Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Rush Limbaugh says Irdis Elba can't be cast as James Bond Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jmlkhn)
    Idris Elba is a great actor. If they cast him I guess that takes the whole "Bond is the codename of different 007s" into perspective though

On the flip side though, Bond just isn't black, yellow or brown. I don't know why so many people are jumping the Politically Correct wagon and seem to be complaining about this. Whitewashing is a pretty ****ing big problem in Hollywood but you don't counter that by doing the opposite? Just imagine someone put Christopher Walken as the lead for "Black Dynamite" or Bradley Cooper for "Shaft"? Doesn't work

Films that are based on an idea should be accurately representative of the idea they're based upon. If Bond is white, just get the **** over it and move on

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I thought the same when a blond bond was cast, but Craig proved me wrong

ReputationRep:
    Bond is a European. He's white. This is just another example of black entitlement and cultural approiation mentality.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Why can't it simply be that Idris is a good actor and I'd enjoy his interpretation of Bond. I'm not saying it because he's black, I don't care that he's black, I simply enjoy his work and think he'd be good in the role.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    James Bond is white not black. James bond is a quintessential Englishman and therefore should be played by a white Briton !!

ReputationRep:
    Hey why did we bother with Helen Mirren when we could have had a black, disabled, homosexual portray the Queen? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    No, that's what social conditioning and white supremacy has told you.
    Do you think all races are EXACTLY equal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billydisco)
    Do you think all races are EXACTLY equal?
    No.

The aboriginals and Indian-Americans are superior to all.

Do you think real people are different to made up people?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billydisco)
    Hey why did we bother with Helen Mirren when we could have had a black, disabled, homosexual portray the Queen? :rolleyes:

Because the Queen is an actual person. Bond is a fictional character who has been reincarnated and reinvented many times. The most defining thing about him is that he is British which doesn't automatically equal white.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    The most defining thing about him is that he is British which doesn't automatically equal white.
    It used to when Bond was written...... before some liberal politicians decided to turn our cities in to multicultural ghettos.

(The only successful immigration has been Indian immigration)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    Because the Queen is an actual person. Bond is a fictional character who has been reincarnated and reinvented many times. The most defining thing about him is that he is British which doesn't automatically equal white.
    James Bond is the quintessential Englishman and therefore is defined as being white !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam280297)
    Rush Limbaugh has said that Irdis Elba shouldn't be cast as James Bond becuase he is black.

Your Thoughts on This?
    And what say in the matter does Rush Limbaugh have in the matter?

If as I suspect none, my thoughts are thus; so what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Native Briton-)
    James Bond is the quintessential Englishman and therefore is defined as being white !!
    Awww see, I'm sorry to say being an Englishman hasn't been the preserve of the white for a while now.

ReputationRep:
    Casting him as bond would be nothing more than multicultural pandering by the left wing.

ReputationRep:
    It's utterly ridiculous. Idris Elba would be a truly fantastic James Bond. The calm and suave style he has as Russell 'Stringer' Bell in The Wire means he's perfect for the role. He is one of the best actors Britain has ever produced so to not give him the nod would be almost criminal. Also, he likes shut doors so knows how to keep information confidential. He'd make a brilliant agent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorgotron)
    Casting him as bond would be nothing more than multicultural pandering by the left wing.
    We all know that but the anti-racists are cooking up the next line of defence against that argument.

Get prepared for "white privilege" to become a big thing in Britain. Bond is a relic of white male patriarchy so he has to be changed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by perfectsymbology)
    We all know that but the anti-racists are cooking up the next line of defence against that argument.

Get prepared for "white privilege" to become a big thing in Britain. Bond is a relic of white male patriarchy so he has to be changed.
    James Bond will be branded the last bastion of British colonialism. Lets all wait to see what the Guardian says about the tierney of white privilige being a white bond

ReputationRep:
    I think there's a scene in Goldeneye where Judi Dench calls Pierce Brosnan a 'sexist mysogynist dinosaur'. You knew the writing was on the wall from that point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    He's a quintessentially British, old school aristocrat of Scottish background. Well in theory this does not absolutely exclude black actors, I dont think it is incorrect to say it is a ''white character'' in the eyes of the vast majority. He was written as a white character, simple as that. When Piers Bronsman played him he didnt do it in an Irish accent did he? The role is what it is.

Is shaft not a ''black character''? Could Michael Fassbender play him? Yes he surely could but it would just be weird.

Why dont people write an entirely new role for a Black British secret agent as opposed to trying to hijack an existing institution if it is such an issue? I wish people would not see this as racism and just acknowledge that James Bond is a white guy.
    Nailed it, close the thread.

(Oh and it's Pierce Brosnan)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorgotron)
    Or a simple casting decision by producers on behalf of a movie company.

Not everything is about 'the darkies taking over' or some sinister plot by neo-communists to deny you your Jam and Jerusalem.

Idris Elba is a talented actor, who could probably pull of the archtype Bond.
    Yeah he is black, guess what? So are a lot of Brits these days. It's hardly a wild flight of fancy for a black Briton called Bond to join MI5 and just so happen to kick ass lol.

ReputationRep:
    You want the truth? You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!

Anyway, truth is, it's not some neo-communist conspiracy like you say, but more of the same which has been going on since the 60's. Namely the Boomer generation using the -isms weapon to lever and maintain as much power as possible. The Clintons, the Kennedy's, the Obamas etc in America have all been very skilled at this.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 29, 2014
Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.