The Student Room Group

Rush Limbaugh says Irdis Elba can't be cast as James Bond

Scroll to see replies

Bond is a European. He's white. This is just another example of black entitlement and cultural approiation mentality.
Why can't it simply be that Idris is a good actor and I'd enjoy his interpretation of Bond. I'm not saying it because he's black, I don't care that he's black, I simply enjoy his work and think he'd be good in the role.

Posted from TSR Mobile
James Bond is white not black. James bond is a quintessential Englishman and therefore should be played by a white Briton !!
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey why did we bother with Helen Mirren when we could have had a black, disabled, homosexual portray the Queen? :rolleyes:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by 419
No, that's what social conditioning and white supremacy has told you.

Do you think all races are EXACTLY equal?
Reply 65
Original post by billydisco
Do you think all races are EXACTLY equal?

No.

The aboriginals and Indian-Americans are superior to all.

Do you think real people are different to made up people?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by billydisco
Hey why did we bother with Helen Mirren when we could have had a black, disabled, homosexual portray the Queen? :rolleyes:

Because the Queen is an actual person. Bond is a fictional character who has been reincarnated and reinvented many times. The most defining thing about him is that he is British which doesn't automatically equal white.
Original post by ForestCat
The most defining thing about him is that he is British which doesn't automatically equal white.

It used to when Bond was written...... before some liberal politicians decided to turn our cities in to multicultural ghettos.

(The only successful immigration has been Indian immigration)
Original post by ForestCat
Because the Queen is an actual person. Bond is a fictional character who has been reincarnated and reinvented many times. The most defining thing about him is that he is British which doesn't automatically equal white.

James Bond is the quintessential Englishman and therefore is defined as being white !!
Original post by Sam280297
Rush Limbaugh has said that Irdis Elba shouldn't be cast as James Bond becuase he is black.

Your Thoughts on This?

And what say in the matter does Rush Limbaugh have in the matter?

If as I suspect none, my thoughts are thus; so what?
Original post by -Native Briton-
James Bond is the quintessential Englishman and therefore is defined as being white !!

Awww see, I'm sorry to say being an Englishman hasn't been the preserve of the white for a while now.
Casting him as bond would be nothing more than multicultural pandering by the left wing.
It's utterly ridiculous. Idris Elba would be a truly fantastic James Bond. The calm and suave style he has as Russell 'Stringer' Bell in The Wire means he's perfect for the role. He is one of the best actors Britain has ever produced so to not give him the nod would be almost criminal. Also, he likes shut doors so knows how to keep information confidential. He'd make a brilliant agent.

[video="youtube;HDiveb6Fhy0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDiveb6Fhy0[/video]
Original post by Zorgotron
Casting him as bond would be nothing more than multicultural pandering by the left wing.

We all know that but the anti-racists are cooking up the next line of defence against that argument.

Get prepared for "white privilege" to become a big thing in Britain. Bond is a relic of white male patriarchy so he has to be changed.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by perfectsymbology
We all know that but the anti-racists are cooking up the next line of defence against that argument.

Get prepared for "white privilege" to become a big thing in Britain. Bond is a relic of white male patriarchy so he has to be changed.

James Bond will be branded the last bastion of British colonialism. Lets all wait to see what the Guardian says about the tierney of white privilige being a white bond
I think there's a scene in Goldeneye where Judi Dench calls Pierce Brosnan a 'sexist mysogynist dinosaur'. You knew the writing was on the wall from that point.
Reply 76
Original post by Zürich
He's a quintessentially British, old school aristocrat of Scottish background. Well in theory this does not absolutely exclude black actors, I dont think it is incorrect to say it is a ''white character'' in the eyes of the vast majority. He was written as a white character, simple as that. When Piers Bronsman played him he didnt do it in an Irish accent did he? The role is what it is.

Is shaft not a ''black character''? Could Michael Fassbender play him? Yes he surely could but it would just be weird.

Why dont people write an entirely new role for a Black British secret agent as opposed to trying to hijack an existing institution if it is such an issue? I wish people would not see this as racism and just acknowledge that James Bond is a white guy.

Nailed it, close the thread.

(Oh and it's Pierce Brosnan)
Original post by Zorgotron

Or a simple casting decision by producers on behalf of a movie company.

Not everything is about 'the darkies taking over' or some sinister plot by neo-communists to deny you your Jam and Jerusalem.

Idris Elba is a talented actor, who could probably pull of the archtype Bond.
Yeah he is black, guess what? So are a lot of Brits these days. It's hardly a wild flight of fancy for a black Briton called Bond to join MI5 and just so happen to kick ass lol.
You want the truth? You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!

Anyway, truth is, it's not some neo-communist conspiracy like you say, but more of the same which has been going on since the 60's. Namely the Boomer generation using the -isms weapon to lever and maintain as much power as possible. The Clintons, the Kennedy's, the Obamas etc in America have all been very skilled at this.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 79
Not really concerned with Rush Limbaugh's opinions - or those of any other random but very American media personalities...

Not too keen on having Idris or any non-white actors as Bond. Nothing against Idris Elba, very good actor, but Bond is an Englishman (please no one pipe up about him being Scottish etc... - when people say English they often mean British) of the old school - old school here referring to the time (circa 1920s - 1960s) when one might reasonably assert there was a certain amount of ethnic homogeneity in Britain and therefore Fleming's Bond is white or at least assumed to be so.

Of course in my opinion the whole series has been mucked about with so much you might as well go the whole hog and have a bisexual, black female Bond in a wheelchair set in the Star Wars universe... I mean Daniel Craig being blonde is still something that looks wrong to me. They're a little too keen on trying to be cerebral and gritty and physical (Bourne style) and "updating it"... whatever that's supposed to mean

Film and TV is always going to be conflicted over this kind of thing -

On the one hand they want to be progressive and challenge perceptions, and have loads of multi-cultural, disabled, female, LGBT types, etc...

On the other hand if you're filming something about Henry V you do have to be concerned with the look of the thing (i.e. Henry V and the knights/etc... of 15th century England probably wouldn't include many ethnic minorities in reality) because that's what the business is. You telling a story in a visual medium so how someone looks is pretty important.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending