The Student Room Group

CfE New Higher Business Management

Scroll to see replies

Has anyone done any of the model question papers that were published by hodder and gibson? Found some of the questions in those papers absolutely dreadful! How relevant are they to the actual exam?
Original post by elinormd
Has anyone done any of the model question papers that were published by hodder and gibson? Found some of the questions in those papers absolutely dreadful! How relevant are they to the actual exam?

Usually hodder Gibson do quite decent model papers, I've took a look at them and I thought the questions on section 2 were very relevant, although I did think there were a few odd questions in some the the case studies.
Original post by qasim-98
Is there any of them you are most nervous for?

I was most nervous for higher computing today as I crashed it. The whole year for me was trying to get caught up with Python and HTML which I had no prior knowledge. I think the exam wasn't too bad, although some of the questions were quite vague. I think I managed a B, which isn't too bad considering my circumstances. How about you?
Original post by Donnelly99
I was most nervous for higher computing today as I crashed it. The whole year for me was trying to get caught up with Python and HTML which I had no prior knowledge. I think the exam wasn't too bad, although some of the questions were quite vague. I think I managed a B, which isn't too bad considering my circumstances. How about you?

Computing science*****
It was mainly the 4 mark questions about things like ACAS and fairtrade? Also things about ofcom and TV lisences in a wonga case study seemed a bit strange?
Reply 65
I don't think I could get a B at computing science given the circumstances that you were in anyway, who knows you might have even went better than you expected !

I'm nervous for English and biology, English it's just the essay question but I'm sure the thousands across Scotland feel the same, and also close reading:|, but I'm sure il be ok since I count my tutoring sessions with my Tutor as revision lol

Yeah biology should hopefully be ok since I've done ok throughout the year.. Just a case of lookin over hard stuff...
Reply 66
It was mainly the 4 mark questions about things like ACAS and fairtrade? Also things about ofcom and TV lisences in a wonga case study seemed a bit strange?

To be honest I'm sure the SQA will have chosen a perfectly structured and clear case study, though the ideas in it may be complex, which is why we are higher candidates, we are supposed to work with the case study and spend "fifteen minutes reading over the information".. So the sqa know this is difficult..

But not to worry because the questions are made from experienced professionals.. And not hodder Gibson trying to take a stab at any old thing they can find..

My main point is, don't stress over the vague/unclear questions & case study, I'm certain we will be given something that won't be as vague as that :smile:

Remember section 2 is split into 4 units too, so I'm sure that is pretty much a safety net for some people (me) to fall back on
Reply 67
Original post by guzz6
Sorry misread the English part :ahhhhh:Im doing the old one as well hahaha ! For some reason I read it as business but of course this thread is all about the new higher..
Hahaha I have a passion for this subject but if there are going to be questions on HR Im done :ashamed:
See our prelim was on a charity and it was absolutely awful hardly anyone in our class got good marks in it ! I myself got a C then the other part pulled me up to a B. - the aim is an A though haha !
Yeah well I have business then bio and english so Im also dreading it - being honest Im not ready for any of them - never will be :colone:

Yeah hopefully they will be like "Hey, let them have something easy to pass this year haha" :smile:
Workforce planning is where the HR dept. goes through a process of forecasting what the workforce requirements of the organisation will be within the future years. They look at the specific number of employees and the type of the employee that they will require. They do so by looking at previous records and databases of the org. as well as estimating the level of labour turnover :wink:

Yeah I feel your pain about HR...

Who actually cares whether staff are motivated or not, they can shut up, they're gettin paid

I'd like to write that in my exam but I don't think that would go down too well with the sqa
Reply 68
I hate the finance questions:no: too much learn in small amount of space

Any idea how you would do these questions

Describe the possible impact of liquidity problems for a business. (3marks)

Describe the methods of improving liquidity. (4marks)

I just dont get finance at all so hope questions like these dont come up :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by haa87
I hate the finance questions:no: too much learn in small amount of spaceAny idea how you would do these questionsDescribe the possible impact of liquidity problems for a business. (3marks)Describe the methods of improving liquidity. (4marks)I just dont get finance at all so hope questions like these dont come up :smile:Posted from TSR Mobile

for improving liquidity I think you just need to think of it as ways of overcoming cash flow problems so like cut expenses.... Sell assets.... Less cash tied up in stock etc etc
To be honest I'm sure the SQA will have chosen a perfectly structured and clear case study, though the ideas in it may be complex, which is why we are higher candidates, we are supposed to work with the case study and spend "fifteen minutes reading over the information".. So the sqa know this is difficult..

But not to worry because the questions are made from experienced professionals.. And not hodder Gibson trying to take a stab at any old thing they can find..

My main point is, don't stress over the vague/unclear questions & case study, I'm certain we will be given something that won't be as vague as that :smile:

Remember section 2 is split into 4 units too, so I'm sure that is pretty much a safety net for some people (me) to fall back on

Haha, I'm sure this is me just having a last minute stress. Was just curious as I thought some questions were particularly niche! Hopefully on the day they won't be too bad, and at the end of the day I guess everyone is in the same boat!
Reply 71
Haha, I'm sure this is me just having a last minute stress. Was just curious as I thought some questions were particularly niche! Hopefully on the day they won't be too bad, and at the end of the day I guess everyone is in the same boat!

Some questions were actually of poor quality, I mean there's one like

"Discuss the role of a wholesaler"

Discuss means adv and disadv but it's saying what's good and bad about what a wholesaler does? That's not making tht much sense

If it was "describe the role.."

Then I'd know that they want to know what the wholesaler does

I could further argue that they could have even done "Disuss the USE of a wholesaler"

Which is basically tell me good and bad things about using one

The one they had used was just unclear and a bit of a joke..
Some questions were actually of poor quality, I mean there's one like

"Discuss the role of a wholesaler"

Discuss means adv and disadv but it's saying what's good and bad about what a wholesaler does? That's not making tht much sense

If it was "describe the role.."

Then I'd know that they want to know what the wholesaler does

I could further argue that they could have even done "Disuss the USE of a wholesaler"

Which is basically tell me good and bad things about using one

The one they had used was just unclear and a bit of a joke..

Think I'm going to focus on the specimen and exemplar because at least those will be accurate!
Reply 73
How long will yous spend on Paper 1?
I sooo hope this is going to be an easy paper.. I need a confidence booster for my other exams.
Can someone explain ratios to me because Im so confused at what it could ask us? :frown:
Original post by Ed2015
How long will yous spend on Paper 1?
I sooo hope this is going to be an easy paper.. I need a confidence booster for my other exams.
Can someone explain ratios to me because Im so confused at what it could ask us? :frown:

I did a practice paper yesterday, and finished with 25 minutes to spare which was quite surprising, but I think you should aim for around 1 hour on paper 1. 1 hour and 15 minutes for the second section, since its worth a few more marks.

Ratios they could ask:
How ratio figures could be improved
Describe profitability, liquidity and/or efficiency ratios that could be used
Explain/Discuss the use of ratio analysis.
Describe benefits and limitations of ratio analysis
etc.
Reply 75
Yeah i think an hour sounds like the right amount.
This weekend cramming Business and English is going to be so fun...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 76
I hope they do not include finance in section 2 at all, although thinking about it it has kind of grown on me...

I like the explain the use of/why managers use cash budgets

Cash flow problems

Limitations of ratio analysis

I hope "Discuss methods of field research" comes up for marketing because that's usually a big marker :tongue:
Reply 77
I'm seriously baffled. The things the bright red book teaches on finance and cash budgets is a complete contrast to the answers given in the model papers. So I'm stuck as to what to do? Whether to memorise the answers given or to just stick to the words in the book despite the fact that their wrong according to the model papers? HBM was meant to be my easy 'A' subject yet due to constant overthinking its caused me to freak out more than my other exams which are much harder.
Reply 78
Original post by Merv97
I'm seriously baffled. The things the bright red book teaches on finance and cash budgets is a complete contrast to the answers given in the model papers. So I'm stuck as to what to do? Whether to memorise the answers given or to just stick to the words in the book despite the fact that their wrong according to the model papers? HBM was meant to be my easy 'A' subject yet due to constant overthinking its caused me to freak out more than my other exams which are much harder.

I completely agree I am so confused on what to do. The Bright Red explanations are quite rubbish to be honest they don't make sense. Are yous going to learn the ways to calculate the ratios?
Reply 79
Original post by Ed2015
I completely agree I am so confused on what to do. The Bright Red explanations are quite rubbish to be honest they don't make sense. Are yous going to learn the ways to calculate the ratios?

The bright red book is s*** for finance, yeah I'm gonna try and learn them... I can't believe the time is so near the exam :frown:

Il be coming back on this to ask how everyone did, and also if I'm lucky il ask the invigilator if I can take the paper, I was aloud to do so with my higher admin question paper

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending