The Student Room Group

Got my a level results and idk what to choose now

I originally had a City university of London offer for business management, however due to my grades they offered me a foundation year instead. I also have my insurance which is westminister for Business Management ( Marketing). What would you recommend I choose. I was not open to foundation year at all. I have four days to choose! Send help please :smile:
Original post by N1605
I originally had a City university of London offer for business management, however due to my grades they offered me a foundation year instead. I also have my insurance which is westminister for Business Management ( Marketing). What would you recommend I choose. I was not open to foundation year at all. I have four days to choose! Send help please :smile:

If it were me, I'd use the next couple of days (well, tomorrow really) to see what was available via Clearing and call-up some unis. That way I wouldn't have to choose between the extra year at City and the Business Management (Marketing) at Westminster which, by the sound of it, you're not enormously keen on.

If you don't want to go down that path, then I genuinely don't know which I'd choose. Probably City, but I'd struggle to justify the extra year.

What are your own thoughts?
Reply 2
Honestly, I don’t think I will have that many options with clearing, especially because of my grades 😭. It’s just really tricky now. City is good for business, however would going to westminister be bad in terms of jobs and reputation? Thank you for your help! Would you be able to help me with some pros and cons of both?😭

Original post by DataVenia
If it were me, I'd use the next couple of days (well, tomorrow really) to see what was available via Clearing and call-up some unis. That way I wouldn't have to choose between the extra year at City and the Business Management (Marketing) at Westminster which, by the sound of it, you're not enormously keen on.

If you don't want to go down that path, then I genuinely don't know which I'd choose. Probably City, but I'd struggle to justify the extra year.

What are your own thoughts?
Original post by N1605
Honestly, I don’t think I will have that many options with clearing, especially because of my grades 😭. It’s just really tricky now. City is good for business, however would going to westminister be bad in terms of jobs and reputation? Thank you for your help! Would you be able to help me with some pros and cons of both?😭

Understood. I like cold, hard facts - as opposed to opinion. So let's see how graduates from each course do. We can look-up those details on The Uni Guide. The relevant links are below:

Business Management (Foundation) at City, University of London
Business Management (Marketing) at University of Westminster

Scroll down and take a look at the "After graduation" section. The data comes from the Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education (DHLE) survey.

Six months after graduating, the salaries look pretty similar. The job roles are quite different, but that's probably because of the marketing focus of the Westminster course (i.e. people interested in marketing, rather than business generally, would have applied for that course). Is that you? Does the marketing side of things interest you?

Now scroll down a little further, to see the information from the Longitudinal Educational Outcomes (LEO) dataset. There are significant differences in the salary at 3 and 5 years after graduating. Now, to be fair, this is correlation rather than causation. City has higher entry requirements so may have more capable students, who will therefore be capable of earning more. They're not necessarily earning more because they went to City.

Note that an almost identical percentage of students said that they were satisfied overall with the course, which is interesting.

Have you gone through the course at each uni, and compared the modules, the methods of assessment, the contact time etc.? If not, that would be certainly be worth doing. You might find that you really prefer one course over the other - which would therefore be the deciding factor, rather than the uni itself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending