The Student Room Group

Subject-Specific Rankings vs Overall Rankings

My teacher advised me to base my Uni opinions on three factors: Employability, Ranking and Personal Feeling. Regarding the second one, the ranking- when picking firm choice- which should I look at: The Topic-Specific, or the general ones?
I know that the "general" measure prestige (and so employability); but then, not every Uni has strenghts in all of departments.
What to trust?
Also, which ranking board do you consider as "most accurate"?
Original post by Citipati
My teacher advised me to base my Uni opinions on three factors: Employability, Ranking and Personal Feeling. Regarding the second one, the ranking- when picking firm choice- which should I look at: The Topic-Specific, or the general ones?
I know that the "general" measure prestige (and so employability); but then, not every Uni has strenghts in all of departments.
What to trust?
Also, which ranking board do you consider as "most accurate"?

Personally, I think personal feeling is by far the most important out of those factors. You can get a general kind of impression of how 'good' a university is from league tables but they really only give you a ballpark estimate - international league tables focus more on prestige, international reputation and research whereas domestic league tables seem to focus more on student satisfaction and employability. I used league tables to outline the kind of universities I wanted to apply to (i.e. those that are generally near the top) and then used personal preference and the courses offered to narrow them down.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending