The Student Room Group

How to revise for AQA GCSE english?

I really would like to get an A*
In my controlled assessments i got an A overall, so is it possible? (with AQA)
I'm doing 'To Kill a Mockingbird', and poetry comparison for literature
And for language, what everyone else does i guess,persuade, arguments etc.

I HAVE MANY PAST PAPERS AND QUESTIONS

If anyone has any advice on how to improve and revise i will be very grateful, thanks!!!
Original post by millie99
I really would like to get an A*
In my controlled assessments i got an A overall, so is it possible? (with AQA)
I'm doing 'To Kill a Mockingbird', and poetry comparison for literature
And for language, what everyone else does i guess,persuade, arguments etc.

I HAVE MANY PAST PAPERS AND QUESTIONS

If anyone has any advice on how to improve and revise i will be very grateful, thanks!!!

Hi there,

I've moved this to the English study help forum for you.

Revising using past papers was my preferred technique for preparing for exams :smile: Practice as much as you can. If you're already on an A then I would say an A* is definitely achievable.

Good luck!
Make your own revision guide!
Use Microsoft and make short or detailed notes on each exam and its contents including context, themes and each character.
e.g I had made a booklet for Of Mice and Men, one for An Inspector Calls and one for Conflict Poetry that I am studying and so I had just printed them out and highlighted A* points I needed to remember. Keep them safe until the weeks before your exam for easy revision.

Past Papers are amazing but in my opinion they are useless if youre not marking your answers. Get your teacher to go over your answers with you after school OR better yet, study the mark scheme and do it youself! It will not only give you a better understand as to what examiners are looking for but also help you to understand where youre going wrong.

Other than this just go over some exemplar answers that would usually be on the AQA websites for your specific exam. They'll give you a good idea of how to structure your essays for top marks.

Hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by LenniesRabbit
Use Microsoft and make short or detailed notes on each exam and its contents including context, themes and each character.
e.g I had made a booklet for Of Mice and Men, one for An Inspector Calls and one for Conflict Poetry that I am studying and so I had just printed them out and highlighted A* points I needed to remember. Keep them safe until the weeks before your exam for easy revision.

Past Papers are amazing but in my opinion they are useless if youre not marking your answers. Get your teacher to go over your answers with you after school OR better yet, study the mark scheme and do it youself! It will not only give you a better understand as to what examiners are looking for but also help you to understand where youre going wrong.

Other than this just go over some exemplar answers that would usually be on the AQA websites for your specific exam. They'll give you a good idea of how to structure your essays for top marks.

Thanks very much! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by LenniesRabbit

Yeah that's a good idea! :wink:
Reply 5
MR BRUFF VIDEOS!!!!!!! learn the mark scheme in and out : know what the examiner will give you marks on. For example off the top of my head in the lit paper being perceptive is an ingredient to am a*. Mr bruff goes into more detail about tht. I somehow got an a* in lit, tht guy carried me through gcse lang/lit. Hope that helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending