polytechnic down the road.

People should not be forced to arbitrarily choose unversities based on where the relevant graduate recruiters are going, however it is also true that the most dynamic, ambitious and able students will get into the top universities and for them the desire to work in these top jobs or attend these top universities will discount the fact that they may have chosen that university arbitrarily. This is just another reason why banks do and should go to the top universities.
A sensible reply.

Anyway, that's beside the point, graduate recruiters actually do know about which departments are doing well at which universities, for example, although Southampton appears not to be on the milkround, their aeronautical and mechanical engineers do well in getting into IBs, relative to the university as a whole, since engineering there is recognised to be one of the better places in the country to study that subject.

I am surprised to hear that, it is good news certainly. Incidentally I think this was really a tangential point - it wasn't a focus of mine of whether the best students got into Investment Banking, but rather Profesh's assertion that the best students got into the best Universities. The idea that graduate recruiters, even those not directly concerned with the subject areas in question merely re-inforces this point: recruiters are recognising that the best way to find the best students is often through department, rather than university.

Of course, the most-reputable universities often have the most-reputed departments, but for a wide range of subjects, I think this isn't examined closely enough.

Also, saying "top-acheiving A-level students" is now all a bit arbitrary, since we have a system which grants the top grade to 25% of candidates, and so many get the "hallowed" 3 As at A-level...

I agree entirely, and note how I didn't say best, but rather top-achieving. The two are, within the current system, not synonymous. Firstly, as you say, there are a great number of students getting absolutely top marks, which must imply that a good number of average students are getting AAA. And secondly, due to the nature of the marking systems within certain subjects, there are consistent reports of top students being failed by the examination system, which often rewards basic, repetitive work and fails to reward interest and academic excellency.

I think your case about Cambridge and Imperial is perhaps a mis-statement. Having attended both, I have met people who are either socially incapable, or appear to be completely bonkers. Don't mistake that with academic ability.

This does seem to be the case with most mathematicians and scientists, certainly; at certain universities they are often complete lunatics, but are also exceptionally talented. I suppose coming from a more arts-based background I find that a lot of students for subjects like Law, Geography, and even Economics don't seem particularly bright. I was talking to an Economics student at Durham who was a complete moron.

Due to the farce that is A-Levels (I don't know much about the American SAT system but it certainly looks a great improvement) and this country's undergraduate application system (mostly as a result of the examination system) often failing, I think it's fair to say there are a lot of average students at the top universities, especially those that do not interview.

Regarding elitism:

Well while it's true that a greater number of students from poorer social backgrounds are making it into to Oxford and Cambridge, and this certainly is a good thing, there is still a far way to go. I would have thought this was fairly obvious.

Private students still do a lot better at undergraduate admissions, and therefore, unless you're making the presumption that the rich are genetically predisposed to be more intelligent, there is a form of elitism within this, and therefore, subsequently within graduate recruitment. There are also other aspects such as the importance of expensive formal attire in securing a job and so on.

Look, I'm not making a huge statement against the top banks choosing from the top universities, and how awful this is. I understand the constraints they are under, and I appreciate a number of programs they seem to put on for poorer or disadvantaged students. However, I think it is a bit silly that there is an initial university screening to the extent there is currently. Durham has the fourth highest entry profile (or did quite recently, I haven't kept up) in the country - their students are incredibly smart. Is the different between the top 5 and top 6-10 so big as to warrant a near-blanket coverage of the former within BB FOs and almost a complete lack of coverage of the latter?

I don't think so.
The banks arent required to be "fair" when taking candidates though. They dont need to fill government quotas and take a certain amount of people from certain backgrounds and balance them out by what crappy comp they went to. If they think that the top 5 provide a better rounded education and a more complete graduate then why cant the recruit exclusively from there. It may be at their own peril but its well within their rights.
My point was a normative one - what they 'ought' to do. In theory they would probably gain from it anyways, having better students.
Reply 90
jasperstory
Private students still do a lot better at undergraduate admissions, and therefore, unless you're making the presumption that the rich are genetically predisposed to be more intelligent, there is a form of elitism within this, and therefore, subsequently within graduate recruitment.

Actually, the state-private breakdown of Oxbridge entrants reflects the breakdown of the applicants. I don't know specifically about socio-economic breakdown, however I'm not aware of any evidence showing that a specific group disproportionately out-perform the others.
City bound
Actually, the state-private breakdown of Oxbridge entrants reflects the breakdown of the applicants. I don't know specifically about socio-economic breakdown, however I'm not aware of any evidence showing that a specific group disproportionately out-perform the others.

Maybe at Oxbridge, but on a whole the average public school student does tend to do a lot better. Even with similar grades.
Reply 92
Hi, I would appreciate if someone could help me out. I have attained BBBa in Chem, Bio, Biz studies and Maths AS. I am now resitting and taking on A2 maths aswell. I expect to get AAAA.

My aim is to get into IB. Realistically speaking, what chances do I have to get into IB(front/middle office)? I have applied for the following courses:

City(CASS- how is it regarded in the world of IB?) - Investment and Financial Risk Management
Warwick - Acc n Fin
LSE - Acc n Fin
Bristol - Acc n Econ
Cardiff - Acc n Econ

I am unsure what I should do for my last place. Would Economics at a place like Nottingham/SOAS be better or would I better of going with Acc n Fin at Bath? Really speaking, the chances of getting into LSE or Warwick is not high, so I need an alternative. I intend to do a masters after my undergrad.

Or if anyone else has any suggestions, can't wait to hear it. The deadline is at 15th Jan, so I don't have a lot of time. I would appreciate any help or advice.

Cheers
jasperstory
This does seem to be the case with most mathematicians and scientists, certainly; at certain universities they are often complete lunatics, but are also exceptionally talented. I suppose coming from a more arts-based background I find that a lot of students for subjects like Law, Geography, and even Economics don't seem particularly bright. I was talking to an Economics student at Durham who was a complete moron.

I do remember talking to an economist at Cambridge who didn't know the difference between free and fair trade, but in general I don't think it is merely confined to scientists. Some artsy people seem completely dopy and you wonder how they even managed to fill in the application form, let alone get in, but academically they are very good.

Regarding elitism:

Well while it's true that a greater number of students from poorer social backgrounds are making it into to Oxford and Cambridge, and this certainly is a good thing, there is still a far way to go. I would have thought this was fairly obvious.

Yes, there is a discrepancy in Oxbridge admissions, however the root of the problem is not the selection point but it is with the sixth form schools and teachers themselves. They are the biggest culprits in failing to inspire students in state/comprehensive schools and helping them pursue a place at the top universities, not the admissions tutors. At the time I applied, I was even mocked by one of my teachers when told I was interviewing with Cambridge, that is the attitude which exists in the schools which actually need to be actively encouraging their students.

Private students still do a lot better at undergraduate admissions, and therefore, unless you're making the presumption that the rich are genetically predisposed to be more intelligent, there is a form of elitism within this, and therefore, subsequently within graduate recruitment. There are also other aspects such as the importance of expensive formal attire in securing a job and so on.

No, I don't make that presumption. However, go into the top independent and public schools in this country, and you see that from day 1 they are trained to pursure the top universities, they are given the complete support structure needed to pass the admissions process - from personal statement editing and reviewing to interview preparation, indeed many of their teachers and parents have also attended Oxbridge. Schools like NLC and Westminster literally have their entire year group ship off to either Oxford or Cambridge.

Elitism does not exist in admissions for the top universites, not on the scale the media and lazy underachievers would have you believe. The biggest single problem are teachers who cannot inspire their class enough and who fail to recognise true talent in state schools. I know this because I have both been a student and a volunteer teacher at those schools, I have both the perspectives covered.

Regarding formal attire, actually the opposite is true. An M&S suit for interns and graduates is generally expected behaviour as the banks now put extreme attention to dicrete and subtle behaviour. DB's head of communication told me that they frown upon staff driving exotic cars to work, MS fired traders because they attended strip clubs, GS are cracking down on employees spending upto £100k a night in clubs on fine champagne, their car park is full of Volvos. It is definitely not required that one needs to wear a tailored Gieves & Hawkes suit to make an impression on interviewers.

Look, I'm not making a huge statement against the top banks choosing from the top universities, and how awful this is. I understand the constraints they are under, and I appreciate a number of programs they seem to put on for poorer or disadvantaged students. However, I think it is a bit silly that there is an initial university screening to the extent there is currently. Durham has the fourth highest entry profile (or did quite recently, I haven't kept up) in the country - their students are incredibly smart. Is the different between the top 5 and top 6-10 so big as to warrant a near-blanket coverage of the former within BB FOs and almost a complete lack of coverage of the latter?

I don't think so.

Yes, perhaps it is a sad state of affairs, however, I certainly don't think its elitism. Maybe it is highly linear thinking, but the most able go off to the top 5 hence the banks just target those. I mean, it is not unheard of to have students from Durham going into banking, as far as I am aware it seems to have a decent standing with the banks.

In short, the problem is in the state education system, not elitism of admissions tutors.
City bound

I don't agree. Last time I checked, Cambridge's population was 51-49 state:tongue:rivate, hence privately educated individuals are hugely overrepresented. However, as I said above, I believe the problem is not with the universities, but the state education system.
Reply 95
LBC213
I don't agree. Last time I checked, Cambridge's population was 51-49 state:tongue:rivate, hence privately educated individuals are hugely overrepresented. However, as I said above, I believe the problem is not with the universities, but the state education system.

I think what he meant was that although the student makeup is approx. 50:50 (give or take 5% either way), this is the same ratio as the applications to Oxbridge, i.e. their applications come from around half state, half private.

But of course what the means is that the universities themselves are not discriminating against state schoolers, as you say. The real difficulty is getting enough state school kids to apply in the first place.
As an outsider from the UK education system i d agree about A levels being easy to achieve grade A and about the 2-tier courses. My country's system is no way better. USA is even worse: SATs include a lot of multiple choice questions to be marked by scanners, scandals in schools (like teachers correcting their students papers after the test has finished with aim to get pay rise).
tom391
I think what he meant was that although the student makeup is approx. 50:50 (give or take 5% either way), this is the same ratio as the applications to Oxbridge, i.e. their applications come from around half state, half private.

But of course what the means is that the universities themselves are not discriminating against state schoolers, as you say. The real difficulty is getting enough state school kids to apply in the first place.

Bare in mind that these 'state' schools are highly selective faith schools or grammar schools. I don't believe Oxbridge have ever had trouble giving either access.

It's bog standard low performing comprehensives that they have trouble with.
Pretty Boy Floyd
Bare in mind that these 'state' schools are highly selective faith schools or grammar schools. I don't believe Oxbridge have ever had trouble giving either access.

Which, to be honest is what should be expected in a selective system. If people were more realistic and streamed pupils according to their ability where it was appropriate, the system would end up performing much better. Unfortunately it is anathema to the education establishment (which has done such a great job that their opinion should be trusted:rolleyes: ) so will not happen for the forseeable future. Until it does, don't expect the ratios to change without gerrymandering by government.
Reply 99
Pretty Boy Floyd

From today's Cherwell

http://www.cherwell.org/news/comprehensives_squeezed_out_by_grammar_elite

Latest

Trending

Trending