The Student Room Group

Harris Westminster Entrance Exams

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by YounesB
Being challenged and stretched can be found within the majority of sixth forms - let alone a selective one. Doing this is hardly a "USP" if you like - it's simply the purpose of a school.

CP's are of course very useful and informative but when it comes to point where it is eating away at time where you could be taught the content of your A-levels. It's almost insulting that this school can afford a six day school week but are not using the time productively to teach the extremely rich syllabus of a-levels in the six days whereas other schools, who by the way saw huge cuts whilst this school was awarded 45million pounds, struggle to cram everything in, in 5 days.

I fail to see how 2 hours worth of CP eats away at your A-level time when you have 4 free periods a week, 7 lessons for each subject , Lunch time and any time at home to catch up. CPs are incredibly beneficial, especially when applying to uni as it shows you have an interest in areas outside your area of study.
Reply 101
Original post by AnimeFreak101
When is the entrance exam?? I got an email but not a letter -_- The email said if I don't recieve it by wed I should contact the admissions team or something. But I can't wait!! XD

Posted from TSR Mobile

24th of January
Alright, if I've offended anyone, in any way, I do apologise. Perhaps writing hurried answers on a journey home was a mistake.

I'm not looking for an argument with anyone, and I seem two have started two. Once again, I'm really, really sorry for offending anyone.
Original post by bobsta
I fail to see how 2 hours worth of CP eats away at your A-level time when you have 4 free periods a week, 7 lessons for each subject , Lunch time and any time at home to catch up. CPs are incredibly beneficial, especially when applying to uni as it shows you have an interest in areas outside your area of study.

It doesn't show that you have an interest in areas outside of your area of study because you are being forced to...
Original post by YounesB
Being challenged and stretched can be found within the majority of sixth forms - let alone a selective one. Doing this is hardly a "USP" if you like - it's simply the purpose of a school.

CP's are of course very useful and informative but when it comes to point where it is eating away at time where you could be taught the content of your A-levels. It's almost insulting that this school can afford a six day school week but are not using the time productively to teach the extremely rich syllabus of a-levels in the six days whereas other schools, who by the way saw huge cuts whilst this school was awarded 45million pounds, struggle to cram everything in, in 5 days.

I disagree that being challenged and stretched is common in many sixth forms (which is unfortunate). The quality of teaching I have received here is certainly of a much higher standard than you can expect in the majority of sixth forms.

Covering the A-Level Syllabus with adequate time is not a concern at all, in my subjects we are comfortably learning the syllabus for our exams, whilst also learning further extension material and being introduced to and taught topics which you would only see in Year 13 at other sixth forms. CPs are, as you said useful and because we have enough time in the school week they are hardly a waste of time. Instead, they are an important enhancement of my education and will certainly aid me, both now and in the future.
Original post by Wesleigh
Alright, if I've offended anyone, in any way, I do apologise. Perhaps writing hurried answers on a journey home was a mistake.

I'm not looking for an argument with anyone, and I seem two have started two. Once again, I'm really, really sorry for offending anyone.

Please don't apologise ! We are only speaking the truth.
Original post by Mathbomb
I disagree that being challenged and stretched is common in many sixth forms (which is unfortunate). The quality of teaching I have received here is certainly of a much higher standard than you can expect in the majority of sixth forms.

Covering the A-Level Syllabus with adequate time is not a concern at all, in my subjects we are comfortably learning the syllabus for our exams, whilst also learning further extension material and being introduced to and taught topics which you would only see in Year 13 at other sixth forms. CPs are, as you said useful and because we have enough time in the school week they are hardly a waste of time. Instead, they are an important enhancement of my education and will certainly aid me, both now and in the future.

I've had enough of all of you desperately attempting to defend the choice you've made. It's bound the be a flawed school if it's only been open for a mere few months. You will see all the changes in the next few years that reflect our criticisms.
Original post by YounesB
I've had enough of all of you desperately attempting to defend the choice you've made. It's bound the be a flawed school if it's only been open for a mere few months. You will see all the changes in the next few years that reflect our criticisms.

I'm just answering questions and recounting my experiences to the applicants, surely my opinion is of some worth even if you disagree with me? I hope you don't let your skepticism get in the way of a great opportunity. :smile:
Original post by YounesB

If you've heard enough, I invite you to seek elsewhere on TSR for enjoyment. As I said, I genuinely hope you find St. Dominic's a much better school to suit your needs. Maybe you'll find returning to http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3044241&highlight=st+dominics a much better option, but correct me if I'm wrong! :smile:
Original post by bobsta
24th of January

Wow!!!!!! That soon? and thanks. But what is the exam on?? :confused:
I'm just answering questions and recounting my experiences to the applicants, surely my opinion is of some worth even if you disagree with me? I hope you don't let your skepticism get in the way of a great opportunity. :smile:

This isn't scepticism, I know this.

Of course. Thank you for your input.
When is the entrance exam?? I got an email but not a letter -_- The email said if I don't recieve it by wed I should contact the admissions team or something. But I can't wait!! XD

Posted from TSR Mobile

The entrance exam will be held on Saturday 24th January 2015 at the Royal Horicultural Halls.
For directions visit
http://www.harriswestminstersixthform.org.uk/13/news/article/45/entrance-exams
Original post by YounesB
This isn't scepticism, I know this.

Of course. Thank you for your input.

Can I ask how you know this, never having experienced HWSF?
Original post by Wesleigh
Can I ask how you know this, never having experienced HWSF?

It's all factual. I do not need to experience Harris first hand to make the criticisms I have made.
Wow!!!!!! That soon? and thanks. But what is the exam on?? :confused:

Its on your chosen Subjects 😊
Original post by Nainyolo
Its on your chosen Subjects ������

Thanks that's really useful :biggrin: :smile:
Reply 116
Wow, it appears a lot of misinformation is being spread about the school on here!
First of all, my experience of the school so far has been invariably positive. Not only am I being stretched and challenged in my lessons, but I, as are many others are being given guidance on preparing to apply for Oxbridge and other top tier universities and to reach our full potential in our passions and interests.

I'd also like to clarify that we are indeed being reimbursed for our travel costs, as well as those qualifying being offered free school meals. Bursaries have also been issued, that can be used in order to purchase items essential to your education.

Having school on Saturday is not nearly as bad as you might think, and the CPs (Cultural Perspectives) are fantastic and eye-opening. Last term the ones I did were History of Science, The Future of Energy and Medical Ethics.
This term I am doing Financial Trading, Human Rights and Lies & Controversies. As you can see, there is a wide variety of CPs and I have enjoyed every single one of them.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask, whether in the thread or by PM.

Hello, how are the entrance exams like? Are they difficult ?
Reply 117
Original post by Squid.
Hello, how are the entrance exams like? Are they difficult ?

They are challenging but you aren't necessarily marked on how many questions you get right but how you go about solving the questions. Also if the exam isn't your strong suit, there are the interviews if that is more your thing.
Reply 118
Original post by bobsta
They are challenging but you aren't necessarily marked on how many questions you get right but how you go about solving the questions. Also if the exam isn't your strong suit, there are the interviews if that is more your thing.

Okay, thank you very much :smile:
Also, should I use my normal gcse books to revise for my chosen subjects?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by YounesB
is the school that good?

Personally, I would say that the school is great in terms of facilities, links and teachers. But there is no actual figure or track record which has spurred my uncertainty.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending