The Student Room Group

Please, need GCSE additional science ISA help

Hey all,

I have my aqa gcse ca on "how does temperature affect the rate of reaction" in a few days. I was wondering what temperature intervals you'd recommend using, etc etc. if anybody has done this ca, please can you tell me what you did etc.
The rate of reaction depends on the number of collisions between the reacting particles: the higher the number of collisions that take place, the faster the reaction.

The rate of reaction can be increased by increasing the concentration, raising the temperature or the pressure.

As the concentration increases the particles become more crowded. This increases the number of collisions between reacting particles.

As the temperature increases, the particles gain kinetic energy and move around quickly, so collisions between reactins particles are more successful, and also occur in great number.

Increases in pressure forces particles closer together, increasing the rate of reaction.

The rate of reaction depends on the collision frequency: this describes the number of successful collisions between reacting particles each second.

For a successful collision to occur, each particle must have enough energy to react.

As the concentration increases, the number of collisions per second increases, and so the rate of reaction increases.

As the temperature increases, the reactants have more kinetic energy, so collisions are more energetic and fequent, so more likely to be successful.

Increasing the pressure in gases forces particles together, increasing collision frequency.

Sources: GCSE Chemistry OCR Gateway B Revision Guide.

Not sure about the second part of your question. Here are a few links to help you:

http://antoine.frostburg.edu/chem/senese/101/kinetics/faq/temperature-and-reaction-rate.shtml
http://www.chemguide.co.uk/physical/basicrates/temperature.html
(edited 9 years ago)
tell me abou sec 2 pleeeeaaase

Quick Reply

Latest