The Student Room Group

AS Chemistry- helping each other out!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dylann
So if you're strong in unit 1 there's no way you're gonna fail! :biggrin: see we're already making progress. I would recommend using this guy:

www.youtube.com/user/NewcastleChemistry to help! He should be able to help you with energetics unit 2. Make notes and once you think you've understood head over to:

www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk and select AQA AS and do some of the energetics exercises! This should help reinforce what you've learned.

For the substance questions, I understand some of them can be pretty trick but use the a-levelchemistry website and try out some questions there :biggrin: tell me how it goes

Thanks a lot, I'll be sure to check them out!
Thought I'd share this online app from RSC's Chemnet :smile: Its mainly to help A-Level students understand how to use calculations and how to solve and find answers in a step-by-step method. It really helps since some people lose marks on simple calculations :smile: Here's the link
Anyone done the AS evaluative assessment for OCR? I'm unsure as to what I should be focussing my time on in terms of revision
I have a question about a simple calculation, here's the info I'm given;

A 50.0 cm3 sample of 0.100 moldm-3 sulphuric acid was measured.

0.30 g of magnesium carbonate, MgCO3 was weighed.

A measuring cylinder was filled with exactly 100 cm3 of water and supported upside down in a trough of water.

The two pieces of apparatus were connected by a delivery tube so that any gas produced in the side arm flask would be collected in the measuring cylinder. The apparatus was airtight and no leaks were present.
The rubber bung was removed from the side arm flask. The MgCO3 was added and the bung replaced.

After being asked to write the balanced equation, (H2SO4 (aq) + MgCO3 (s) = MgSO4 (aq) + CO2 (g) + H2O (l) )
I was asked to calculate the number of moles of H2SO4 and MgCO3, I calculated the number of moles of H2SO4 (0.005 mol) and then assumed that this was the same for the number of moles of MgCO3 as they are in a 1:1 ratio as shown by the equation, however I appear to be wrong, the answer was 0.0035 mol.... why don't I use the ratio like normal? is it because I haven't been given the same info about MgCO3? I don't get it... thank you guys

Original post by Georgiam247
I have a question about a simple calculation, here's the info I'm given;

A 50.0 cm3 sample of 0.100 moldm-3 sulphuric acid was measured.

0.30 g of magnesium carbonate, MgCO3 was weighed.

A measuring cylinder was filled with exactly 100 cm3 of water and supported upside down in a trough of water.

The two pieces of apparatus were connected by a delivery tube so that any gas produced in the side arm flask would be collected in the measuring cylinder. The apparatus was airtight and no leaks were present.
The rubber bung was removed from the side arm flask. The MgCO3 was added and the bung replaced.

After being asked to write the balanced equation, (H2SO4 (aq) + MgCO3 (s) = MgSO4 (aq) + CO2 (g) + H2O (l) )
I was asked to calculate the number of moles of H2SO4 and MgCO3, I calculated the number of moles of H2SO4 (0.005 mol) and then assumed that this was the same for the number of moles of MgCO3 as they are in a 1:1 ratio as shown by the equation, however I appear to be wrong, the answer was 0.0035 mol.... why don't I use the ratio like normal? is it because I haven't been given the same info about MgCO3? I don't get it... thank you guys

Mol=mass/Mr

Mass of MgCO3 was 0.3grams and you can work out the Mr :smile:

Spoiler

(You're right that equal moles reacted but you didn't have equal moles to start with)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Dylann
Mol=mass/Mr

Mass of MgCO3 was 0.3grams and you can work out the Mr :smile:

Spoiler

(You're right that equal moles reacted but you didn't have equal moles to start with)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh okay I see, I don't know why I find it such a difficult concept to grasp, but that helps, thank you :redface:
Ahh okay I see, I don't know why I find it such a difficult concept to grasp, but that helps, thank you :redface:

I feel bad that you posted the WHOLE question lol!
Original post by Dylann
I feel bad that you posted the WHOLE question lol!

Hahah well people usually tell me I haven't given enough info so I was playing it safe lol :P
Hahah well people usually tell me I haven't given enough info so I was playing it safe lol :P

Actually that's true, a lot of students here don't include vital information which makes it very difficult to help
Reply 869
Did anyone do the Edexcel 2014 paper?

How was it? :afraid:
Reply 870
Original post by zhang-liao
Thought I'd share this online app from RSC's Chemnet :smile: Its mainly to help A-Level students understand how to use calculations and how to solve and find answers in a step-by-step method. It really helps since some people lose marks on simple calculations :smile: Here's the link

PRSOM, that's great! Thank you :hugs:
Original post by Dylann
Actually that's true, a lot of students here don't include vital information which makes it very difficult to help

Well you helped me just fine! so could you tell me the key to getting an A in Chemistry? Anything you couldn't have done it without?
Well you helped me just fine! so could you tell me the key to getting an A in Chemistry? Anything you couldn't have done it without?

Past papers, I do AQA and the questions are often very similar!!
Original post by Dylann
Past papers, I do AQA and the questions are often very similar!!

Oohh I see. Thank you :P
Reply 874
Which of the following ions would be deflected most in a mass spectrometer?

A 35Cl+
B 37Cl+
C 37Cl2+
D (35Cl —37Cl)

Why is it C? I thought the heaviest is deflected the least.
I thought A because it'd be 35-1=34, which is the lightest there, therefore deflected the most?
Original post by Dinaa
Which of the following ions would be deflected most in a mass spectrometer?

A 35Cl+
B 37Cl+
C 37Cl2+
D (35Cl —37Cl)

Why is it C? I thought the heaviest is deflected the least.
I thought A because it'd be 35-1=34, which is the lightest there, therefore deflected the most?

Well do you want the chemists answer or the physicists :tongue:

As a chemist is the mass per unit charge that counts, so the heavier stuff gets deflected less true but the increased charge matters more here as we want a ratio!

As a physicist the force acting is proportional to charge and inertia proportional to mass. So according to the definition of an electric field combined with N2L:

a=Eq/m

A is acceleration
E electric field.
Q charge
M is mass
Original post by Dinaa
PRSOM, that's great! Thank you :hugs:

You're welcome :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Anyone else have a chemistry mock tomorrow?
Doing this **** on edexcel :L.
Can someone help me please, how do you know that when you collect gas over water all of the gas goes through the delivery tube and some of it doesn't get stuck there. This is a question that the teacher set us.

Quick Reply

Latest