The Student Room Group

How to get into copywriting

Hi, I’m a university drop out looking to change careers. I currently work in hospitality and absolutely hate it. I came across a tiktok talking about copywriting and it was very interesting and something I think I would like to do. A little back story - I followed the traditional schooling ways. Did my GCSEs, did my A-Levels, went to university at 18 etc. However, I didn’t enjoy my experience at university and after trying to push through I eventually dropped out at the end of my second year. Since then I’ve just been working random jobs, I’m still living at home so thankfully I’ve been able to survive on the little money I make. I studied English at university and I did really enjoy the course just not the whole university experience. I also did English as an A level. The problem is I have serious imposter syndrome and feel like i’m not qualified enough without a degree. I don’t know what steps to take to start copywriting.
Original post by sinnybby
Hi, I’m a university drop out looking to change careers. I currently work in hospitality and absolutely hate it. I came across a tiktok talking about copywriting and it was very interesting and something I think I would like to do. A little back story - I followed the traditional schooling ways. Did my GCSEs, did my A-Levels, went to university at 18 etc. However, I didn’t enjoy my experience at university and after trying to push through I eventually dropped out at the end of my second year. Since then I’ve just been working random jobs, I’m still living at home so thankfully I’ve been able to survive on the little money I make. I studied English at university and I did really enjoy the course just not the whole university experience. I also did English as an A level. The problem is I have serious imposter syndrome and feel like i’m not qualified enough without a degree. I don’t know what steps to take to start copywriting.

Good news:

you don't need anything to do copywriting; you can be a high school drop out or drop out of education at Year 5 (not legal in the UK) and still be a copywriter

If you can play your cards right, you can have jobs that pay 5-7 figures

It's one of those high income skills that if utilised properly, you can never go hungry ever again (the keyword is properly);it's also a service any and all organisations will need from the beginning to the end of time

It's one of those services where it's not really affected by technology in a way; you can change the medium as much as you want (leaflets, sales letters, videos, social media, nagging letters from your siblings), but the principles of copywriting will not change because the audience and the psychology of the audience do not change

You can learn, start, and experiment with little to nothing (so long what you say and write is compliant with local laws and regulations)

Bad news:

It's a ridiculously competitive industry, and you need to be very very very (emphasis on very) good to get anywhere far

Marketers are using AI to help with copywriting. At this moment in time, the AI couldn't exactly replicate how a professional copywriter can write (and by logic and my technological know-how, you can't really). What it can potentially mean though is if you're an average copywriter, don't expect to survive for long. You would need to be exceptional and have a really good branding (and hence writing style) to be unaffected and survive.

Despite not needing anything to start, I would still recommend picking up the necessary framework. There is a plethora of books and courses on copywriting, but only a handful can be considered 'classics' and essential reads. In any case, I would always recommend learning under a mentor where possible after you have a good grasp of the basics. I don't know how far you have gotten with your research, so I am a little hesitant to recommend anything (and I really don't need to write another long winded essay).
The thing about copywriting (as with any sort of art form), there is always more than one right answer. You can succeed using more than one method, and you would rarely ever need to know more than 3 strategies. There is also a myriad of writing styles, so I would pick and imitate the types that have proven track records and the ones that resonate with you the most. The easiest way to recognise this is to let yourself be exposed to all forms of marketing and advertising.

If you intend to become a copywriter for a specific industry, then it's a bit more challenging; you would need to be more conservative and need to do a lot of networking to get into the specific industry. Certain industries have specific regulations, so you can't flaunt anything you want in any way you want. Some industries also have a lot of office politics or a very narrow way of seeing things, so even if you can succeed writing in a completely different way, it might not be accepted by the incumbents in the industry.

Irrespective of your approach you should also learn about marketing in the process, because copywriting without a system to market the message is almost as helpful as a wheel without the car.

I also don't know what your career plans are. Are you thinking of staying in an industry throughout your career? Are you thinking of going independent? What drew you to copywriting in the first place?

As a disclaimer: I am not a copywriter per se (who is?), but I have studied the subject. Apply salt where appropriate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending