The Student Room Group

Whats the most stupid rule your school has?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dalek1099
They could ring on the school phone and things like that should usually be agreed face to face with a parent anyway.I would be very annoyed if my child just rang and said something like that the only possible excuse for not coming home early would be something school related and its unlikely transport delays like buses would cause your child to come home too much later.

It's much easier to do it quickly on a mobile phone than the school phone, especially if it's something personal or embarrassing (e.g. a teenage girl on her period who forgot to bring tampons, which I have heard about on this forum before). Then you need to bear in mind the journey to and from school. I had a basic mobile phone for emergencies and things like that when I was at school, and the school bus was often delayed by quite a bit on more than one occasion.

There is simply no good reason for a school to completely ban mobile phones from its premises. It can cause a lot of inconvenience for no benefit.
Original post by nixonsjellybeans
My primary introduced 'pen licences'. Basically you couldn't have a pen unless you passed a handwriting test. So despite being a clever young man I was forced to use a pencil due to my scruffy writing.

It never did improve :lol:

Same with us!
Although, a new head teacher meant that this rule was finished! :tongue:(Lucky for me- my handwriting's terrible).:colondollar:
Not overly stupid but halfway through highschool, the teachers started imposing rules that were never an issue before. I remember in year 8, you were allowed to dye your hair a maroon colour and then that got banned. Boys had to wear proper school shoes or black polish-able shoes when before they could wear any as long as they were black.
One of my friends had to change her top for PE because it had a 'religiously offensive' term on it (it literally said ;if Jesus comes back we'll just kill him again').
Bullying could get you put in exclusion but one of my other friends was being bullied because she was bisexual and the teachers did nothing.
The school changed from a Catholic to a joint faith so it could get more money off the government but nothing changed; Catholic primary school students applying were still prioritized. If you said you were an atheist around some RE teachers then you were victimised by them.
Also is summer, we had a summer uniform but you couldn't take your blazers or jumpers off if you were wearing it. I swear I must have got heat stroke about 5 times because of that :/
We're not allowed phones in our schools but still a large percentage do, and they have their bags on the tables and use them sneakily throughout lessons and in common room
Original post by SophieSmall
And if my mum needed to contact me after school? Say when I was walking home or somewhere else in between finishing school and going home? The school was very clear of no exceptions. And as for the "you could just use your phone outside of school" there were sometimes random bag checks so they would find your phone even if you weren't using it in school. I was literally just checking the time on my phone in the hallway.

I already said I completely agreed with mobiles being confiscated if used in class. If they are being confiscated in class already there is no need to implement a school wide ban.

Eh, she had good reason to encourage me to take my phone with me. Once I ended up stranded at a bus stop with no mobile phone, no information service at the bus stop and no nearby area for me to contact someone in need of assistance, I had to knock on a strangers door to ask them to phone me a taxi...pretty dangerous if you ask me and could have been avoided had I had my mobile phone.

How did you end up stranded?Same journey each day from school and back?If the school says you can't bring mobile phones into school then you have to obey, those are the school rules.
there's a staircase where you can only go up, and another staircase where you can only go down...

it's to avoid congestion apparently, but it's really quite ridiculous when all students (even sixth formers) have to go all the way to the other side of the building just to go up some stairs to get to a classroom which could be directly accessed by going up the 'down' staircase...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by RFowler
It's much easier to do it quickly on a mobile phone than the school phone, especially if it's something personal or embarrassing (e.g. a teenage girl on her period who forgot to bring tampons, which I have heard about on this forum before). Then you need to bear in mind the journey to and from school. I had a basic mobile phone for emergencies and things like that when I was at school, and the school bus was often delayed by quite a bit on more than one occasion.

There is simply no good reason for a school to completely ban mobile phones from its premises. It can cause a lot of inconvenience for no benefit.

I bet he will come up with some reason as to how the situation I was once put in was my fault as well (ended up stranded at a bus station, no help points no mobile phone and had to knock on someone's door to ask them to phone a taxi...not safe at all).
How did you end up stranded?Same journey each day from school and back?If the school says you can't bring mobile phones into school then you have to obey, those are the school rules.

My family was visiting my brother and so I had to take a different journey than usual, the buses for some reason weren't running and I was left stranded and unsure what to do. I was a child for Christ sake and the school put me in a position where I was unsafe because of their rule.
Original post by She-Ra
We weren't allowed to take our school jumpers off during lessons without asking the permission of the teacher! :facepalm:

oh yeah similiar to my previous school - we weren't allowed to take our blazers off during lessons without asking the teacher first, but then we weren't allowed to wear our school jumper at break or lunch without our blazer... :rolleyes:
I have been put in inclusion / isolation twice for having short hair. Apparently, it was because it was shaved below a 1 or something stupid.
My family was visiting my brother and so I had to take a different journey than usual, the buses for some reason weren't running and I was left stranded and unsure what to do. I was a child for Christ sake and the school put me in a position where I was unsafe because of their rule.

That's shocking! My school isn't as bad but they were awful with dealing with my medical issues.

In one of my lessons I was eating a cereal bar (I'm diabetic and have to eat at set times to balance my blood sugar) and my teacher told me I couldn't. I explained why even though she knew and she said it didn't matter, it was her rule.

In another one of my lessons I was hypoglycaemic and my teacher never noticed my behaviour changing despite all my friends saying I was acting weird. She watched me walk out the school without any of my things and my Nan found me wandering near the road. All I remember was waking up in a car. The funny thing is was that the teacher was the one responsible for informing the other teachers of what to look out for and how to deal with me if I went hypo.

Rubbish, if schools have rules which are clearly stupid and that are there for no good reason then those rules should be challenged. I'm all for discipline but blind obedience like that is a terrible idea - where do people get this idea that schools and their staff are perfect and always make the right sensible decision without fail? Some schools are very clearly lacking in common sense.

SophieSmall has already explained why the thing with completely banning mobile phones is irresponsible and can be dangerous.
No phones at all, unless you are 6th form luckily, or you get them taken off you for a year (And yes, that has actually happened to people).
No physical contact, not even putting your arm around someone in a friendly way. Everyone knows this is ridiculous, except for the head teacher. Whenever you are in the corridors you can just hear people yelling "PHYSICAL CONTACT!".
You have to stand up whenever you see the head teacher. You are supposed to do it for every teacher but none of them really care.
Clip on ties. People used to try and choke each other (Never actually happened), so now we have clip on ones. They get nicked (And then clipped to the back of a year 7's blazer so no one can find it), people whip each-other with the metal bits and then they experiment to see how many ties they can clip onto one person.
In assemblies you have to sit in your form group. It would be alright, except for the fact that the 6th form is so small there are loads of people sitting on their own in 6th form assemblies.
6th form has to wear uniform. We are literally the only school in the area that has a uniform in 6th form.
In my primary school, our drama teacher was an absolute ********. She had this unbelievable rule that any two students who "chatted" out of line before the school play would be forced to kiss.
Girls are only allowed to wear white bras beneath their uniform in the summer, because you can see an outline of any coloured bra through the school shirt if the girls took their jumpers off. So stupid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Isabella d'Anjou
My school has a 'forbidden corridor' which only teachers are allowed to go through despite it being one of the biggest and most principle corridors in the school building.

My old secondary school did this. The only way to get to the other side was to go out of the actual building then come through another door, was an absolute nuisance during winter.
My school had a no mobile phones allowed on the school premises rule. Whilst I completely agree with schools being able to say no mobiles during class ect and being able to confiscate them for the duration of the lesson or even the day, I found the no mobiles on school premises a bit too far. It meant if you were found to have a mobile anywhere in school at any point of the school day (even say at lunch time in the lunch hall, or in the corridor leaving school for the end of the day). They could confiscate your phone. A second add on to the rule (which was my main problem with it) was that is a phone was confiscated it was taken to the school office and HAD to be collected by a parent and they made no exceptions with this rule.

I once had my phone confiscated from me at lunch time in the hallway, I was told to get a parent to come and collect it. I told her my mum is disabled and cannot get to the school to pick it up, she said to get my father to pick it up I said I didn't have one. She didn't care she said get your mum to come in, so there is my mum disabled to **** having to pay money for a taxi to come in and collect a phone that was taken off me despite me not being of any disruption with it.

Now you may say "oh don't take your phone to school". Due to my mums disability and possibly needing to contact me at any time and also because I had to walk a long distance home often times in the dark my mum would not allow me to leave the house without my mobile for safety reasons. There were many other students with similar reasoning for needing to have mobile phones on their person, such as students needing to travel home via a couple of buses or a bus then train who may have needed to contact parents in the event of a train delay or cancellation stuff like that.

I swear that if I was your mother, I would've sued the school by now :teehee:

But seriously, that is the most STUPID rule I have ever heard of, that is enforced in this country.
Original post by flutterby-x303
We also HAD to sing religious songs even if you claimed you weren't Christian

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by aoxa
At my old school, anything to do with uniform/religion was ridiculous. They made us wear clip on ties so no one would undo the top button, skirts had to be at the knee, 'proper' shoes, only one pair of earrings, no jewellery, no dyed hair.

We also got forced to pray, even if you were atheist/ not a Christian.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's standard in pretty much every school across the UK I think. I'd like to think their attitudes towards forcing that stuff down kids throats will change as time goes on but it doesn't seem to.

I never joined in with the hymns, apart from the fun ones in primary school ... and never shut my eyes for the prayers. I've been strongly atheist since I was about 8 years old when I started to understand reality. Teachers weren't happy but they couldn't do much!
- They banned wearing polo shirts in the summer
- Always had to wear your blazer
- One way system in the busiest corridor
- There's other rules that were much worse but I cant remember them...
Original post by Becca7000
That's shocking! My school isn't as bad but they were awful with dealing with my medical issues.

In one of my lessons I was eating a cereal bar (I'm diabetic and have to eat at set times to balance my blood sugar) and my teacher told me I couldn't. I explained why even though she knew and she said it didn't matter, it was her rule.

In another one of my lessons I was hypoglycaemic and my teacher never noticed my behaviour changing despite all my friends saying I was acting weird. She watched me walk out the school without any of my things and my Nan found me wandering near the road. All I remember was waking up in a car. The funny thing is was that the teacher was the one responsible for informing the other teachers of what to look out for and how to deal with me if I went hypo.

holy crap, that's more shocking than mine. I would have made a formal complaint and demanded an apology off both the teachers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending