The Student Room Group

9 or 12 module maths

Hi all
I want to do 12 modules but my school are only letting me do 9 currently and they seem to be very strict in who they let do 12. I am aspiring to do engineering in one of the top unis such a cambridge after achieving very good gcse results. I know I can do the 12 modules as I have more or less finished 4 of them. What should I do if my school don't let me though? Can i sit a module outside of school?
Any help at all would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Are you saying they will not let you pay to take the units?

It will not be easy to take units at 2 centres as they may be on the same day.
Reply 2
That is correct they are not letting me take the 3 modules. If they are of the same board though why would they clash? I thought an exam has to be taken at the same time across the country?
Original post by readyman
That is correct they are not letting me take the 3 modules. If they are of the same board though why would they clash? I thought an exam has to be taken at the same time across the country?

They have exams at the same time never mind on the same day

For example, Edexcel C4 and S4 same time same day, or D1 and M2 same time same day
and many others
Reply 4
Original post by TenOfThem
They have exams at the same time never mind on the same day

For example, Edexcel C4 and S4 same time same day, or D1 and M2 same time same day
and many others

Yes I will be doing 9 modules over the two years. More specifically, in year 12 this year I will be doing c1,c2,c3,m1,m2 and next year i will be doing five more modules. I think doing the full twelve is very useful for engineering. This year I would have to sit the c4 privately.
Yes I will be doing 9 modules over the two years. More specifically, in year 12 this year I will be doing c1,c2,c3,m1,m2 and next year i will be doing five more modules. I think doing the full twelve is very useful for engineering. This year I would have to sit the c4 privately.

Well, as I have said - sitting at another centre could prove difficult

Even if you are lucky enough to not have maths clashes there could be exams in your other subjects

I cannot see what the problem is for your school - offer to do a mock in the units you want to self study - if you do well enough in the mock I cannot see why they would say no
Reply 6

Depending on where you're applying to, having completed the A-Level in the year may not actually be beneficial to take the full A-level a year early.
Reply 7
Well, as I have said - sitting at another centre could prove difficult

Even if you are lucky enough to not have maths clashes there could be exams in your other subjects

I cannot see what the problem is for your school - offer to do a mock in the units you want to self study - if you do well enough in the mock I cannot see why they would say no

hat is what I am annoyed about. I have changed to this school after my GCSEs as it is better than my previous school. They started straight off from c3 meaning I had to catch up with c1 and c2 while doing c3. They recently had a test to decide who is doing 9 and who is doing 12. I was a few marks off doing 12 frustratingly. I have checked my timetable and it will not clash with other subjects.
Reply 8
Original post by joostan
Depending on where you're applying to, having completed the A-Level in the year may not actually be beneficial to take the full A-level a year early.

I want to apply for engineering or possibly economics depending how the subject goes this year. Doing an a level in maths and an a level in further maths is beneficial for such courses.
Reply 9
I want to apply for engineering or possibly economics depending how the subject goes this year. Doing an a level in maths and an a level in further maths is beneficial for such courses.

True, but I said where not what :tongue:
hat is what I am annoyed about. I have changed to this school after my GCSEs as it is better than my previous school. They started straight off from c3 meaning I had to catch up with c1 and c2 while doing c3. They recently had a test to decide who is doing 9 and who is doing 12. I was a few marks off doing 12 frustratingly. I have checked my timetable and it will not clash with other subjects.

TBH

You should have checked the fine print prior to applying to this sixth form
Reply 11
Original post by joostan
True, but I said where not what :tongue:

Oh sorry I must've sounded very patronising; I am aiming for oxbridge.
Reply 12
TBH

You should have checked the fine print prior to applying to this sixth form

The departments for my other subjects in the school are a big upgrade compared to my previous so I needed to change. I just want to know any solutions to the current predicament I am in.
Oh sorry I must've sounded very patronising

Haha, not really. :smile:

I am aiming for oxbridge.

Hmm from memory Oxford only run an Engineering Science course, as for Cambridge, it may be worth waiting, because even if you take C4 and get a good A-level grade, Cambridge may well not include it in your offer.
The departments for my other subjects in the school are a big upgrade compared to my previous so I needed to change. I just want to know any solutions to the current predicament I am in.

I have given you the solution - self study - offer to do a mock
Reply 15
Original post by joostan
Haha, not really. :smile:

Hmm from memory Oxford only run an Engineering Science course, as for Cambridge, it may be worth waiting, because even if you take C4 and get a good A-level grade, Cambridge may well not include it in your offer.

Do you possibly know what modules they prefer to do?

For Engineering or Maths, mechanics is certainly better but Econ is full of stats so they might be into that kind of thing.
Reply 17

One thing I would advise is try to decide where your passion really lies and concentrate on that subject and what you need to succeed in it. Don't decide on a university and then try to flip about between subjects in some sort of tactical effort to get in - top universities are very good at sensing when applicants don't have a genuine enthusiasm for the subject they're applying for.

Broadly speaking you want as much FP as possible, followed by as much Mechanics then Stats (flip the last two around if you are serious about Economics).

If your school makes it difficult or not feasible to take the full A2 FM then you can make the university aware of this in your application. Taking AS FM is better than nothing, and it always looks good if you self-study some modules even if you can't take the exams in those modules.
Reply 18
Original post by davros
One thing I would advise is try to decide where your passion really lies and concentrate on that subject and what you need to succeed in it. Don't decide on a university and then try to flip about between subjects in some sort of tactical effort to get in - top universities are very good at sensing when applicants don't have a genuine enthusiasm for the subject they're applying for.

Broadly speaking you want as much FP as possible, followed by as much Mechanics then Stats (flip the last two around if you are serious about Economics).

If your school makes it difficult or not feasible to take the full A2 FM then you can make the university aware of this in your application. Taking AS FM is better than nothing, and it always looks good if you self-study some modules even if you can't take the exams in those modules.

I have always loved physics but having started economics and I find it very interesting so I am slightly torn between the two. Any recommendation on what I should do? If I do self study but not do the exam how will it look good if I have nothing to show for it?
Reply 19
I have always loved physics but having started economics and I find it very interesting so I am slightly torn between the two. Any recommendation on what I should do? If I do self study but not do the exam how will it look good if I have nothing to show for it?

Well, if you've only just started Sixth Form you don't have to decide right this minute - it's OK to see how this year goes and then focus on one area from next summer onwards.

If you can't resolve your impasse with the school by doing what TenOfThem has suggested, then I would suggest that when it comes to your application you can say that you were not able to take the full A2 FM at your school but you have self-studied some of the modules because of your enthusiasm for the subject. This is being slightly 'cute' but it's not your fault at the end of the day if the school wouldn't let you sit the exams.

I'm still a bit puzzled though - is your school allowing you to sit 6 modules after the 1st year? Because surely if they do, and you do very well, why can't you then opt to study a further 6 modules in the second year?

Quick Reply

Latest