The Student Room Group

valentines predicament

So I've been going out with this girl for about three-four weeks and its my first proper relationship. I do really like her even over the last few years when ive know her but we havent kissed yet even though our dates have usually been pretty fun, if only once every week or so.

Obviously the big elephant in the room is Valentines Day, where people in relationships express their love for one another, however I think its a bit early for us to do that and I'm not sure how to approach the weekend. We're going down into London and I was thinking maybe chilling around in Hyde Park, Camden as I'm short of money atm and cant afford places like London Zoo or the Shard.
Was also going to take her to Oxford Street so she could pick out her own clothes, make up etc as I dont have the foggiest on where to start with that and dont want to get her something she doesnt like.

How do I approach this? Obviously get flowers, chocolate etc but do I get things like a card with love hearts that scream 'I love you' , even though at the moment I wouldn't say that???
If you wouldn't feel comfortable saying 'I love you' and other cliched things yet then don't buy a card that does. Everyone is different but I'd guess I'm in the majority of girls who would find that a bit odd and not like it. Just get a nice card you like, maybe something under-stated, and write a message inside it saying what do you feel about her, which could be more orientated towards why she's so amazing as a person if you don't want to freak her out.
Also it's your choice but buying her clothes and make-up she chooses as well as the usual presents seems a little over the top to me. I've been with my boyfriend over a year and would feel like he was giving me too much if he did that for valentines, never mind if we had been together only a few weeks! It sounds like you already have a nice romantic trip planned, maybe just buy her lunch if you want to do something extra.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just choose a card that says "Happy Valentines Day" or similar, don't buy a card which says things that you wouldn't already say in person. Don't feel that you have to say I love you just because it's Valentines Day, most couples wait several months before this and obviously you have to be sure of your feelings first. As far as presents etc go, you haven't been with her for long so you don't want to smother her or make her feel uncomfortable. Just choose something simple like flowers/chocolates/perfume. Almost all girls will like things like this and she will be happy that you've bought her anything! Pay close attention to try and guess what sort of things she would like (for example she might only like dark chocolate, or if you know her favourite colour is pink you could buy her pink flowers). Maybe wait until her birthday to choose something bigger and more personal. It sounds like you have a nice day planned out in London, and that doesn't have to involve spending much money. In my relationship at least, I nearly always split the bill with my boyfriend because I don't see why he should have to pay for everything, although if you want to treat her to a coffee or cake or something I'm sure that would be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending