The Student Room Group

Personal Statement help?

I'm writing a personal statement for Linguistics, and I refer to David Crystal 3 seperate times (once when talking about a pivotal point in my college education, once when discussing a research project and another time when simply writing about a book of his that I learned a lot from).

I can't find any advice online which discourages talking about one person multiple times, so I don't know if it would be disapproved or not, but could anyone clarify in case it would be a negative thing for my personal statement? Thank you!
Reply 1
Original post by Rowanthepotato
I'm writing a personal statement for Linguistics, and I refer to David Crystal 3 seperate times (once when talking about a pivotal point in my college education, once when discussing a research project and another time when simply writing about a book of his that I learned a lot from).

I can't find any advice online which discourages talking about one person multiple times, so I don't know if it would be disapproved or not, but could anyone clarify in case it would be a negative thing for my personal statement? Thank you!

*sepArate

Personally, I’d get the impression that you haven’t done wider reading on linguistics in general but have stuck with one person.

I think it would be most effective if you mention him when talking about what he impacted you most on and try to incorporate other people that you’ve researched and read the books of too!
Original post by Rowanthepotato

Hello,

Personally, I wouldn’t consider it to be a negative thing if you’re really passionate about David Crystal. Lots of university lecturers and students spend the time to study one person while they’re writing books or doing projects; one of my lecturers recently published a book on just Jane Austen, so there’s definitely no shame in it!

However, if you’ve only referred to one singular book, rather than a range of David Crystal publications then you might start running into the issue subbhy mentioned about a lack of research into your subject. While inherently not a bad thing to talk about one author, make sure you utilise every word you write about them and talk about a range of ideas/novels in those words!

Hope this helps,
Dom
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hello,

Personally, I wouldn’t consider it to be a negative thing if you’re really passionate about David Crystal. Lots of university lecturers and students spend the time to study one person while they’re writing books or doing projects; one of my lecturers recently published a book on just Jane Austen, so there’s definitely no shame in it!

However, if you’ve only referred to one singular book, rather than a range of David Crystal publications then you might start running into the issue subbhy mentioned about a lack of research into your subject. While inherently not a bad thing to talk about one author, make sure you utilise every word you write about them and talk about a range of ideas/novels in those words!

Hope this helps,
Dom

Hi there,
Thank you for your advice! I've talked about a range of his publications so hopefully that'll show that I'm passionate about him. I'll definitely talk about a range of ideas like you suggested, thank you again for your help! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending