The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I found out on Saturday that I passed Grade 8 Singing! :smile:
Oh my God I got a distinction. :biggrin:
Eeeeeeee!
She was veryyyyy genrous with her marks for scales top be honest though.
So happy now!
I'll be doing grade 5 theory and grade 6 piano next session but there isn't a thread for next year yet :frown:

I'm finding theory hellish at the moment. I've never done any theory before and I hadn't really anticipated how difficult it would be to throw myself in at grade 5 when I have no prior knowledge. I am enjoying it, in a masochistic way, and it feels great when I finally understand something, but it's so frustrating when I keep getting things muddled up and not being able to see where I'm going wrong. Just needed to rant a little :o:
LH: grade 6 piano and you have no prior theory knowledge?! are you sure?!

I do know how you feel though (to an extent). I entered school in Year 7 not able to read music at all and only able to play the recorder a tiny bit. I carried on playing the recorder and messing around on the piano a bit, took some singing lessons and finally took my Grade 5 Theory in Year 13, having never taken any theory exams before and having only taken 2 formal music exams (Grade 3 and 5 Voice). So it was a bit overwhelming to start with the theory from scratch like that....remember writing out my cycle of fifths over and over again...!
Indeed.
I found out on Saturday that I passed Grade 8 Singing! :smile:

Congrats :biggrin:

Doublereedfreak
Oh my God I got a distinction.
Eeeeeeee!
She was veryyyyy genrous with her marks for scales top be honest though.
So happy now!

Wehay!! :biggrin:
Angelil
LH: grade 6 piano and you have no prior theory knowledge?! are you sure?!

I do know how you feel though (to an extent). I entered school in Year 7 not able to read music at all and only able to play the recorder a tiny bit. I carried on playing the recorder and messing around on the piano a bit, took some singing lessons and finally took my Grade 5 Theory in Year 13, having never taken any theory exams before and having only taken 2 formal music exams (Grade 3 and 5 Voice). So it was a bit overwhelming to start with the theory from scratch like that....remember writing out my cycle of fifths over and over again...!

I'm not at all sure! I've done grade 3 and grade 5 piano, and don't feel toooo worried about taking grade 6 next summer (except for the sightreading, which I've failed hard at both times before), but theory is completely new grounds for me. Some of it I do find okay, since it's stuff I've sort of learned through reading sheet music and learning scales for grades, but a lot of it is completely new to me. I've got until November to learn it, and will hopefully be able to spend a lot of time on it since I'm basically on a gap year now and highly doubt I'll be lucky enough to find a job any time soon, but yeah. Still scary stuff. I just really, really want to do it now since I know I'm highly unlikely to bother carrying on with music grades at university, and it is something I want to learn...it's just really frustrating me at the moment, haha.
You'll make it :smile: Fear not! You have plenty of time on your hands to just get it done by the sounds of things :smile: I took a year and a half to do mine, but I think that was on only one class a week in term time...
Yeah, it'll be nice to be able to spend lots of time every day learning theory and learning things for the exam. I did quite badly in grade 5 piano since it fell in the same week as 2 other exams and I was more worried about A level work, and I reeeeally would like to get a better mark this time! Although I've just been into town today to buy the book of grade 6 pieces and they look scary. There is a biiig difference between grade 5 and grade 6 :s-smilie:
I got a distinction at Grade 8 piano! I was really shocked as I was only half expecting to pass it, and hadn't dared to hope for anything more. It was only just a distinction, but I'm still euphoric!:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :woo: :eek3:

LostHorizons
...there isn't a thread for next year yet :frown: ...

This thread has been going for years! 2003, if I remember correctly (which is highly unlikely but I'm not looking now).
meatball893
I got a distinction at Grade 8 piano! I was really shocked as I was only half expecting to pass it, and hadn't dared to hope for anything more. It was only just a distinction, but I'm still euphoric!:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :woo: :eek3:

This thread has been going for years! 2003, if I remember correctly (which is highly unlikely but I'm not looking now).

Ah, I just checked. 2006, haha. I just assumed it'd been made for the current session.

Well done on the distinction! The best mark I've ever managed is 4 marks off a distinction in grade 3 piano :o: I am going to work myself into an early grave to get distinctions in grade 5 music theory and grade 6 piano next year!
meatball893

Well done you! I passed Grade 8 Piano and I still can't quite believe it! :woo: :biggrin:
Was so ill when I took the exam; I was completely convinced I'd failed :smile:
Happy times :biggrin:

Latest