The Student Room Group
Liverpool John Moores University
Liverpool

Liverpool - free dentist?

Im not even sure if this exsist but is there somewere in Liverpool students can go for free routine dentistry?
I heard from a friend students who study dentistry at Liverpool Uni have a place where you can go and recieve free treatment from them.

I just cant afford to pay for dentist bills and the last time i went i was supposed to go back for a few fillings & im sure i need more now!

Reply 1
Yes indeed. The treatment is done by dental students in the dental hospital. What you need to do is to go to the dental hospital and asked to be placed under the assessment clinic patient waiting list. You'll get a letter when the assessment clinic is n will be assessed then allocated to students according to treatment needs.
Liverpool
Reply 2
Not sure if this helps, but all my family are registered with a Dental practice in Upton on the Wirral, we all go from far and wide to go there. He is good.
My dentist is in the Belle Vale centre (if you don't know where that is then get the 79 (Arriva) or 14 (Halton) from Town and get off when you see a 1970s monstrosity with Belle Vale Shopping centre written on a bright yellow sign in navy blue. It's painful to look at, I know. But the dentist herself is absolutely lovely (through sheer fluke of timings my 6-monthly checkup a few years ago was on my 18th, she greeted me with a huge hug, card and bottle of vodka hehe!). It's completely NHS and I think students get free NHS treatments although I'm not entirely sure. Although if you'll definitely be treated for free at the dental hospital then obviously that's the better bet.
izaldo
Not sure if this helps, but all my family are registered with a Dental practice in Upton on the Wirral, we all go from far and wide to go there. He is good.

MilitantSheep
My dentist is in the Belle Vale centre (if you don't know where that is then get the 79 (Arriva) or 14 (Halton) from Town and get off when you see a 1970s monstrosity with Belle Vale Shopping centre written on a bright yellow sign in navy blue. It's painful to look at, I know. But the dentist herself is absolutely lovely (through sheer fluke of timings my 6-monthly checkup a few years ago was on my 18th, she greeted me with a huge hug, card and bottle of vodka hehe!). It's completely NHS and I think students get free NHS treatments although I'm not entirely sure. Although if you'll definitely be treated for free at the dental hospital then obviously that's the better bet.

Do you have the actual contact details please? Just telephone number is what I'm after :smile:
Reply 5
Students don't get free NHS dentist care after the age of 18.
Reply 6
As the previous poster said, students don't get free NHS treatment. Pensioners don't for christ's sake! You can go to the Dental Hospital..it's behind the Royal Hospital but i warn you that their number one cure is extraction! If you need a filling they'd rather pull the baby out than fix it!!!

NHS dentistry has 3 payment bands....£16 (for check-ups, scale and polish etc), £32 (fillings etc) and £198 (bridges and crowns)

Hope this helps...
Muz1
As the previous poster said, students don't get free NHS treatment. Pensioners don't for christ's sake! You can go to the Dental Hospital..it's behind the Royal Hospital but i warn you that their number one cure is extraction! If you need a filling they'd rather pull the baby out than fix it!!!

NHS dentistry has 3 payment bands....£16 (for check-ups, scale and polish etc), £32 (fillings etc) and £198 (bridges and crowns)

Hope this helps...

Thanks, that helps a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need to go to a dentist, haven't been for years :confused: :yep:
Sorry to bring this back from dead. But are you sure you get free treatment from the liverpool dental hospital, asI don't want to drag my boyfriend there only for him to be given a £200 bill at the end :smile:
Reply 9
Dream_Catcher
Sorry to bring this back from dead. But are you sure you get free treatment from the liverpool dental hospital, asI don't want to drag my boyfriend there only for him to be given a £200 bill at the end :smile:

You have to get there before 08:00 usually around 07:30 as you have to que up and there are only a certain amount of people they will treat in any given day depending on the amount of dentists that are free etc.
If your lucky enough to be given a number you will be seen by a dentist in the morning or after 13:30.

Once seen by the dentist they will do one of two things, extract the tooth or give a temporary filling that cracks and wears away very quickly.

If you need anything more substantial then you can ask to be put on a list where the waiting period is normally a minimum of 3 months.

Hope that helps.

Edit: This only applies from Monday to Friday. They do not treat on weekends.
to they do "wisdom tooth cuts " ? :smile:)
to recieve free dentistry you need to get a HCP form from any jobs and benefits office, this entitles students to free dentist work. as i am not from Liverpool i cannot be too sure where a benefits office is.
Reply 12
Original post by belinda-jayne
Im not even sure if this exsist but is there somewere in Liverpool students can go for free routine dentistry?
I heard from a friend students who study dentistry at Liverpool Uni have a place where you can go and recieve free treatment from them.
I just cant afford to pay for dentist bills and the last time i went i was supposed to go back for a few fillings & im sure i need more now!

You can apply to be treated by dental students. They are assessed by qualified tutors.
I am currently undergoing treatment by a 3rd year student and I think she is amazing
Original post by belinda-jayne

Hi,

University of Liverpool do have a dental school which is free for a lot of treatments. You will require more and longer visits than normal (available mon-Fri in term-time) and your treatment will be supervised by a professional.

Hope this helps!
Ljmu student rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending