The Student Room Group

uni stages confusion help pls !!

I'm really confused about how uni works. I know that I need alevels to get into uni but I don't understand the degrees. Do you need an associates degree to get a bachelors degree?? I don't understand pls help thank youu <33
Original post by priceydoritos
I'm really confused about how uni works. I know that I need alevels to get into uni but I don't understand the degrees. Do you need an associates degree to get a bachelors degree?? I don't understand pls help thank youu <33

Hi!

It is confusing so don't worry! Generally you need A-levels and GCSEs to get into a Bsc (Bachelors) degree or you can go straight into an MA(Hons) or MEng degree or others - these generally have higher entry requirements though but still only need A-levels or equivalent. The general rule is that if it's an undergraduate degree your looking at the right kind.

I feel like it helps to actually see it. If you search up any university and go to "undergraduate" courses and then start clicking through. All of these wont need any degree to do as undergraduate means you haven't graduated yet and so they need A-levels or equivalent. If you click on any of these undergrad degrees and scroll down they should outlines the entry requirements for you.

I hope this helps!! If you have any more questions please feel free to ask.

- Jessica
2nd year, Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence)
Original post by priceydoritos

Hi there

The concept of an associate's degree doesn't exist in the UK and is more local to America. After A-levels, you can do an undergraduate degree at university which is a programme usually lasting 3 years. Some of them can last 4 years if you want to do an integrated masters (adds an additional year after the 3rd year and you get a masters degree instead of just a bachelors).

Different unis offer different courses and you can look them up if you go to UCAS and search for courses or go to the specific university website and look for undergraduate courses.

Hope that was helpful, let me know if you have more questions :smile:

-Himieka
Reply 3
Original post by Heriot-Watt Uni
Hi!

It is confusing so don't worry! Generally you need A-levels and GCSEs to get into a Bsc (Bachelors) degree or you can go straight into an MA(Hons) or MEng degree or others - these generally have higher entry requirements though but still only need A-levels or equivalent. The general rule is that if it's an undergraduate degree your looking at the right kind.

I feel like it helps to actually see it. If you search up any university and go to "undergraduate" courses and then start clicking through. All of these wont need any degree to do as undergraduate means you haven't graduated yet and so they need A-levels or equivalent. If you click on any of these undergrad degrees and scroll down they should outlines the entry requirements for you.

I hope this helps!! If you have any more questions please feel free to ask.

- Jessica
2nd year, Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence)

that makes so much more sense, thank you so much :smile:)
Reply 4
Original post by Durham Students
Hi there

The concept of an associate's degree doesn't exist in the UK and is more local to America. After A-levels, you can do an undergraduate degree at university which is a programme usually lasting 3 years. Some of them can last 4 years if you want to do an integrated masters (adds an additional year after the 3rd year and you get a masters degree instead of just a bachelors).

Different unis offer different courses and you can look them up if you go to UCAS and search for courses or go to the specific university website and look for undergraduate courses.

Hope that was helpful, let me know if you have more questions :smile:

-Himieka

thank youu! this really helped and it makes so much more sense now :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending