The Student Room Group
Reply 1
andy_cole2
hmm i spose i could have made the title a little more interesting...anyway i'm using the equation editor thing in microsoft word and was wandering how to incorporate standard form i am currently using a capital E but i don't think thats right...any suggestions?

Superscript?
Reply 2
no the E i need is like a small condensed E its weird i don't know how to describe it. but i don't want to put the x 10 thing in because its messy and part of the mark scheme is about using the best psosible maths symbosl.
Reply 3
can you not write the e in lower case, highlight it, then go to Format > Font and check small caps. Think that would make it look like a capital E, but only up to half of the height of a line.

*edit*
You would have thought that it would be in the symbols list, but I can't see it. Think it is perfectly alright to use lower case. Calculators use upper case due to their restrictions pixel-wise.
Reply 4
oh yeah that could work :biggrin: thanx

EDit: ok no that could work but it would mean i would have to take everything out of the equation editor as when i copy it into the equation editor it takes away the font changes.

any ideas that include hte use of the equation editor ...
For the record, at least in engineering and scientific writing, you should avoid the use of the E notation and always use x 10^x where x is a multiplication sign (not the letter x like i have done) and ^x is superscript.
Reply 6
pghstochaj
For the record, at least in engineering and scientific writing, you should avoid the use of the E notation and always use x 10^x where x is a multiplication sign (not the letter x like i have done) and ^x is superscript.

Well there you have it.

I miss A-level maths so very much :rolleyes:
That's degree level writing, at A level I don't think they cared for me and would be happy with anything!

Also to be noted is the use of a minus sign rather than the - (hyphen) if you want to be correct. Found within symbols.

We live in a pedantic world! However, the sooner you get into such habits the better, I think.
Reply 8
oh right thanx its for IB but meh must be the same il take the 10^x then :biggrin: thankyou for the reassurance, and yeah @ pgh,... erm i agree so pedantic stupid little things taht have to be just so grrr.
Especially when using excel!
Reply 10
what do you use as a multiplication sign in posh language? i mean using the maths editor in word but yeah whats multipliy :biggrin: thanx
andy_cole2
what do you use as a multiplication sign in posh language? i mean using the maths editor in word but yeah whats multipliy :biggrin: thanx

The proper multiplication sign (rather than the letter 'x') can be found from the Character Map (Start -> Run -> charmap). It's in the 8th row, 10th column. Is that what you meant?
Reply 12
lol il go look thanx :biggrin: i'm thinking its a small dot or something isn't it?
Actually, that's the multiplication cross, ×
The multiplication dot is further above that in charmap - 6th row, 3rd from the right. Looks like this: ·

For comparison:
[INDENT]x × ·[/INDENT]
That's the letter, the cross, and the dot
Reply 14
so its a floating dot? thanx :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending