The Student Room Group

Chemistry Degree Lab Work

Hi, I'm thinking of a degree in chemistry and I was wondering how the lab work at university is different to the lab work at school. I'm not a huge fan of school labs because we spend so much time setting up and clearing away and the experiments are so quick, so I feel like I'm wasting a lot of time in labs.
Anyone who does chemistry at uni, what are lab days like? How does it compare to labs at A-level?
Thank you!
@CheeseIsVeg can probably advise!

My impression is most chemistry courses have practicals set for an entire day for about 8 hours, or sometimes two 4-6 hour sessions in the week. So it seems a lot more involved!
Labs at uni are great fun and often you will make great friendships through it. They help to put what you have learned into context and give you insight to what research scientists often do. You also get to chat to really friendly PhD or Postdoc students that help out in the teaching lab.

Main difference to A-level labs is that in first year they last for half a day and in second year they are for a whole day.
Often you will have to do different parts and at the start, you will follow a "recipe" but over time, you will be expected to give things a go and work them out yourself or with help from your peers/PhD students helping demonstrate in the labs. They are a great way to consolidate knowledge you are learning in lectures too.

How are labs assessed?

So when I did it labs kinda contributed to a part of your core modules ie: there were labs assigned to each type of chemistry: physical, inorganic and organic chemistry. Each lab had a breakdown of marks ie: Some % for prelab exercises, some % for in-lab exercises - lab book/compound and presentation (some had them not all) and then for after the lab, some % for lab report (this is an account of what you did and then the answers to a few questions about the chemistry involved).

Overall the lab contribution feels quite small but doing well on them does affect your marks. I actually performed better in labs than in exams I think I am a practical person :beard: I got 82% overall in my years 1-2 lab practicals and I definitely still messed up sometimes! Labs feel a bit stressful but honestly they are quite cool and fun and your fellow coursemates will be fun and chill about them! Everyone is sort of in it together so everyone kinda helps each other and it's really nice. I made quite a few friends through labs

So yeah you're not really expected to do a perfect job the first time round but there is a lot of support during the lab and also things to prepare you beforehand. If you're super worried you can always google the experiment or check the RSC website as that often has lots of useful stuff. I would also recommend doing the reaction scheme and having a look at report questions before the lab so if you think you might get stuck, you can ask questions about them during the lab

Original post by Car44
Hi, I'm thinking of a degree in chemistry and I was wondering how the lab work at university is different to the lab work at school. I'm not a huge fan of school labs because we spend so much time setting up and clearing away and the experiments are so quick, so I feel like I'm wasting a lot of time in labs.
Anyone who does chemistry at uni, what are lab days like? How does it compare to labs at A-level?
Thank you!
Reply 3
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Labs at uni are great fun and often you will make great friendships through it. They help to put what you have learned into context and give you insight to what research scientists often do. You also get to chat to really friendly PhD or Postdoc students that help out in the teaching lab.

Main difference to A-level labs is that in first year they last for half a day and in second year they are for a whole day.
Often you will have to do different parts and at the start, you will follow a "recipe" but over time, you will be expected to give things a go and work them out yourself or with help from your peers/PhD students helping demonstrate in the labs. They are a great way to consolidate knowledge you are learning in lectures too.

How are labs assessed?

So when I did it labs kinda contributed to a part of your core modules ie: there were labs assigned to each type of chemistry: physical, inorganic and organic chemistry. Each lab had a breakdown of marks ie: Some % for prelab exercises, some % for in-lab exercises - lab book/compound and presentation (some had them not all) and then for after the lab, some % for lab report (this is an account of what you did and then the answers to a few questions about the chemistry involved).

Overall the lab contribution feels quite small but doing well on them does affect your marks. I actually performed better in labs than in exams I think I am a practical person :beard: I got 82% overall in my years 1-2 lab practicals and I definitely still messed up sometimes! Labs feel a bit stressful but honestly they are quite cool and fun and your fellow coursemates will be fun and chill about them! Everyone is sort of in it together so everyone kinda helps each other and it's really nice. I made quite a few friends through labs

So yeah you're not really expected to do a perfect job the first time round but there is a lot of support during the lab and also things to prepare you beforehand. If you're super worried you can always google the experiment or check the RSC website as that often has lots of useful stuff. I would also recommend doing the reaction scheme and having a look at report questions before the lab so if you think you might get stuck, you can ask questions about them during the lab

Hello, thank you so much, this is incredibly helpful! Have a great day :smile:
Original post by Car44
Thank you!

Hey

I'm Oliver and I am currently a fourth year natural sciences student at Lancaster. I study chemistry and biochemistry so have spent a lot of time in the chemistry labs!!
My experience of labs at undergraduate has been very different to A-level. As others have said here, you would usually spend a whole day in the lab each week and while you still have to set up and tidy away, the majority of the time will be spent carrying out exciting experiments.
At the start you may work in pairs and carry out an experiment together and I personally found this a great way to get to know people really quickly!
There is also a lot of support as you're carrying out the labs from lecturers, PhD students and lab technicians who will make sure everything is working properly.
As you go through the degree you will likely spend more days in the lab and be expected to work more independently but there will always be help is you ask for it :smile:

I hope that is helpful and feel free to ask any more questions :smile:

Oliver (student ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending