The Student Room Group

Tips to improve Nat 5 english?

Hello, recently I have been thinking about how I could improve my English grade. The material that I am studying is Valentine by Carol Ann Duffy and Tallys blood.

I got exactly 50% on my prelim (this was also due to the fact that I did not attempt my essay on valentine) I always remember being good at English and understanding everything, but now even though I still understand everything my grades have dropped (mainly with RUAE)

I also want my analysis to be more in-depth and to reflect the standards expected of me.
I struggle with getting myself to study, and when I do, I have no idea where to begin.

Does anyone have any tips?
Reply 1
Original post by Elenaa_212
Hello, recently I have been thinking about how I could improve my English grade. The material that I am studying is Valentine by Carol Ann Duffy and Tallys blood.
I got exactly 50% on my prelim (this was also due to the fact that I did not attempt my essay on valentine) I always remember being good at English and understanding everything, but now even though I still understand everything my grades have dropped (mainly with RUAE)
I also want my analysis to be more in-depth and to reflect the standards expected of me.
I struggle with getting myself to study, and when I do, I have no idea where to begin.
Does anyone have any tips?

You need a different essay text. Valentine is no good. It is one of 6 poems in the Scottish section and in not meant for a critical essay.
Reply 2
Original post by kayos1
You need a different essay text. Valentine is no good. It is one of 6 poems in the Scottish section and in not meant for a critical essay.

I don't have a choice, it was the teacher who chose it.
Reply 3
Original post by Elenaa_212
I don't have a choice, it was the teacher who chose it.

Do you not know a text you could write a critical essay on? Your teacher never finds out what text you wrote about, only your mark.
Reply 4
Original post by kayos1
Do you not know a text you could write a critical essay on? Your teacher never finds out what text you wrote about, only your mark.

No 😭 in the exam we will get an essay question for example "choose a poem which explores an important theme" and since we have been studying valentine in class that's what we need to write about
Reply 5
Well relationships or heartache then

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending