The Student Room Group

Rush Limbaugh says Irdis Elba can't be cast as James Bond

Scroll to see replies

Original post by billydisco
Wanna name a famous Egyptian Hollywood actor? Thought not.....

Why do they need to be famous, or from Hollywood?
Original post by Drunk Punx
A black James Bond would be as absurd as a white Shaft or a Mongolian Superman. Wherein lies the purpose of changing the race of a character that has been on tv for over 50 years and in books for even longer?

Superman is from another planet... why would it matter what he looks like?
Reply 42
Huh. Having only seen him in The Wire and Thor, I thought he was American.

Why is this a discussion anyway? Is Craig off?
Original post by Drewski
His ancestry was a Scottish father and a Swiss mother, yet he's been played by Englishmen and Irishmen.

And how does this visually contradict the character at all? You wouldn't know this by watching the film. White person playing a white character. If Sean Connery didn't only play himself in every film he's in, he probably would've used Bond's correct English accent.

Original post by Drewski
But, since we're no longer following Fleming's stories, what does it really matter?

So how does he get a Scottish estate, a Scottish father and a Swiss mother and be black? The last film acknowledges the estate. It just makes no sense at all. It's certainly not the most likely.

Besides I don't think characters should change race in film. It's like wanting a white person to play Shaft or Blade, it's dumb. And I certainly don't like the insinuation that by thinking this, people also think black people shouldn't be allowed to act in films because it's completely different.

I know, let's get a woman to play James Bond.

I don't know why anyone's even talking about this anyway. Where did this come from? And then there just happened to be Sony emails about it as well ages after people were talking about it?

Original post by billydisco
Most pathetic things in life are lefty-pandering.

I dunno, I think whoever George Lucas and Peter Jackson were pandering to in their Star Wars and Lord of the Rings prequels could beat that.

You know how they just edited out Sebastian Shaw in Return of the Jedi? Maybe they can edit out Billy Dee Williams's portray of Lando and replace it with a white actor, because we aren't bigoted to think a white actor can't do as well as a black actor, right?

Original post by Tai Ga
If moses and ancient egyptians can be cast using white actors, then you can have a black man playing james bond. Hollywood whitewashes tonnes of movies, so I don't see the issue.

If anything, I would buy an arabic or persian Bond over a black one because Europeans and Middle Easterners are similar. Must more plausible. Remember, people kicked up a fuss Danial Craig was blonde, all it's going to do is upset people who care while people who don't care also won't care if another film is never made.

I personally think there becomes a time when a character has to look like something. No-one is going to cast someone who doesn't look like Christopher Reeve as Superman, or someone who doesn't look like the comics. To me it just doesn't make any sense at all. Some films I think are fine with it. They made M a woman. I can buy Moneypenny having some black heritage.

I just don't get why they don't create new characters if they want non-white protagonists. It's like remaking Die Hard with a black actor instead of creating a new character and let them be their own thing. Want a black superhero? Make one. I'm just utterly shocked Marvel is incapable of creativity.

Only the subject of Bond's personality, I think Idris Elba would be fine.
(edited 9 years ago)
This is one of those things where there would be lots of so called controversy in the built up to it, then 5 minutes into the film no one will be caring anyway and just enjoying the film.

Its also worth mentioning that the bond films have never been literal adaptations of Fleming's books, in the same way something like pride and prejudice is. Contemporary adaptations and aren't even set in the period the modern day for a modern audience. They have to move with the times or they end up just making the same film repeatedly

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can't say I much care about James Bond. However Rush is correct he is meant to be white and Scottish. Sony will just be doing it to by cool and new. Of course he said nothing other than pointing out a fact and Progressive Liberal media party attacks him for it.
For all the people harping on about Bonds scottish ancestry. That was added in after Fleming liked Connery's performance.
Depends on how faithful you want to be to Fleming's conception of Bond. Personally I think even Craig was a poor choice, aesthetically. Bond should be dark-haired and slim, if you want to follow the books. Connery was probably the ideal Bond.

Of course, if you just want to make good cinema then Bond's image is entirely fluid.
Original post by The Socktor

Well played, sir.
If anyone says the whole "Duh Egypt" thing... They weren't even black.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
Idris Elba would be an awesome Bond because of he portrays what you want from James Bond really well.

There is obviously very little continuity between actors anyway - I mean, ffs, do people really believe that craig's bond is the same guy who was fighting soviets back in the 60s and has barely aged?

Given that Eon have been producing Bond films for 50 odd years, James Bond is going to be whoever can bring the character alive best, not who best looks like Bond in the books which the film is at best loosely based on now.
Original post by The Socktor

Original post by Drunk Punx
Well played, sir.

Erm... because perhaps Superman is a classic comic character and his appearance is a timeless part of the character
The names Bond....Jane Bond.

Same argument?

What does it matter what Flemming wrote?

If you can have Idris you can have Angelina.
Reply 53
Seeing its a film franchise and the objective is always maximising profit, they will choose whichever actor will attract the widest audience.

A black Bond will probably be attractive to film goers in Africa while an oriental bond would be useful to pull audiences in the far east.

Limbaugh is a dinosaur, if he was in charge of the media, there would be no black or asian characters on US TV or film unless they were servants or slaves or stock characters to be made fun off.

Elba is a little old to be Bond, he would have been good when he was in Ultraviolet in the late 1990s.

A female Bond would be good, after all, M has been a woman for nearly 20 years.
(edited 9 years ago)
I think they should have a Bond who is a member of the nation of Islam. Name's Bond, Jamal Shabazz Bond, and I'm a kick yo evil cracka ass.
Original post by G8D
Egyptians were white.

I'm no anthropologist, but according to Wikipedia that's debatable.
Reply 56
When they used white people to take the role of e.g. Koreans in 21-a film based on a REAL story. There was just hush criticism but hey can't have a non-white guy playing a fictional character that's not even supposed to have a race. Countless other examples.

Whiten privilege needs to be pandered to though.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 57
Original post by G8D
Ancient Egyptians do not equal modern Egyptians. That particular race was light skinned and light haired. Whether they died out or survived by migration is not known.

No, that's what social conditioning and white supremacy has told you.
Reply 58
Original post by G8D
Keep dreaming.

It's not your fault. Social conditioning is a powerful omnipotent force upon the weak; they acquiesce eagerly and their devotion to it is steadfast. I don't blame you.
I thought the same when a blond bond was cast, but Craig proved me wrong

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending