The Student Room Group
Reply 1
One of my university professors studied there I believe. Not that this post is entirely relevant mind you...:P
Ewa
is anyone going to bocconi university (milano, italy) ?

About half a dozen people from my class - but then I live in Milan. Are you thinking of going?
Reply 3
Ewa
OP
blackrainbow
About half a dozen people from my class - but then I live in Milan. Are you thinking of going?

well, i'm actually waiting for the results of the selection
Reply 4
I applied there for law last year - got in of course, it's astonishingly easy to get in there particularly if you are a foreign student - since you only have to submit a dossier which is probably not even scrutinised properly.

Their "domestic" selection process is vastly flawed. I know a horde of people going there who did absolutely nothing in high school, barely managing to pass the "maturità" - did the stupid test, passed it and got in. To get an idea of the discrepancies between the Uk and italian uni admission system. I asked the admission tutor at UCL what would be the entry requirements for an italian student wishing to do the LLB here - he expressed his dislike for the italian maturita and made it clear that a 95/100 would be the absolute minimum. In Bocconi you are likely to meet many many many people below this standard.

I therefore decided to come to England instead - UCL.

Bocconi's reputation is mere smoke - the quality of the university has dropped dramatically since its glorious days which produced alumni of the likes of Tremonti (the current Minister for the Economy) and Draghi (professor at MIT, among numerous other things).

It's located in a squalidly anonymous area of central Milan - the facilities are a disgrace - with the obvious exception of the new building - still a monstrosity.

You only get tutoring in your first and final year - and if you are applying for Economics or one of its derivates be prepared for classes of 300/400 students.

Once you come out - you are likely to get a job but bear in mind that due to the inflation of graduates infesting Italy - the pay is ludicrously low. My cousin went to Bocconi - he now works for Mondadori (Berlusconi's publishing house) for something like 800 Euros a month - and that's the average graduate salary you get in Milan.

In addition, if you seek anything remotely resembling an idyllic uni/campus life bocconi is probably the worst place on the face of the earth. Italy is unfortunately characterised by the complete absence of the extra-academic aspect of school - this problem originates from primary school and is perpetrated all the way through university - Bocconi is no exception.

I seriously hope that, like me, you also applied to British unis.

Note that I'm Italian and therefore have a vague idea of what I'm talking about and this is not an attempt to frighten you - I simply wish to inform you of the consequences of your choice.
Reply 5
Wow, really? I always assumed Bocconi was very highly regarded worldwide, particularly with employers. I wouldn't imagine that it's difficult to get a top grad job in the UK with a degree from there.
Reply 6
Perhaps this illustrious image you have of Bocconi has been inculcated by the professor you mentioned.

My mother, a lawyer in Italy, keeps on congratulating me for the choice I made to come to England instead of Bocconi she constantly hears horrendous stories about the falling quality of such former powerhouse, the fact that they take on just about everyone who passes the “admission test” as long as they can pay the fees (which are means tested quite a sensible solution). So yeah, whatever reputation it had uhm…. very doubtful about the future. The only thing that remains reasonably solid is its MBA, which manages to crawl its way in the top 10/15 European best.
Reply 7
otnemem
I applied there for law last year - got in of course, it's astonishingly easy to get in there particularly if you are a foreign student - since you only have to submit a dossier which is probably not even scrutinised properly.

Their "domestic" selection process is vastly flawed. I know a horde of people going there who did absolutely nothing in high school, barely managing to pass the "maturità" - did the stupid test, passed it and got in. To get an idea of the discrepancies between the Uk and italian uni admission system. I asked the admission tutor at UCL what would be the entry requirements for an italian student wishing to do the LLB here - he expressed his dislike for the italian maturita and made it clear that a 95/100 would be the absolute minimum. In Bocconi you are likely to meet many many many people below this standard.

I therefore decided to come to England instead - UCL.

Bocconi's reputation is mere smoke - the quality of the university has dropped dramatically since its glorious days which produced alumni of the likes of Tremonti (the current Minister for the Economy) and Draghi (professor at MIT, among numerous other things).

It's located in a squalidly anonymous area of central Milan - the facilities are a disgrace - with the obvious exception of the new building - still a monstrosity.

You only get tutoring in your first and final year - and if you are applying for Economics or one of its derivates be prepared for classes of 300/400 students.

Once you come out - you are likely to get a job but bear in mind that due to the inflation of graduates infesting Italy - the pay is ludicrously low. My cousin went to Bocconi - he now works for Mondadori (Berlusconi's publishing house) for something like 800 Euros a month - and that's the average graduate salary you get in Milan.

In addition, if you seek anything remotely resembling an idyllic uni/campus life bocconi is probably the worst place on the face of the earth. Italy is unfortunately characterised by the complete absence of the extra-academic aspect of school - this problem originates from primary school and is perpetrated all the way through university - Bocconi is no exception.

I seriously hope that, like me, you also applied to British unis.

Note that I'm Italian and therefore have a vague idea of what I'm talking about and this is not an attempt to frighten you - I simply wish to inform you of the consequences of your choice.

funny you say that, as the admission process for italian students actually takes into consideration the high school results of the two years prior to the application. the admission test only counts for 50% of the admission criteria.

as for the maturita` being a 'JOKE'. i would just like to say that it allows you to acquire a very solid general culture. if you come out of a 'liceo' [i guess it would be the equivalent of grammar school] you will have studied latin for 5 years [greek optionally] as well as philosophy, history, mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology, one foreign language and literature with a difference in emphasis depending on which type of high school you choose.

also, tremonti is one of the lousiest ministers there have ever been. you might have wanted to quote renato soru [ceo of tiscali] as an example of a famous bocconi alumni.

i dont really want to get into a debate over which system is better but i think you painted a completely distorted picture of the italian system and you didn't give bocconi the credit it deserves.
Reply 8
Don't get me wrong.. I'm not saying that the Italian system/maturita is a joke - although the way the high school system is headed it will soon become one. My point is that Bocconi takes on just about anyone - I have a countless number of friends studying there who just about managed to pass their maturita - now if that accounts for 50% of the admission process, as you say, the only way they could have gotten in is by doing brilliantly in the test - this, although possible, is highly unlikely.

For "foreign" students there are no specific requirements - all you have to do is send your "dossier" and well you are quite likely to get in. Now, I admire their attempt to attract international students - probably the only university in Italy to run courses in English - but the filtering process for such students is objectively poor.

Oh and Tremonti may not be an exceptional minister (though Italy has lacked an exceptional minster for the economy for a very long time - I'm gradually convincing myself that the phrase "Italian economy" is incompatible with the attribute "exceptional") but he is proably one of the most accomplished accountants in Italy - one of the big magic circle firm - can't remember which, probably clifford chance - has established a partnership with tremonti's firm.

Don't get me wrong - until very recently I thought that Bocconi was the haven of Italian higher education, then when I experienced it first hand.. huh...it left me utterly disappointed. However, it is irrefutable that it remains one of the best choices in Italy - probably along the other two other private institutions: Cattolica and LUISS - but given the grave underfunding of public universities in italy (and here they complain!! In italy they are lucky if they get any funding for research at all and here the big four whine about the fact that 150m a year is not sufficient - hence the inevitable "brain drain" that is so talked about in italian papers) it is not at all difficult for private entities to stand out.
Reply 9
My point is that Bocconi takes on just about anyone - I have a countless number of friends studying there who just about managed to pass their maturita - now if that accounts for 50% of the admission process, as you say, the only way they could have gotten in is by doing brilliantly in the test - this, although possible, is highly unlikely.

you can check it on their website. i dont think they take just about anyone. i know people who have been rejected. i can't say i've experienced it first hand because i haven't. i know that their graduate school is quite renowned. my flatmate last year applied for an msc in international economics and was put on a waiting list before being accepted [her GMAT was too low]. she had a 2:1 in management from the LSE.

as for the rest of the funding problems you've mentioned, i think they apply to europe in general. that includes britain with the exception of the G5. bocconi could never compete with the likes of harvard or stanford but i don't really see an enormous discrepancy between bocconi and lse. many of the MSc Econ students at LSE come from bocconi. while you may be right by saying that it is not an absolutely exceptional school, it is still the one most likely to get you in the best grad schools/jobs in italy. in particular, firms in milan look very favorably upon bocconi grads. whether it reflects the quality of the teaching or not, you're bound to be recognized as having a good degree.

Latest

Trending

Trending