The Student Room Group

Is this a good A-Level Combination for Law?

I’m thinking of doing History Maths and Law and aiming to apply to Oxbridge etc. Is this satisfactory or do I need English Literature?
Original post by elliotc2308
I’m thinking of doing History Maths and Law and aiming to apply to Oxbridge etc. Is this satisfactory or do I need English Literature?

It depends on what degree you want to undertake at university.

From your choices I suspect Law is what you'll want to do.

Both Oxford and Cambridge have no specific requirements but highly recommend an essay-based subject such as History or English Literature. It is up to you whether you want to do just History or both History and English Literature. It may not affect your chances of getting in significantly but you may find you enjoy English more than History at A-level simply because it happens. My advice is to take both and drop one later on.

Maths is also always a good choice for anyone and I do highly recommend it.

A-level Law is not necessary at all and is only really needed if you want to find out if law is for you or not but universities don't ever ask for it. Again, doing 4 a-levels will allow you to drop one if so needed.

I'm not an expert on any of this, I just did a little research and have a decent enough understanding of how a-levels and universities work, so I hope it helps!
At Lancaster University, the entry requirements for Law are AAB, with no specific A Levels specified. This means that there is no disadvantage to an application to the course from not taking English Literature.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)
Be careful as I know Birmingham University preferred that you didn't take law, as they wanted to teach you it from scratch their way. I would do some more research first.

I’d imagine it’d be a perfectly acceptable set of A levels for law at most unis.

As above, make sure to check whether the unis you apply to list any subjects they’d rather you took/didn’t take.

Hey there!

Like others have said, it can really pay off to do the research into the different unis you are considering as they often publish what they require. Some unis may need specific subjects, others may just need grades. Don't be scared to reach out and email unis as well!!

Also, remember that it's not just the academics that matter. Spending some time doing a tad extra work outside of your a level that show your interest in Law can impress unis. Things such as work experience, online course can help you explore your interests and are great for personal statements.

Hope that helps
Kat
Reply 6
Hey all,
Thank you for the advice. I'm going to keep doing my research into the uni requirements and A-Level subjects etc. to ensure I can present myself in an exemplary manner to the universities. Might email them too, as stated. Even if I don't choose Law for A-Level, I guess I can still show my passion for the subject through an EPQ, which might prove effective.
Original post by adyslexicgnome
Be careful as I know Birmingham University preferred that you didn't take law, as they wanted to teach you it from scratch their way. I would do some more research first.

This isnt true. Here is their list of preferred subjects
Preferred subjects:
We prefer applications from students offering at least two A levels from our list of preferred subjects:

Accounting, Ancient History, Anthropology, Archaeology, Biology, Business Studies, Chemistry, Classical Civilisation, Computing, Drama and Theatre Studies, Economics, English Language, English Language and Literature, English Literature, Environmental Science, Environmental Studies, Further Mathematics, Geography, Geology, Government and Politics, History, History of Art, Human Biology, Law, Mathematics, Medieval History, Modern or Classical Languages, Music, Philosophy, Physics, Psychology, Religious Studies, Sociology, Statistics, World Development

Quick Reply

Latest