The Student Room Group

AMA Depressed and alone on Christmas eve

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Anonymous
might take you up on that ! lol
Music just makes me upset hearing about people worried about if his 2 side chicks meet in the club lol, music and TV romanticize realationships so I try and avoid them.

I prefer watching Sports or cartoons lol

You're never alone my brother/sister (anonymous can't tell lol)

We're all human, we're all connected.

Stay strong, things will get better, take the advice given to you in this thread.
My old uni friends are probably with their families spread all over the country. Only 1 out like 10 remembred my Birthday last month .

A girl I like has a boyfriend and basically isnt intrested in being friends outside of the Canteen.

I tried joining sports clubs in the local area but after going for a month, none of the people were intrested in meeting up outside of the club

Et tu famile? (or yuh know better french haha)
If it makes you feel any better i'll be spending Christmas Day alone as well.

Truth be told it feels like i've failed at life.
Yeah, you can just ring up and ask for an appointment (you probably wont need to say what it is about), or you can walk in depending on if the surgery allows it. I didn't book my first appointment (either the police or my parents did, I don't know) but every time I see my GP they book me another appointment. They can prescribe medication and/or give you advice, they will find a way of making you better.

You shouldn't need your NHS number to sign up to a GP surgery. If you have a letter from the NHS, the number might be on that.

Will give GP a buzz.
Original post by Guy Secretan
Why don't you have a family

I do have a family but I still feel lonely when I see them, I want to have friends to go to the cinema with and have jokes etc . My family will also just give me lectures on what I should be doing they also dont celebrate christmas.

Original post by PhilosophicalHat
This might sound somewhat strange but have a fap. Seriously though, you know when I was hit by depression a while back, I serendipitously discovered that since fapping leaves you with a vacuous sensation (not happy nor sad just somewhere in the middle), this worked to relieve depression, of course the opposite applies also. Idk it worked for me.

Ill give it a go I guess willing to try anything
Will give GP a buzz.

I do have a family but I still feel lonely when I see them, I want to have friends to go to the cinema with and have jokes etc . My family will also just give me lectures on what I should be doing they also dont celebrate christmas.

Ill give it a go I guess willing to try anything

jeez stop whining if you have a family
Original post by sr90

Well one way of looking at it is, you spend the other 364 days of the year alone, xmas is no more special lol !

I always thought if I sacrificed friendship and social events during secondary school and uni, I would magically have friends once I graduates. Guess thats not really true, you dont develop the neccessary social skills ? All the people of a similar age to me at work always seem to busy at the weekends and none of them want to hang out, they all say they will let me know but then never do.
Reply 26
I wont pretend to understand what your going through since its your own life after all.
My advice is to break the cycle, get a goal to work towards.
If all you do is sit around and mope about how sad you are that only makes you feel worse and if your life consists of sitting around and crying then why should people go out of their way to be good friends with you, not saying they wont take an interest, but you cant just leave it and hope it all works out.
It doesn't just switch and get easier straight away but when I look back over the years and think about how much better life is since I decided to take matters into my own hands I know it was a better choice than letting myself sink.:smile:
Original post by Andybro
I wont pretend to understand what your going through since its your own life after all.
My advice is to break the cycle, get a goal to work towards.
If all you do is sit around and mope about how sad you are that only makes you feel worse and if your life consists of sitting around and crying then why should people go out of their way to be good friends with you, not saying they wont take an interest, but you cant just leave it and hope it all works out.
It doesn't just switch and get easier straight away but when I look back over the years and think about how much better life is since I decided to take matters into my own hands I know it was a better choice than letting myself sink.:smile:

true good advice.

What I find frustrating is people seem to take a intrest in my life and laugh at my jokes but the moment I ask them to be friends outside of work, they say basically say no.
Reply 28
jeez stop whining if you have a family

Oh shut up, you old weirdo

Posted from TSR Mobile
why do you care about being alone?
Original post by 6Jesus6Christ6
why do you care about being alone?

Well if you prefer the company of other people and your unable to be a person to have friends, it affects your self esteem
Reply 31
Why not pop to the pub?
Hi OP, I can relate. I'm alone tonight and xmas day. For people asking where their family is - some people don't have conventional families. I'm trying to make the best of it - eating my favorite food and watching some movies. I hope you don't feel too bad tomorrow. Try to watch something nice on TV and take your mind off it. Merry Christmas :smile:
Well if you prefer the company of other people and your unable to be a person to have friends, it affects your self esteem

You could be surrounded by thousands of people who appear to love you, yet you'll still be alone.
Original post by DJC1996
Oh shut up, you old weirdo

Posted from TSR Mobile

hey why am I weird
Reply 35
I know it's probably a bit late for this year now but if you do happen to find yourself (or anyone finds themselves) in this situation in the future then there are often programmes matching people that are alone at Christmas to volunteer host families so you could try that in the future :smile: (Link to an example is below).

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Volunteers-host-lunch-Hull-folk-facing-Christmas/story-25723476-detail/story.html

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zarek
Why not pop to the pub?

I want to be surrounded by familar faces people who actually know me and I have shared experiences, as much as I enjoy meeting new people I know one day they will go back to being strangers.
Original post by Wallam
I know it's probably a bit late for this year now but if you do happen to find yourself (or anyone finds themselves) in this situation in the future then there are often programmes matching people that are alone at Christmas to volunteer host families so you could try that in the future :smile: (Link to an example is below).

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Volunteers-host-lunch-Hull-folk-facing-Christmas/story-25723476-detail/story.html

Posted from TSR Mobile

cool story :smile:
Reply 37
I want to be surrounded by familar faces people who actually know me and I have shared experiences, as much as I enjoy meeting new people I know one day they will go back to being strangers.

cool story :smile:

Some of my now very familiar faces I met in a pub!
Original post by sr90

here I aaaaaaaaaaaaam.... me too. alone on christmas eve.. feeling sad and rejected, but, that's ok. just trying not to cry as I always do when I remember that I'm always alone ^^''

why do you feel like that? are you at uni or already working?
I'm sorry, if you feel to talk I'm here
Reply 39
hey why am I weird

Because you told him to "stop whining". What kind of a comment is that to somebody who feels depressed and alone?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending