The Student Room Group

Article: 8 shameless tips that could save you £82 a week at uni

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OldDogNewTricks
Tesco own brand does it for me. I suppose theirs to kinds of caffeine addiction, the I need caffeine to survive smoker to nicotine type addiction where it doesn't matter what it tastes likes and the I want nice caffeine the taste is part of the baggage funny fags smoker to his funny fags type caffeine addiction.

That's me

Also, with regards to English breakfast tea, some of the cheaper brands taste the same as some of the more premium brands so that's some savings there if you dont feel like reusing tea bags

Im not "addicted" to caffeine, and I can VERY happily go without caffeine, and function quite well. I just like nice caffeine, so Ill pay a premium for coffee and non English tea (Not the Twining stuff. That is just expensive mimicry)

You can certainly try downscaling from brand to brand. I tried this with porridge, and tbh porridge is cheap enough as it is. I tried lots of different cheaper brands, and in the end I thought "NO. Scotts/Old fashioned porridge oats taste nice. The others taste a bit...eurgh" Always worth a shot tho!!

I'm happy with buying "cheap "weetabix" as well. Though with the supermarket equivalents, I also look at the back of the packet, because often the cheaper ones aren't good for you at all...
Original post by spotify95
A couple of good tips that may be useful in adding to the list:

1) If you need to cook multiple items of food in an electric oven, don't cook them at separate times; cook everything at once (assuming the oven is big enough). That would make sure that the oven is used for the least possible time.

2) If you have a fan assisted oven, turn the oven off 10 to 15 minutes before the food will be cooked. The residual heat left in the oven will finish cooking the food. :smile:

These are more sensible than some of the stuff in the article.

Some own brand food and drink isn't too bad.

I did used to cook meat in sauce on a Sunday which would do me a total of 3 meals. But that was more because I couldn't be bothered to come home at 6.30 on a Monday and Tuesday and cook.
Original post by OU Student
These are more sensible than some of the stuff in the article.

Some own brand food and drink isn't too bad.

I did used to cook meat in sauce on a Sunday which would do me a total of 3 meals. But that was more because I couldn't be bothered to come home at 6.30 on a Monday and Tuesday and cook.

Thanks! :smile: I was trying to think of some of the tips that we use, as there are more sensible than the ones in the article.

Also - another good tip would be to shop around when looking for food etc. We used to shop at Morrison's, as a family - now we shop at Lidl's because it's cheaper. Also, smaller food shops can also be cheaper than the main supermarkets.

Furthermore, when I go to the university, I can come home via the Leicester Market, and get some fruit and vegetables from there. Usually cheaper than the supermarkets too. :smile:
Or instead of using one of the larger tea bags, some places sell tea bags that are specifically for one cup of tea
The only thing I do is take packed lunches which amounts to a ham sandwich, apple, and banana.

The not washing your clothes one baffles me... How many items of clothing do they take to university?! Or are they just rewearing dirty clothes? I've managed jeans for 4 days and a hoody for 3 but nothing longer.
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Check out the article here.

Anyone got any other good money saving saving tips? :cookie:

Well if you've got the stomach for it look in the binns at the back of Tesco Asda etc etc you'll find lots of food past the sell by date fully packaged and all free. Or shower at either uni 1of the loo's at Portsmouth has or had a shower in it failing that use the ones at the gym or swimming pool.
(edited 9 years ago)
i can't save money. i always spend
The one regarding using the gym / sport facilities is fair enough. I do that after using the gym / swimming on the basis that I had to get two buses home and didn't think anyone would appreciate me stinking.:tongue: Also, if I've not run to the gym, I don't want to be sweaty after and put clean clothes on.
Reply 28
Raking bins?

Why not just make your own food instead of going out? Its better for you and WAY cheaper.

I use bbc food, studenteats.co.uk and easystudentrecipes.com and it costs so little.
Reply 29
A few things I've learned whilst living on the cheap...

Check the ingredients when comparing products, even in the same range. For example, my supermarket's own brand handwash and own brand bodywash have exactly the same formula, but the handwash is cheaper when you check the price per 100ml.

There are false economies. Cheap washing up liquid is a waste of time and money. I've tried a few and the grease they dissolve starts to form a film on the top of the washing up water. Everything you wash ends up slightly sticky, even if it wasn't to begin with. Let's face it, you won't be washing up that often, so buy something bombproof like Fairy and be sure to get all of the mould and bacteria killed!

Beware of cheap stock cubes/granules/concentrates if you're making stew, chilli, soup etc. If you check the ingredients, most of them comprise mainly of salt. A more expensive version will be tastier and healthier.

Don't automatically think that "special offers" are good value. Last week my local supermarket had a deal on boxes of 100 tea bags. On the next shelf up was a box of 200 of the same brand, which would have been 20p cheaper than two "special offer" 100s.

If you're cold, put more clothes on. Sounds basic, but I don't consider putting the heating on unless I'm wearing tights and two pairs of socks under my jeans, plus two shirts a fleece and a hoodie, and I still can't get warm.
Original post by Klix88
A few things I've learned whilst living on the cheap...

Check the ingredients when comparing products, even in the same range. For example, my supermarket's own brand handwash and own brand bodywash have exactly the same formula, but the handwash is cheaper when you check the price per 100ml.

There are false economies. Cheap washing up liquid is a waste of time and money. I've tried a few and the grease they dissolve starts to form a film on the top of the washing up water. Everything you wash ends up slightly sticky, even if it wasn't to begin with. Let's face it, you won't be washing up that often, so buy something bombproof like Fairy and be sure to get all of the mould and bacteria killed!

Beware of cheap stock cubes/granules/concentrates if you're making stew, chilli, soup etc. If you check the ingredients, most of them comprise mainly of salt. A more expensive version will be tastier and healthier.

Don't automatically think that "special offers" are good value. Last week my local supermarket had a deal on boxes of 100 tea bags. On the next shelf up was a box of 200 of the same brand, which would have been 20p cheaper than two "special offer" 100s.

If you're cold, put more clothes on. Sounds basic, but I don't consider putting the heating on unless I'm wearing tights and two pairs of socks under my jeans, plus two shirts a fleece and a hoodie, and I still can't get warm.

Solid advice, especially about false economies. :woo: Related: if you're buying stuff in the pound shop, check the sizes/volume of the bottles. Frequently they're actually a smaller size then you'd get in the supermarket, so actually cost more per ml.

Another money saving tip - if the heels wear out on your shoes go and get them repaired! You don't need to buy a whole new pair of shoes! Takes 15 minutes and is cheap. :smile: :yy: :woo:
Reply 31
And another...

If you use over-the-counter medicines/remedies, check the active ingredients and look for a generic or unbranded versions. Examples:

Indigestion/heartburn tablets containing 75mg Ranitidine. 12 tablets cost:
Zantac - £3.79
Boots Heartburn Relief- £2,99
Sainsbury's Indigestion Relief - £1.20

Mouthwash 300ml bottle:
Corsodyl - £4.75
Chlorhexidine Antiseptic Mouthwash - £2.20

Paracetamol 500mg, 16 tablets:
Panadol Advance - £1.25
Sainsbury's Paracetamol Caplets - 30p

You pay extra for brand names, flash packaging, food colouring and flavouring, none of which make any difference to the way the stuff works.
Eating the leftovers your flatmates have put in the bin is pretty, uhh, gross, to say the least. I would hate to live with someone who was just eyeing my food, hoping I'd leave something on my plate for them to scrounge on. Isn't that what dogs do? I really can't believe that 'tip' is actually being recommended.
Original post by Reluire
Eating the leftovers your flatmates have put in the bin is pretty, uhh, gross, to say the least. I would hate to live with someone who was just eyeing my food, hoping I'd leave something on my plate for them to scrounge on. Isn't that what dogs do? I really can't believe that 'tip' is actually being recommended.

:lol: It's a lighthearted article.... it's tongue-in-cheek. :wink: Nobody is seriously recommending anyone eats from the bin!
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
:lol: It's a lighthearted article.... it's tongue-in-cheek. :wink: Nobody is seriously recommending anyone eats from the bin!

If you say so. :rolleyes:
Haha, double tea bagging isn't that bad really. If you buy very strong earl grey, you can actually make two very decent cups of tea. We do it all the time at home :smile:
Rather than double teabagging - buy loose leaf tea. It's cheaper, better quality and will actually produce a decent cuppa second time around.

Also for tea/coffee etc - if you have family/friends who stay in hotels regularly ask them to pocket the teabags/coffee sachets in the room for you. They're really handy if you don't drink tea/coffee yourself but have people to visit who do.

I used to know someone who would always try to time his loo visits to make sure he used university loo roll instead of his own :rofl:

One thing not mentioned in the article or thread so far is transport - there's lots of ways to save on bus/train fares depending on how often you travel (season tickets, electronic purses, plus bus, fare splitting, railcards etc).

Also shopping - knowing which shops offer student/uni discounts can make a huge difference.
Yeah, loose leaf tea does the trick. When I lived at home we made used loose tea leaves twice (if not even three times if it worked).

Also a tip: if you're just a bit hungry, don't really have the money for fancy food and tired of the rice at home, you can walk around in grocery shops and cafés - they often offer a plate with food testers.

Also, pay people visits - bring your own tea and they're likely to serve you food (if not, you were at least nice and visited them :biggrin: ).

It works to go to different kinds of gatherings too, cultural gatherings and workshops - they sometimes have free food.

And, if you aren't grossed out easily and understand the concept - you can look in the trash bins behind a grocery store. I work nearby one, and I assure you that they bin lots, lots of good, eatable food - just because the date expires. I mean, fruits and vegetables don't go bad if their date is a couple of days overdue, and there's usually lots of them in the bins. Bread as well.

I believe that these tips should work, at least they do here in Norway, if not - blame me, I live in a different country (yet). :wink:
Reply 38
Original post by dariaosipova96

And, if you aren't grossed out easily and understand the concept - you can look in the trash bins behind a grocery store. I work nearby one, and I assure you that they bin lots, lots of good, eatable food - just because the date expires. I mean, fruits and vegetables don't go bad if their date is a couple of days overdue, and there's usually lots of them in the bins. Bread as well.
I believe that these tips should work, at least they do here in Norway, if not - blame me, I live in a different country (yet). :wink:

I'm sure people do this here - if they are brave enough, and good for them, I don't think it's 'disgusting' or anything, as long as it is edible, it really highlights the amount of waste by the supermarkets which is truly 'disgusting', some now lock their bins or otherwise make the food inedible.

Though I'm not brave enough to go out there and look through bins, the best I do is to go to the Reduced 'Yellow sticker' section of the supermarket at just the right time (around 6pm but may vary), I've had loaves of bread for 10p, various ready meals/sandwiches for 50p-£1, fruit and vegetables 20p, etc, and they still last for a good few days despite their expiry being that day.

Now that is serious money-saving (unlike this article :biggrin:), as long as you are patient enough to wait around. Unfortunately at my local Tesco people have found the right time and so form a not-so-orderly queue, and I no longer have the patience to fight over 10p celery or 50p 'Finest' meals with a load of middle aged folk who probably already have bag fulls of M&S reduced stuff in their cars, and so I have had to go to a quieter supermarket.
Avoid showering or shower once a week? That's disgusting

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending