The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

PublicSchoolAnn
There is an element of snobbery in every individual and in every aspect of life. Discuss.
true most of the time
Reply 2
Yes any university ranked lower than 34 for computer science is crap. Has no merit at all, should loose all its funding and be shut down :biggrin:

Sorry :smile:
Reply 3
PublicSchoolAnn
There is an element of snobbery in every individual and in every aspect of life. Discuss.

It depends if you define snobbery simply as harbouring preconceptions. They're almost certainly unavoidable in daily life and should probably be thought of as mental shortcuts rather than prejudices - there are plenty of open minded people who are willing to have their preconceptions challenged.
I see it as believing something is better than something else. Is snobbery really such a bad thing,afterall its just someones opinion eg i will only play with wilson tennis rackets. Of course there are some aspects of snobbery that are totally unacceptable ie over people
Reply 5
Simply Yes the original statement is true, however im not sure if snobbery has to be a permanent feature of oneself.
Reply 6
PublicSchoolAnn

I'm an utter snob. I can't handle poor people at all. I don't mind the guy that cuts my lawn (I waved to him once), but other than that I prefer mixing with upper middle class, rich, sucessful people like myself.

Now, pass me another bottle of that excellent Don Perignon.
Reply 7
I prefer not mixing with rich people. Generally they get on my tits.
Reply 8
Bigcnee
I prefer not mixing with rich people. Generally they get on my tits.

I don't know. Having "half a mild" with a chimney sweep isn't my idea of fun.
Reply 9
Howard
I don't know. Having "half a mild" with a chimney sweep isn't my idea of fun.

thankfully you dont find many of their sort in the lounge of Hotel Meurice.
Reply 10
i find it interesting that although snobbery in the sense most people understand it...for reference, look at howards post.....is reacted against quite strongly, however a reverse snobbery...for reference read bigcnee post...is quite prevalent in britain and is far more acceptable to the vast majority. *strokes beard and ponders*
Reply 11
vienna95
thankfully you dont find many of their sort in the lounge of Hotel Meurice.

Thank God for that. I find always start itching when I get too near poor people. Horrid.
Reply 12
legon
i find it interesting that although snobbery in the sense most people understand it...for reference, look at howards post.....is reacted against quite strongly, however a reverse snobbery...for reference read bigcnee post...is quite prevalent in britain and is far more acceptable to the vast majority. *strokes beard and ponders*

That's true.

Nobody (except for me appatently) wants to be middle/upper middle class anymore. Inverse snobbery prevails. I should think 80% of university students bang on about their humble origins as the sons and daughters of chimney sweeps when they are actually the sons and daughters of Chartered Accountants. Even Tony Blair switches to "mockney" whenever he feels it will play to his advantage.

There are a lot of "working clarse boy made good" wannabees out there.
Reply 13
Howard
Thank God for that. I find always start itching when I get too near poor people. Horrid.

is that the wealth gap or their fleas?
Reply 14
vienna95
is that the wealth gap or their fleas?

Proably both. And the smell of brussel sprouts. Ever noticed how poor people smell of brussel sprouts? Quite extraordinary.
Howard
Proably both. And the smell of brussel sprouts. Ever noticed how poor people smell of brussel sprouts? Quite extraordinary.

*sniffs clothes surreptitiously*
:wink:
Reply 16
Pencil Queen
*sniffs clothes surreptitiously*
:wink:

Come on PQ! No point trying to pull the wool over my eyes by trying the inverse snobbery game. We all know you are a deb who only recently returned home from Swiss finishing school!
Howard
Come on PQ! No point trying to pull the wool over my eyes by trying the inverse snobbery game. We all know you are a deb who only recently returned home from Swiss finishing school!

Cheek! - I might be climbing upwards but I'm starting from the bottom :tongue:

And I'm always skint/poor no matter how posh my job/accent/home is :rolleyes:
PublicSchoolAnn

Depends on what type of snobbery you're talking about :tongue: If having faith in my abilities and not automatically assuming everyone else has the same, then I don't mind being labelled a snob.
Reply 19
waiting2smile
Depends on what type of snobbery you're talking about :tongue: If having faith in my abilities and not automatically assuming everyone else has the same, then I don't mind being labelled a snob.

Is that a very nice way of saying you think you are better than everyone else? :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending