The Student Room Group

QUB (Queens University Belfast) vs QMUL (Queen Mary University London) for medicine.

QUB vs QMUL which one should I pick for medicine I'm only looking at academic rating and the one with better teaching ignoring the campus and location although Belfast is more beautiful and cheaper to live in but in regard to academics for medicine which one?
Both the same tbh...
I would pick QUB...
Bart's (QMUL) is historically more famous and has the benefits of being a London uni (more ppl, more funding), it has some famous alumni, including John Watson but realistically QUB has same academic rating and is also in a capital city...
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 2
It doesnt matter.
Forget all ideas of Uni snobbery.

'Which Uni' is totally meaning less for Medicine - all courses are accredited by the GMC and all qualify you as a doctor.
The NHS is never going to care where you trained - and neither will your patients.

Belfast is a fabulous place to live, its cheap, fun and you'll have a far better quality of life there than 5 years in London.
Reply 3
Original post by alihelmy_56
QUB vs QMUL which one should I pick for medicine I'm only looking at academic rating and the one with better teaching ignoring the campus and location although Belfast is more beautiful and cheaper to live in but in regard to academics for medicine which one?

Lots of good advice already given.

The main thing is that you are strategic in your applications and apply to somewhwre that you stand a good chance at getting an interview invite. So being super selective on your choices once you have your BMAT/UCAT and reading the fine print of the strategic choices with a fine tooth comb to make sure you are ok.

Belfast for example has some requirements for GCSE physics for example which I think have caught some people out in previous years (of course it may have changed this year), and if this is your second application cycle for med you cant apply to QUB if you didnt do so last year.

So if not done your UCAT just yet I wouldnt focus too much on indiv med schools. Once you have post your info in the which med school megathread.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7312527

Good luck.
(edited 9 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending