The Student Room Group

Do I need English/History A level to do Law?

I know it's good to have one of the two but I'm unsure whether I want to take either. Just wanted to know if it's vital that I take one?
Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!:smile:
Original post by louiseking10
I know it's good to have one of the two but I'm unsure whether I want to take either. Just wanted to know if it's vital that I take one?

Not sure if they're 100% necessary, but I think the majority of people do take at least one of the two. An essay subject is essential, and history is apparently one of the best subjects to take for law, but English is also a very good essay subject and both would probably be very useful to you. Why not have a look in a uni prospectus? It'll tell you about specific subject requirements for that university and might help you get an idea of what other subjects you could do instead :smile:
Reply 2
Don't take a subject unless you enjoy it, or you won't do well, and at the end of the day it's vital to get your entry requirements(which are high if you want to get on a good law course). It is best to take one or two essay subjects but they don't HAVE to be English/History. RS, Politics etc. are good subjects too.

I do English Lit and am applying for Law/Politics next year so let me know if you have any other questions :smile:
No, you don't. All that is required for law at any reputable university is doing academically rigorous subjects.
Reply 4
Original post by aLittleBookWorm
Not sure if they're 100% necessary, but I think the majority of people do take at least one of the two. An essay subject is essential, and history is apparently one of the best subjects to take for law, but English is also a very good essay subject and both would probably be very useful to you. Why not have a look in a uni prospectus? It'll tell you about specific subject requirements for that university and might help you get an idea of what other subjects you could do instead :smile:

Thank you very much, I'll look into doing History as I don't really like English Lit! I'll look at the requirements too, thanks again
Reply 5
Original post by Cal-lum
Don't take a subject unless you enjoy it, or you won't do well, and at the end of the day it's vital to get your entry requirements(which are high if you want to get on a good law course). It is best to take one or two essay subjects but they don't HAVE to be English/History. RS, Politics etc. are good subjects too.

I do English Lit and am applying for Law/Politics next year so let me know if you have any other questions :smile:

I was orginally going to take maths, bio and psychology but thought that these may limit my possibility of getting into Law? Perhaps I'll look into History, I'm not very good at English Lit! Thank you very much for the help!! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Birkenhead
No, you don't. All that is required for law at any reputable university is doing academically rigorous subjects.

Okay, thank you very much for the help, I just thought perhaps having an essay style A level would help my chances of getting in.
Reply 7
Do the subjects you are best at. For law, no specific subjects are required or preferred, meaning -for example- an A in theatre studies will probably be of greater help to you than a B in further maths.

Also I saw somebody said an essay subject is 'essential', this is not true either. That said, doing at least one essay subject will give you a big advantage for the LNAT, if you end up taking this exam.

In short, you do not have to do either. I took History thinking it would really help me get into law despite finding it difficult.. I ended up getting a C at AS. Luckily I chose my other three subjects based on what I am best at so I have not had a problem with getting offers.
Reply 8
Original post by anonlad
Do the subjects you are best at. For law, no specific subjects are required or preferred, meaning -for example- an A in theatre studies will probably be of greater help to you than a B in further maths.

Also I saw somebody said an essay subject is 'essential', this is not true either. That said, doing at least one essay subject will give you a big advantage for the LNAT, if you end up taking this exam.

In short, you do not have to do either. I took History thinking it would really help me get into law despite finding it difficult.. I ended up getting a C at AS. Luckily I chose my other three subjects based on what I am best at so I have not had a problem with getting offers.

Thank you very much, this has been very useful as I have the same problem, thinking history will be useful but I'm unsure whether I'll be able to get a good enough grade. I'll have a good think, thanks again! :smile:
Reply 9
Hi everyone, I am currently doing Math, Further Math, Physics and Chinese. I am worried my subjects are too narrow. Will this hurt my application?
Reply 10
Original post by TPKD35
Hi everyone, I am currently doing Math, Further Math, Physics and Chinese. I am worried my subjects are too narrow. Will this hurt my application?

If they are the subjects you will do best in and are interested in most, then no you will not be hurting your application. A mix of subjects is nice but not essential

If you aren't so good at those subjects and have chosen them because you think they look impressive, then you may well be hurting your application if you do not do as well in them as you would have done in another combination of subjects.

Universities may question whether your skills are truly suited to law and not a more science-related subject on the basis of your A level choices, but I doubt they will hurt your application.

It is not vital. I know 2 people who went on to study Law at university having studied Maths, Further Maths Phyiscs and French at A level. One went to Cambridge and the other to Nottingham.
Original post by Compost
It is not vital. I know 2 people who went on to study Law at university having studied Maths, Further Maths Phyiscs and French at A level. One went to Cambridge and the other to Nottingham.

Ah I see, thank you very much for your help!
Okay, thank you very much for the help, I just thought perhaps having an essay style A level would help my chances of getting in.

There are plenty of other essay subjects that you could consider taking. For example a language (french, spanish etc), religion, law, sociology, geography etc.
Original post by Birkenhead

Uni of Liverpool rg-accepts general studies and Leicester

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fudgecake22
Uni of Liverpool rg-accepts general studies and Leicester

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, but that doesn't mean they don't also require academically rigorous subjects. I find it hard to believe that someone studying general studies, critical thinking and the like is going to find it easy getting a law offer from reputable unis. However, Liverpool and Leicester are towards the lower end of reputable law schools; for the likes of top 10/15 schools generally these subjects are actively refused.

Quick Reply

Latest