The Student Room Group

Dropping an AS level early?

I am currently half way through my first year of AS levels, and I take History, Sociology, Psychology and Philosophy,Religion and Ethics. My most difficult subject is history due to its content and essay writing techniques, but it is what I want to pursue at a university level. Sociology and Psychology are probably equal in difficulty, the exams not being that difficult but there is tonnes of content to remember e.g. studies. For Sociology and Psychology I have pretty much got the techniques right but have slacked in independent learning, for psychology I am half way through but for sociology my teacher is always off so we are far behind. Philosophy is the subject which I least enjoy and am furthest behind in, and I am considering dropping it depending on the grade I get in the mock exam so I can concentrate on the other three which I want to carry on into A2, is this a wise decision since the exams are only few months away?
Reply 1
You should probably continue all of them and try your hardest to catch up. You have a holiday now and should look to get the best grades possible in mocks (so that it's easier in terms of content you need to remember when it comes to the real thing). But if you think that, even if you try your very hardest, you'll bomb your A levels if you take 4 AS levels then you should consider dropping one.

Have you considered doing an EPQ? Some universities consider it as an AS level pass and you might find the extended project enjoyable and maybe easier than your other AS levels. http://www.aqa.org.uk/programmes/aqa-baccalaureate/extended-project/the-aqa-epq
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Asurat
You should probably continue all of them and try your hardest to catch up. You have a holiday now and should look to get the best grades possible in mocks (so that it's easier in terms of content you need to remember when it comes to the real thing). But if you think that, even if you try your very hardest, you'll bomb your A levels if you take 4 AS levels then you should consider dropping one.

Have you considered doing an EPQ? Some universities consider it as an AS level pass and you might find the extended project enjoyable and maybe easier than your other AS levels. http://www.aqa.org.uk/programmes/aqa-baccalaureate/extended-project/the-aqa-epq

Thanks for the reply, my Philosophy course consists of 8 units, 4 for each exam in which we have to answer 2 essay-based questions on 2 of the units, so I think my best bet is to perhaps learn two inside-out and take my chances in the exam. This should hopefully give me time to progress quicker in my other subjects, while still having a chance to get some extra UCAS points. I would honestly be content with a C because I dislike it so much, but as long as I do okay in my other subjects I am not that bothered what I get.

Quick Reply

Latest