The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Suggestions wise:
I still have no idea why I got in and others didn't (92% and what I thought were bad interviews). A little bit more transparency/feedback about the decisions process would be nice though I appreciate it's a lot of work and it's not top priority, it'd just be a nice thing to have. Overall I think Cambridge is doing really well, there's loads of info about everything on your website and it's probably the most transparent about the process out of all the unis but the massive competition just makes it seem somewhat 'random' as to who gets in which might be helping to perpetuate the myths about private schoolers being favoured etc.
Original post by Christ's Admissions
Glad to hear it, even though you wanted to go to Jesus! :wink:

Haha I did I won't lie. It's j the giant green fields where I can hide and no one can find me

I j thought not worth the stress of competition, but then boom Christ's topped that anyway. I'm glad I did in the end because for the first time, I feel proud of doing something.

So getting in at Christ's this year for NatSci was awesome

In my defence, I always recommend Christ's and sell it to everyone :lol:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 42
If a student misses the offer they are set then it is up to the college to decide what to do. An Arts student with 2 A*s who misses a 3 A* offer is very likely to get picked up in the Summer Pool (I can think of two students this summer for whom that happened - not at my college but whose files I saw in the Summer Pool)

There are a number of reasons why a studennt might get a higher offer, some of which I have discussed already, and when one is considering whether to give a student a higher offer their educational background may well come into it. That being said, most students from private and strong state schools get the typical offer. We absolutely don't automatically give private school students higher offers.

Thanks for that. Do you know how many people, excluding Maths were successfully pooled in the 2014 summer pool, either across the University or just Christ's please. I had thought that the summer pool was only really
for Maths applicants or for people with extenuating circumstances so It is good to know people who miss high offers outside these two groups also get summer pooled.
Reply 43
Original post by Deadpan
Thanks for that. Do you know how many people, excluding Maths were successfully pooled in the 2014 summer pool, either across the University or just Christ's please. I had thought that the summer pool was only really
for Maths applicants or for people with extenuating circumstances so It is good to know people who miss high offers outside these two groups also get summer pooled.

http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/statistics/
Tweak the settings there. 52 in through summer pool. You could look at how many got in for maths then subtract or whatever.
I'd also like to give my praises to the application process. I applied to Emma (sorry!) and they were brilliant with sending information, all of which was done by email which was great purely for the speed of it. I received my offer letter on time, an email shortly after saying the same thing and my offer came through on UCAS a day later, all of which was very prompt. The speed of this was very good, as I didn't truly believe my offer until it came through on UCAS, as I knew then they couldn't take it back!

The information about interviews was clear and easy to understand as well, meaning there was one less thing to worry about.

The only thing left to say is that I would like to know if my college does an offer day, as I've never looked round the college due to not staying overnight on interview days and my family are very excited to see it.

Thank you very much for taking our opinions into consideration, as unhelpful as mine is!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 45
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Haha I did I won't lie. It's j the giant green fields where I can hide and no one can find me

I j thought not worth the stress of competition, but then boom Christ's topped that anyway. I'm glad I did in the end because for the first time, I feel proud of doing something.

Steady Fish, you have an offer not a place :wink:.
It would be better if the first line of the decision letter told you simply whether you were accepted or not. The letter I received was an emotional rollercoaster. First it said I had been rejected. Then the tone changed to a positive tone and the letter said I had been pooled, only to say no one had fished me in the next paragraph.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Deadpan
Steady Fish, you have an offer not a place :wink:.

Yeah, but even if I don't meet it, I still got the offer to get in :lol:

Would be absolutely tragic (but hilarious idk why) if I actually missed the grades
After having been rejected from King's, I have a similar question about the UMS grades and not being auto-pooled: my official best of 3 average is 92.5%, however one of my French papers was incorrectly marked and my teacher estimates it should have been marked 20 UMS higher, making my average 93.6%. My school failed to send the request for remark off on time so this is why my paper was never actually remarked. I noted this on my SAQ and sent the college a signed letter from my teacher announcing this. I know that obviously there is no proof of this and I might as well be lying, but is there really nothing that can be done about this?
Reply 49
Original post by Undisclosed 15
It would be better if the first line of the decision letter told you simply whether you were accepted or not. The letter I received was an emotional rollercoaster. First it said I had been rejected. Then the tone changed to a positive tone and the letter said I had been pooled, only to say no one had fished me in the next paragraph.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably varies by college, but my Churchill offer started with 'Offer of a place at Churchill college'. But I can imagine how horrible that must've been for you and it's an easy change to make.
Reply 50
Original post by fajita.and.friends
After having been rejected from King's, I have a similar question about the UMS grades and not being auto-pooled: my official best of 3 average is 92.5%, however one of my French papers was incorrectly marked and my teacher estimates it should have been marked 20 UMS higher, making my average 93.6%. My school failed to send the request for remark off on time so this is why my paper was never actually remarked. I noted this on my SAQ and sent the college a signed letter from my teacher announcing this. I know that obviously there is no proof of this and I might as well be lying, but is there really nothing that can be done about this?

Should have got it remarked :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 51
Original post by TVIO
http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/statistics/
Tweak the settings there. 52 in through summer pool. You could look at how many got in for maths then subtract or whatever.

Thanks
Of the 52 summer pooled successfully 16 were maths.
Of the big subjects where higher offers are common (ex mature colleges) :

Numbers successfully pooled:

Natural Sciences 4.
Economics 0.
Engineering 1.

So don't miss your offer! Whatever it is.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 52
One thing extra I can think of... Quite a lot of previously public info, especially about the pool process, was put behind Raven this cycle. Can it be made available again, in the interests of transparency... (e.g. the auto-pool calculation)

Oh and feedback should be offered to all applicants (not just rejections) and should include their interview scores.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Should have got it remarked :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know - it's just annoying because it was entirely my school's fault... I told them I wanted to recall my script after the results came in, filled in the forms and everything, but then in September I asked if it had come back yet and it turned out the request had never been sent off (meaning that when it came back it was too late for a remark) :frown:
Original post by TVIO
Suggestions wise:
I still have no idea why I got in and others didn't (92% and what I thought were bad interviews). A little bit more transparency/feedback about the decisions process would be nice though I appreciate it's a lot of work and it's not top priority, it'd just be a nice thing to have. Overall I think Cambridge is doing really well, there's loads of info about everything on your website and it's probably the most transparent about the process out of all the unis but the massive competition just makes it seem somewhat 'random' as to who gets in which might be helping to perpetuate the myths about private schoolers being favoured etc.

Feedback is available to everyone who doesn't get an offer and I am going to be spending a significant chunk of my time over the next six weeks writing feedback letters (did around 150 last year) to those who request it. The best feedback for those who get offers is the offer letter! :smile:

As you say, we are probably the most transparent university in te UK about our admission processes and we have produced graphs anoymising the data which show the correlation between UMS/GCSEs and offers in certain subjects.

I can assure you that it is certainly not 'random' who gets an offer. We don;t always get it right by any means but we take each application and offer very seriously and give it a lot of consideration.
Feedback is available to everyone who doesn't get an offer and I am going to be spending a significant chunk of my time over the next six weeks writing feedback letters (did around 150 last year) to those who request it. The best feedback for those who get offers is the offer letter! :smile:

As you say, we are probably the most transparent university in te UK about our admission processes and we have produced graphs anoymising the data which show the correlation between UMS/GCSEs and offers in certain subjects.

I can assure you that it is certainly not 'random' who gets an offer. We don;t always get it right by any means but we take each application and offer very seriously and give it a lot of consideration.

So we can have feedback? What is an offer letter?
Original post by Deadpan

You will need to play around with the statistics to find out. We took two from the Summer Pool at Christ's (neither in Maths) and off the top of my head I think three who missed our offers got places at other colleges. People's chances in the Summer Pool are not great but people can and do get offers from it and it is usually to those who have achieved the 'typical' offer but not the specifics of the offer set by their preference college.
Original post by L'Evil Fish

I can understand the attraction of those fields - they do look nice. Anyone who gets an offer can be proud bbut, yes, the competition for Nat Sci at Christ's this year was particularly fierce.
Reply 58
Self-disclosure: As a parent I have sat and read many of the discussions, but have so far never felt I could add beyond what others had already done.

My feedback: I think the Cambridge process is actually quite transparent already, especially with the participant of yourself. Unfortunately this brings with it a high expectation and specifically one of an adherence to process.

Up until the interviews were complete, most of the discussion revolved around the application process and what aspects were important etc. I feel this area was well served, with lots of online information available.

Once the interviews were open and people were awaiting offers/rejections the topic of conversation mostly became "when will I hear?". There seemed to be a consistent approach from all colleges up to the day letters were sent out. But then everything seemed to descend into a form of chaos! I understand that the individual colleges may want to do things differently, but if this means someone external is needed to collate feedback from various sources as to what was going on - there is a clear gap that could easily be filled. It should be relatively simple for each college to simply describe the normal process: who gets letters and when are they sent, who gets emails and when are they sent. No one would be concerned with "our intention is to....." but at least the majority would know where they stand. It also shouldn't be beyond the capabilities of such a fantastic university to create a system that sends automated emails to everyone.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mini-Me
I'd also like to give my praises to the application process. I applied to Emma (sorry!) and they were brilliant with sending information, all of which was done by email which was great purely for the speed of it. I received my offer letter on time, an email shortly after saying the same thing and my offer came through on UCAS a day later, all of which was very prompt. The speed of this was very good, as I didn't truly believe my offer until it came through on UCAS, as I knew then they couldn't take it back!

The information about interviews was clear and easy to understand as well, meaning there was one less thing to worry about.

The only thing left to say is that I would like to know if my college does an offer day, as I've never looked round the college due to not staying overnight on interview days and my family are very excited to see it.

Thank you very much for taking our opinions into consideration, as unhelpful as mine is!

Congratulations on your offer and I'm really pleased to hear that you were happy with the process at Emma. I don;t know if they have an offer day - some colleges do, though they tend to be the ones which pick up a lot of students in the Pool as it gives them a chance to see their new college and start to feel part of it. We had one at Christ's for those we picked from the Pool last year.

Providing you make the offer, you might like to suggest it to the Admissions Tutor at Emma as a good idea for the future for all their offer holders.

Latest

Trending

Trending