The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

i'd love to write-ive only ever written for english but i seem to do well and i like the end results. im planning to do creative arts when i go uni in 2005 and if i dont chage to drama, all our performances will be self-scripted/devised so i s'pose i'll have to find time for it
Trousers
Inspired by something Iluvatar just said...

Have you ever considered writing a book? What would it be about? Has anyone actually managed it? Or do you have loads of ideas and never get around to writing them down?

I've tried it seriously, twice, but came to a halt when I couldn't think where the story was going.

I was writing a book, but the computer it was on died suddenly, so I lost it. It was a fantasy, all-be-it a very warped one, which was a blend of romance, action, adventure, comedy, drama and parody.
Reply 23
deary_ma_leary
i'd love to write-ive only ever written for english but i seem to do well and i like the end results. im planning to do creative arts when i go uni in 2005 and if i dont chage to drama, all our performances will be self-scripted/devised so i s'pose i'll have to find time for it

erm? You love to write, but only ever write for english - which tends to reward alot of things that are poor. If you love to write you should be writing for the joy of writing.
Trousers
What happened?

I did say it was complicated. Something along the lines of changing a few endings...it pained me seeing someone edit my work …with ideas I disagreed with. I must have been a difficult person to work with, but they didn’t cooperate either :tongue: I just didn't like them...I felt intimidated, which makes a change.
Reply 25
if i were to right a book, i would write a modern day equivalent of the bible or at least some kind of guidelines to live life by and set down a good sense of values without resorting to the introduction of a supreme being.
corey
erm? You love to write, but only ever write for english - which tends to reward alot of things that are poor. If you love to write you should be writing for the joy of writing.

yes but time limits me. i do the writing i have to for school at the moment. maybe in the next year i have for consideration and contemplation i shall write...
Reply 27
waiting2smile
I did say it was complicated. Something along the lines of changing a few endings...it pained me seeing someone edit my work …with ideas I disagreed with. I must have been a difficult person to work with, but they didn’t cooperate either :tongue: I just didn't like them...I felt intimidated, which makes a change.
Surely the offer of money is enough to lure you into releasing your ideals?
Surely the offer of money is enough to lure you into releasing your ideals?

They made quite a good offer, but I have principles. I didn't feel ready to publish either...nor liked the fact they, well the person whom I was working with treated me as if I was inexperienced and uncapabale of understanding what made a book sell...*gulps* as a writer...I'm very attached to what I write and react strongly to someone taking almost complete control of my work. I think I went over this last year to everyone who claimed I was making a mistake...but I'm glad I didn't cooperate either. Evil people. :tongue:
Reply 29
In 10 years time, a JK Rowling in the making? Who knows what the future brings.
Trousers

Have you ever considered writing a book? What would it be about? Has anyone actually managed it? Or do you have loads of ideas and never get around to writing them down?

I've tried it seriously, twice, but came to a halt when I couldn't think where the story was going.

Only a brave person is willing to honestly admit, and fearlessly to face, what a sincere and logical mind discovers.

thats what a lot of people lack
Reply 31
maximusmak
Only a brave person is willing to honestly admit, and fearlessly to face, what a sincere and logical mind discovers.

thats what a lot of people lack

So... is that a yes?
Reply 32
I keep writing like a first page, and then forgetting or giving up.
Reply 33
Trousers

Yeah, Manchester's terrible weather.....
Zapsta
So... is that a yes?

yeah, i did a few a yr back, when it was exam time, the are actually quite good, im talking about the story line, its not typicl like most stories, and it more of a film movie story rather than an educational story
Reply 35
maximusmak
yeah, i did a few a yr back, when it was exam time, the are actually quite good, im talking about the story line, its not typicl like most stories, and it more of a film movie story rather than an educational story

Man I'd like to see that...
waiting2smile
They made quite a good offer, but I have principles. I didn't feel ready to publish either...nor liked the fact they, well the person whom I was working with treated me as if I was inexperienced and uncapabale of understanding what made a book sell...*gulps* as a writer...I'm very attached to what I write and react strongly to someone taking almost complete control of my work. I think I went over this last year to everyone who claimed I was making a mistake...but I'm glad I didn't cooperate either. Evil people. :tongue:

you'll have to set up your own printing press...

i've probably written enough poems to fill a book, but i wouldn't want to publish them now because they are too crap and they would be slaughter-reviewed and this would ruin my chances of getting my brilliant adult poems published after college. :biggrin:
Reply 37
Ive done three.

"In the Future"
"How to deal with awkward Silences"
"An anthology of useless facts and opinions"

but they arent published, I did it to humour my friends.
Reply 38
UndiscoverdSelf
you'll have to set up your own printing press...

i've probably written enough poems to fill a book, but i wouldn't want to publish them now because they are too crap and they would be slaughter-reviewed and this would ruin my chances of getting my brilliant adult poems published after college. :biggrin:

What kind of poems?
In a new reply to this, i've tried to start writing again.
I finished all my coursework, and so in some of the time i should be revising, i'm writing now instead.
Its going to be a sort of tragic love fantasy, although not fantasy as in far out sci-fi, just a little different to how you'd expect.
I've almost got to a good stop point in the story (rather than chapters, which i hate, i try to write to a point in the story where stopping makes sense, and read through it, before i write the next bit).

Latest

Trending

Trending