The Student Room Group

Dropping A levels

Hey guys, thought I would come here as I really don’t know my best options. I’m 18 turning 19 at the end of the year and still in year 12. I have a kid coming in the coming months. And I’m not sure how I’m going to complete the next year of a levels. Me and my partner’s living situation is confusing but TL/DR we have to move out of our parents place. I work 30 hours a week/ 4 shifts a week at mcdonalds and bring home around 1200 a month. We worked it out that we could live and have money left over but that requires me to not miss a shift and not take a day off. I don’t know if me dropping out of sixth form considering I only have 1 year of free education left in the 16-19 program. I want someone else’s opinion about if I should cut my losses and drop out and find a better job or if I should continue on and possibly burn myself out.

Thanks in advance
Reply 1
Original post by EpicAshman
Hey guys, thought I would come here as I really don’t know my best options. I’m 18 turning 19 at the end of the year and still in year 12. I have a kid coming in the coming months. And I’m not sure how I’m going to complete the next year of a levels. Me and my partner’s living situation is confusing but TL/DR we have to move out of our parents place. I work 30 hours a week/ 4 shifts a week at mcdonalds and bring home around 1200 a month. We worked it out that we could live and have money left over but that requires me to not miss a shift and not take a day off. I don’t know if me dropping out of sixth form considering I only have 1 year of free education left in the 16-19 program. I want someone else’s opinion about if I should cut my losses and drop out and find a better job or if I should continue on and possibly burn myself out.

Thanks in advance

Have you looked at benefits you would be entitled to.
Are both sets of parents refusing to help you.Coulf you continue to live with your separate parents until your A levels are done?What did you want to do with your A levels before the baby situation?
Reply 2
My honest opinion is to keep with your alevels as in the long term you’ll be able to find better jobs once you finished, and have more options which would be easier for you if you ever decide going to uni later on in your life. Alevels will allow you to have a secure job or even apprenticeship.

You’d need to find a job or see if the Mac Donald’s can work around your school schedule and if there are some days you have to go into school then chat with your head of year or a teacher that you trust that’ll be able to make action and allow you these days off. It is a lot of hard work doing both at the same time but it’s possible and in the long run it’ll be better for you and your little angel (:

However, if deep down you feel as if it’s too much (which is extremely fair) then you can always find other ways to get into jobs or professions. Alevel isn’t always the only route, but it does make things a heck of a lot easier for opening up uni options, apprenticeship options, helps you compete against other employers who are wanting to get the same job you want and good professional jobs that’ll earn you a lot more than the average job.

Just think next summer you’d be finished with qualifications (even if they’re just Es) that’ll enable you to have greater opportunities for you and your family.

Sorry if I repeated myself etc, it’s too early haha
Reply 3
Original post by Lauritamoo
My honest opinion is to keep with your alevels as in the long term you’ll be able to find better jobs once you finished, and have more options which would be easier for you if you ever decide going to uni later on in your life. Alevels will allow you to have a secure job or even apprenticeship.

You’d need to find a job or see if the Mac Donald’s can work around your school schedule and if there are some days you have to go into school then chat with your head of year or a teacher that you trust that’ll be able to make action and allow you these days off. It is a lot of hard work doing both at the same time but it’s possible and in the long run it’ll be better for you and your little angel (:

However, if deep down you feel as if it’s too much (which is extremely fair) then you can always find other ways to get into jobs or professions. Alevel isn’t always the only route, but it does make things a heck of a lot easier for opening up uni options, apprenticeship options, helps you compete against other employers who are wanting to get the same job you want and good professional jobs that’ll earn you a lot more than the average job.

Just think next summer you’d be finished with qualifications (even if they’re just Es) that’ll enable you to have greater opportunities for you and your family.

Sorry if I repeated myself etc, it’s too early haha!

Seconded!Especially the early part!

Quick Reply

Latest