The Student Room Group

Surrey And Reading Law

Accepted into both. Why have the rankings declined so much for these two universities.

A few years ago I believe they were much higher in the rankings but now fall in at #39 (reading) and #41 (Surrey)
Original post by rjdjsbs
Accepted into both. Why have the rankings declined so much for these two universities.

A few years ago I believe they were much higher in the rankings but now fall in at #39 (reading) and #41 (Surrey)

Hi there!

Happy to hear you received offers!

You'll find rankings highly depend on which parameters are used, in addition to which organisation is doing the ranking. Student satisfaction is a big factor when ranking universities, because we're the ones paying after all, and we expect a certain quality for our money. Surrey has performed consistently well for student satisfaction in the past years.

I clicked the first three links that appeared when googling "uk uni rankings", and Surrey is at #13 (The Complete University Guide), #21 (The Guardian), and #21 (SI-UK) in the UK respectively.

Hope this helps!

Marko
Accounting and Finance BSc

Edit: Apologies! I later realised you were referring to subject-specific rankings. In that case, I stand by my above reply in that I recommend that you look at overall rankings as well. When I was applying to my course, I found subject-specific rankings to be quite volatile year-on-year because there are so many universities, and parameters used between different leaderboards vary, so I took overall rankings into account. However, I made my final decision not based on rankings, but based on how the uni treated me when I would communicate with their different departments, offer-holder events, and factored in things like modules offered, campus location, links to London, if I could see myself living in the town, etc. I made sure I got a feel for the university as a whole. It turned out well in the end :smile:
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by University of Surrey Student Rep
Hi there!

Happy to hear you received offers!

You'll find rankings highly depend on which parameters are used, in addition to which organisation is doing the ranking. Student satisfaction is a big factor when ranking universities, because we're the ones paying after all, and we expect a certain quality for our money. Surrey has performed consistently well for student satisfaction in the past years.

I clicked the first three links that appeared when googling "uk uni rankings", and Surrey is at #13 (The Complete University Guide), #21 (The Guardian), and #21 (SI-UK) in the UK respectively.

Hope this helps!

Marko
Accounting and Finance BSc

Edit: Apologies! I later realised you were referring to subject-specific rankings. In that case, I stand by my above reply in that I recommend that you look at overall rankings as well. When I was applying to my course, I found subject-specific rankings to be quite volatile year-on-year because there are so many universities, and parameters used between different leaderboards vary, so I took overall rankings into account. However, I made my final decision not based on rankings, but based on how the uni treated me when I would communicate with their different departments, offer-holder events, and factored in things like modules offered, campus location, links to London, if I could see myself living in the town, etc. I made sure I got a feel for the university as a whole. It turned out well in the end :smile:

Thank you so much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending