The Student Room Group

Should I get involved in the Royal Society of Medicine?

I am going to be starting medical school soon and wanted to get involved in the Royal society of medicine. Is there anyone who is currently involved in the RSM whom can tell me the benefits of being in the SMG group.

I've already started to get involved with the BMA (British Medical Association), but unsure whether to get actively involved with the BMA or the RSM. I'd rather do one or the other as I don't want it to impact on my studies. Any thoughts?
Hey, sorry to see you haven't had any replies to your thread yet. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific university or course forum should help get more responses. :redface:

If you haven’t already found it, then university connect is a really useful way for finding people at your course/university! You can also find a list of applicant threads and courses here. :h: It's worth checking out if you have questions.

If you need advice on your academic work, then the Study Help section will be able to help you. :h: Hope this helps! :h:
Original post by mya_r
I am going to be starting medical school soon and wanted to get involved in the Royal society of medicine. Is there anyone who is currently involved in the RSM whom can tell me the benefits of being in the SMG group.

I've already started to get involved with the BMA (British Medical Association), but unsure whether to get actively involved with the BMA or the RSM. I'd rather do one or the other as I don't want it to impact on my studies. Any thoughts?

They are two incredibly different organisations with very different purposes. Does the activities of one interest you more than the other? And what will your role be within in each group? As you might prefer one organisation but may have more interesting things to do with the other...
I would definitely recommend you get involved with the RSM. They put on lots of truly excellent events both aimed at medical students specifically (which you would be involved in organising and running as a committee member of the SMG) as well as more niche events in specific specialities once you start to get a feel for what you are into (these events are run primarily by the trainee section of the RSM).

The SMG is a lot of fun and the workload is really what you make of it, and if you want to be crude about it it obviously looks quite good on your CV as well.
Reply 4
Thank you. Currently I'm torn between Clinical Genetics speciality and Academic GP but I know I will potentially change my mind but I found out that there are sections in the RSM for both types because I want to get involved with the RSM after graduation as a trainee doctor, but have limited knowledge on the activities of the RSM compared to the BMA.
Original post by mya_r
Thank you. Currently I'm torn between Clinical Genetics speciality and Academic GP but I know I will potentially change my mind but I found out that there are sections in the RSM for both types because I want to get involved with the RSM after graduation as a trainee doctor, but have limited knowledge on the activities of the RSM compared to the BMA.

That sounds good. You've probably already checked out their website but if not here's a link to it https://www.rsm.ac.uk/about-us.aspx

And here's a link to the SMG part of the website https://www.rsm.ac.uk/sections/sections-and-networks-list/student-members-group.aspx

Hope that helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending