The Student Room Group

NHS Dentistry Resources?

Hey everyone!

I have a couple of dentistry interviews coming up and I've been struggling to find recent, concise resources on the state of NHS dentistry and the changes being made.

All the resources I can find either go into too much depth or not enough!

If anyone could help me I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Basically - the NHS choices website is really good for letting you know about NHS dentistry now. As for the changes being made - these have not been finalized yet, although the consensus is that it will probably be on some form of traffic light system - maintenance and oral hygiene being central. Look-up the pilot schemes - that will give you the most info about things to come.

You need to draw your own conclusions from what you can find and probably have some form of opinion about how you woudl like to work within the NHS structure.
Hi :smile: I'm currently working at a pilot dental practice. There is more of a focus on prevention of disease. At every exam we carry out a traffic light risk assessment. They get graded red, amber or green for caries, periodontal disease, soft tissue lesions and tooth surface loss.

For example, if they eat a lot of sugar they are red for caries. Heavy smokers/drinkers are red for soft tissue lesions (cancer). If the patient is high risk, they aren't suitable for advanced treatment (crowns, bridges, implants) until it improves. So we would focus on smoking cessation advice, diet advice and wait until they go to green and treatment is much more likely to be successful in the long-term.

Quick Reply

Latest