The Student Room Group

pharmacy experience whilst at university

I'm in my second year of MPharm and am wondering what I can do for extra curriculum that isn't a sport or society (I am planning to join something like that.) I want things that will benefit my course and understanding, whilst being appealing for future employers and something i will enjoy.

I am trying a job but I dont want it to take up too many hours as i dont have much spare time.
Original post by oliviacranfield3
I'm in my second year of MPharm and am wondering what I can do for extra curriculum that isn't a sport or society (I am planning to join something like that.) I want things that will benefit my course and understanding, whilst being appealing for future employers and something i will enjoy.

I am trying a job but I dont want it to take up too many hours as i dont have much spare time.

I can't comment on how to get a job in pharmacy, but it will help if you have contacts in the field.

In terms of society, the one that would immediately come to mind would be the medical society. Some universities should have one specifically for medical students (if your university offers MPharm, it's likely that they should do courses in medicine). Becoming a member would help you build connections.

In terms of part time jobs, you can try looking at recruitment agencies in the area. With less flexibility, you are less likely to get that many shifts. This applies the same for any part time job that you might apply for.
I understand MPharm is not exactly an easy degree to do, nor is it something you can do with minimal study. In all likelihood, you would be more likely to spend your time at university studying more than getting any part time work. However, it's very valuable if you managet to secure a work placement at a local pharmacy, but that's not easy to get.
Original post by oliviacranfield3

Hi @oliviacranfield3

My name is Aaliya, I am a fourth year pharmacy student.

A lot of my friends and other students on my course have had part time jobs in a pharmacy. This is something you could consider especially since you study pharmacy. Having a job in a pharmacy will help support your studies and may help make things clearer - it certainly did for me!
It is recommended that you work less than 15 hours a week, so a weekend job may be suitable and many students choose to work on Saturdays or just one day during the week.

I hope this helps!
Please don't hesitate to ask any questions :smile:
Aaliya ~ 4th year pharmacy student ~ University of Huddersfield
Original post by University of Huddersfield Student Rep
Hi @oliviacranfield3

My name is Aaliya, I am a fourth year pharmacy student.

A lot of my friends and other students on my course have had part time jobs in a pharmacy. This is something you could consider especially since you study pharmacy. Having a job in a pharmacy will help support your studies and may help make things clearer - it certainly did for me!
It is recommended that you work less than 15 hours a week, so a weekend job may be suitable and many students choose to work on Saturdays or just one day during the week.

I hope this helps!

Hi, is there any super curricular activities you would reccomend for getting into pharmacy such as seminars/books ect.(for a year12)
I already have work experience and a part time pharmacy job.
Original post by marea999
Hi, is there any super curricular activities you would reccomend for getting into pharmacy such as seminars/books ect.(for a year12)
I already have work experience and a part time pharmacy job.

Hi @marea999

There are a few journals and magazines that you could have a read of to help you prepare for pharmacy.

The 'Royal Pharmaceutical Society' (RPS) have lots of information regarding the latest news in pharmacy. Another journal you could look at is the 'Pharmaceutical Journal' (PJ) which again has lots of information on any updates and findings in pharmacy.

You could also have a look at the pharmacy magazine which provides advice on things such as OTC care and developing your knowledge.

I hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending