The Student Room Group

Am I likely to be accepted onto an Access Course at 18?

Hello! I'm currently doing an engineering apprenticeship after leaving school however Engineering is really not for me and I'm desperate to go uni. Looked at a few access course, however I will only be 18 in September 2015 (will be 19 in January 2016) so was wondering if I would be accepted or not? I have looked it up and it doesn't seem strict on the age more that 19 and overs are more likely to have life experience, which I feel I do have after 2 years in an apprenticeship.
I applied for my local Warwickshire college and they said I should be 19, however having read a few other threads some people seem to be 17 or 18 so how did these people go about getting onto a course? Would really rather not have to do 2 years of a-levels full time as I dont want to waste another year after the apprenticeship and all my friends will have left town so want to go uni asap. I love history and got an A at gcse so my aim is to study something humanities based at uni!

lot of questions would be great if i got some help!
cheers :smile:
Original post by gerryg
Hello! I'm currently doing an engineering apprenticeship after leaving school however Engineering is really not for me and I'm desperate to go uni. Looked at a few access course, however I will only be 18 in September 2015 (will be 19 in January 2016) so was wondering if I would be accepted or not? I have looked it up and it doesn't seem strict on the age more that 19 and overs are more likely to have life experience, which I feel I do have after 2 years in an apprenticeship.
I applied for my local Warwickshire college and they said I should be 19, however having read a few other threads some people seem to be 17 or 18 so how did these people go about getting onto a course? Would really rather not have to do 2 years of a-levels full time as I dont want to waste another year after the apprenticeship and all my friends will have left town so want to go uni asap. I love history and got an A at gcse so my aim is to study something humanities based at uni!

lot of questions would be great if i got some help!
cheers :smile:

My friend was accepted at 18 but that was because there was very few on the course. I would ring the college directly and ask if there would be a possibility if you would be considered. In my experience, access courses are tailored towards those who have left education a long time ago and need to be gradually eased in and given a refreshing background.
Reply 2
Yeah phone them directly with your situation. Although tbh you are not a mature student so it frustrates me when students want to jump on the access course train! Access courses are designed for people who have not been studying for a long time and typically have a lot more ties, not just eager to do it in a year so they are alone in a town! Some colleges however do allow students to do A.S and A2 in the same year and your A grade is fantastic and you are doing engineering so you sound like a v.competent student who could do the courses in one year. Furthermore the access course is not very thorough and ALevels are far more desireable to unis, I honestly feel you would benefit from doing A levels at your age.
Original post by GangBang
ALevels are far more desireable to unis, I honestly feel you would benefit from doing A levels at your age.

I've heard the opposite. Access courses prove a significant commitment to higher education, and you learn a lot of skills, such as referencing, that you often don't at A Level. It's easy to be pushed down the route of uni at 18... it's an entirely different thing to put your life on hold, and return to education after what has usually been years of earning money. Universities love the fact that mature students have more life experience.

I would also say that Access courses are actually quite in-depth, from my experience so far.

I've never once heard a uni representative or admissions office say they favour A levels.
Reply 4
Thanks for the replies!
There are a number of reasons why I would prefer and access course. They seem more in line with what studying at university would be like and I much prefer studying with older students (this being one of the reasons behind doing and apprenticeship, much more mature environment). I feel like I'd study a lot better in this environment where its largely based on self study. I also feel as if after being out of school for 2 years, I would need some more basic stuff to brush up on at the start- like any other mature student, an access course offers this, a levels do not. As for taking somebody's place I find this a bit harsh that just because I'm 1 year younger than I should be I have to spend an extra year studying for qualifications that I don't feel suit me, when the reasons behind wanting an access course are exactly the same as many of the mature students. I'd understand if I'd just finished GCSE's, but I haven't I've been in work for 2 years and made a false start, as I'm sure many young people will do with there careers!
Any advice on how to persuade a college to take me??
Reply 5
Original post by gerryg

Any advice on how to persuade a college to take me??

I don't think it's a matter of persuading them - it will be a college policy. Either they will accept you or they won't. You just need to shop around and find one which will take you. Either that, or wait until you hit the acceptance age for the college(s) within your range.
Reply 6
Original post by Klix88
I don't think it's a matter of persuading them - it will be a college policy. Either they will accept you or they won't. You just need to shop around and find one which will take you. Either that, or wait until you hit the acceptance age for the college(s) within your range.

OKay great thanks for the help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending