The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

IELTS Requirement for Cambridge Postgraduate Application

Dear all,

I am an international student which finally made an overall IELTS 7.5 after several attempts. I made it L 8.5 R 8.5 W 6.5 S 7. However, it is required for each band no less than 7, while my writing was still 6.5. Can I apply with this score?
Does Cambridge state they need you to have met the requirements at the point at which you reply? It may be explained on their application FAQs or English requirement pages.

Most unis would let you provide it later, but Cambridge are a law unto themselves :smile:
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Hi all,

I got a conditional offer from Cambridge, but while my overall IELTS is 7.5 after some sections are below their requirements - L 8 R 8.5 W 6.5 S 6.5.
Do you think there are chances to get admission with this one?) And how do I proceed with this 'waiving'?

Another path -- to enroll in a pre-session English course, but a problem here is that I need to have time to get a British visa while the course starts on Monday 7 August 2023.

Thanks
Original post by Nikolaos123
Hi all,

I got a conditional offer from Cambridge, but while my overall IELTS is 7.5 after some sections are below their requirements - L 8 R 8.5 W 6.5 S 6.5.
Do you think there are chances to get admission with this one?) And how do I proceed with this 'waiving'?

Another path -- to enroll in a pre-session English course, but a problem here is that I need to have time to get a British visa while the course starts on Monday 7 August 2023.

Thanks

If you have not met the requirements then I doubt they will admit you or waive that condition of your offer.

With regards to pre-sessional the only advice I can give is to enquire whether they have any online options, or investigate priority visa services.
Hi all,

Thanks

I am also in the same situation as you. Now, I am trying to think about a deadline extension or get approval for an internal language assessment. Do you also consider having an extension?
Hi,

It turned out that regardless of the result, you need to upload your test result to the portal. After that, the university on the portal in a few days either offers an internal language assessment or taking the new test. I was offered an assessment. Then you have to email the language center to arrange it.

If after the assessment my knowledge is considered insufficient, I don’t even know what to do.. because I don’t have much time to improve it somehow to get the required score.

Does anyone knows the duration of an extension you can ask for?
Original post by Anonymous
I am also in the same situation as you. Now, I am trying to think about a deadline extension or get approval for an internal language assessment. Do you also consider having an extension?
(edited 9 months ago)
Hi,

It turned out that regardless of the result, you need to upload your test result to the portal. After that, the university on the portal in a few days either offers an internal language assessment or taking the new test. I was offered an assessment. Then you have to email the language center to arrange it.

If after the assessment my knowledge is considered insufficient, I don’t even know what to do.. because I don’t have much time to improve it somehow to get the required score.

Does anyone knows the duration of an extension you can ask for?

Yes, I just uploaded the test result and waiting their feedback. I don't know the duration, but "to be granted an extension for a language condition you must provide evidence that you have a test booked".

If you do not mind to share, have you already contacted and arranged for the language assessment then? how fast they will give the feedback? Thank you
Yes, I just uploaded the test result and waiting their feedback. I don't know the duration, but "to be granted an extension for a language condition you must provide evidence that you have a test booked".

If you do not mind to share, have you already contacted and arranged for the language assessment then? how fast they will give the feedback? Thank you

Yes, they answered the next day with a link to an online test, the next day after completing it they sent an email offering an oral test in 3 days. Yesterday I passed it, the results said to come in 4-8 days.

TOEFL test is held every day, that is, you can book the next day. The results are also in about 3-7 days. That is, if you count on two TOEFL attempts, then you need to ask for an extension for a couple of weeks.
Congrats on passing the assessment. So, does the assessment similar to IELTS or TOEFL test? Thank you for your insight.
Yes, they answered the next day with a link to an online test, the next day after completing it they sent an email offering an oral test in 3 days. Yesterday I passed it, the results said to come in 4-8 days.

TOEFL test is held every day, that is, you can book the next day. The results are also in about 3-7 days. That is, if you count on two TOEFL attempts, then you need to ask for an extension for a couple of weeks.
Pretty much similar, yeah. I'd say it was easier and didn't require that much time. At the oral assessment I was asked about my academic motives and future plans.
Congrats on passing the assessment. So, does the assessment similar to IELTS or TOEFL test? Thank you for your insight.

Today, the next day after the oral assessment the language condition on the portal is marked completed.
Original post by La Vie en Vue
Dear all,

I am an international student which finally made an overall IELTS 7.5 after several attempts. I made it L 8.5 R 8.5 W 6.5 S 7. However, it is required for each band no less than 7, while my writing was still 6.5. Can I apply with this score?

You can apply, but if offered a place it is likely to be contingent on retaking IELTS and getting a sufficiently high score before you can register.
This information is so helpful. Thank you so much, and again congrats. Overall, from you got the offer to the assessment until the result and the portal status, it took almost 2 weeks then? If possible, do you have any tips for preparing the assessment? So appreciate it; thank you
Pretty much similar, yeah. I'd say it was easier and didn't require that much time. At the oral assessment I was asked about my academic motives and future plans.

Today, the next day after the oral assessment the language condition on the portal is marked completed.
This information is so helpful. Thank you so much, and again congrats. Overall, from you got the offer to the assessment until the result and the portal status, it took almost 2 weeks then? If possible, do you have any tips for preparing the assessment? So appreciate it; thank you

It took 8 days. 2 weeks term I meant for you if they find you not eligible for the assessment and you would have to take TOEFL Online.

My tip for preparing to the assessment is - have some speaking practice with a native speaker right before the assessment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending