The Student Room Group

interpreting a graph

Could someone possibly explain how i would go about answering these two questions? I have no idea where to start
Original post by Mutleybm1996
Could someone possibly explain how i would go about answering these two questions? I have no idea where to start
The scale on the left shows intensity level. Higher the number, the louder the sound.

The question says the dotted line shows the sound level at which the human ear can 'just perceive' the sound. i.e. the quietest sounds.

i.e. the sound must be at that level or above in order for it to be audible.

Most sensitive means the human ear can hear sounds best at that frequency.

Putting the two pieces of information together, that means the most sensitive part of the hearing is when the dotted graph is closest to the 0 dB level and the least sensitive part is at the highest sound level.

What frequency is the human ear most sensitive at reading from the graph?

2. the frequency response (thick black line) is the sound level generated at a given frequency.

If the actual sound level (black line) is less than the sound level the ear can perceive (dotted line), the sound will not be heard.

From the graph, which peaks does that relate to?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by uberteknik
The scale on the left shows intensity level. Higher the number, the louder the sound.

The question says the dotted line shows the sound level at which the human ear can 'just perceive' the sound. i.e. the quietest sounds.

i.e. the sound must be at that level or above in order for it to be audible.

Most sensitive means the human ear can hear sounds best at that frequency.

Putting the two pieces of information together, that means the most sensitive part of the hearing is when the dotted graph is closest to the 0 dB level and the least sensitive part is at the highest sound level.

What frequency is the human ear most sensitive at reading from the graph?

2. the frequency response (thick black line) is the sound level generated at a given frequency.

If the actual sound level (black line) is less than the sound level the ear can perceive (dotted line), the sound will not be heard.

From the graph, which peaks does that relate to?

Oh okay, thank you, that makes sense! :smile:

2000Hz
A and F
Original post by Mutleybm1996
Oh okay, thank you, that makes sense! :smile:

2000Hz
A and F
Thereabouts. I'd say slightly less than 2 kHz - perhaps 1.8 kHz. A and F is correct. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest