dwbailey
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi, I'm stuck on how to answer this 1 mark question in terms of wording it correctly.
"Explain why the second ionisation energy of boron is higher than the first ionisation energy of boron".
How would you guys word the answer to this so its to the point and gets the mark?
smozsolution
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You're removing a negatively charged electron from a positively charged ion, you need high energy to overcome the forces of attraction.

Hope that helps
dwbailey
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thanks, I was confused to whether it jumping from p orbital to s orbital was the reason
MedAppli
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by smozsolution)
You're removing a negatively charged electron from a positively charged ion, you need high energy to overcome the forces of attraction.

Hope that helps
That's not sufficient, you need to talk about how it's in the 2s as opposed to the 2p orbital which is a lower energy, also he ratio between negative and positive charge has increased and so each one is held more closely to the nucleus

Posted from TSR Mobile
smozsolution
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MedAppli)
That's not sufficient, you need to talk about how it's in the 2s as opposed to the 2p orbital which is a lower energy, also he ratio between negative and positive charge has increased and so each one is held more closely to the nucleus

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's only one mark so I was quite brief with my answer.

Talking about that for a one mark question is a bit long winded.
MedAppli
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Your answer explains why there is ionization energy and not why one is bigger than the other

Posted from TSR Mobile
smozsolution
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MedAppli)
Your answer explains why there is ionization energy and not why one is bigger than the other

Posted from TSR Mobile
My answer explains why the second ionisation energy is larger than the first, as per what the question asked.

Have a look here on page 5 under the question "Why are successive ionisation energies always larger?".
victoria1235
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
smozsolution is correct. Basically he/she is trying to say that the energy needed to remove one mole of electrons from one mole of neutral boron gaseous atoms is smaller than that needed to remove one mole of electrons from one mole of gaseous boron ions with a SINGLE positive charge. Due to the stronger electrostatic forces of attraction in the latter case, the second ionisation energy is more endothermic such that the extra attractive force can be overcome. Hope that helps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (115)
17.37%
It's just nice to be back! (182)
27.49%
Not great so far... (238)
35.95%
I want to drop out! (127)
19.18%

Watched Threads