The Student Room Group

HELP! Is it worth going to a more prestigious uni with a foundation year?

I completely messed up my A level results and I'm not too sure what to do. I'm not looking to retake my exams.

The course I've applied to is Business Management, and I wonder will it be more beneficial for me in the future to take a course at a higher university: Will employers in this sector care where I've studied? How would this look compared to other candidates? The extra 9k in debt + another year is throwing me off in which I could be doing a placement year at a lower uni.

Appreciate any advice that could help me.
Original post by bryson24
I completely messed up my A level results and I'm not too sure what to do. I'm not looking to retake my exams.

The course I've applied to is Business Management, and I wonder will it be more beneficial for me in the future to take a course at a higher university: Will employers in this sector care where I've studied? How would this look compared to other candidates? The extra 9k in debt + another year is throwing me off in which I could be doing a placement year at a lower uni.

Appreciate any advice that could help me.

Hi @bryson24,

Im sorry to hear your results weren’t as expected! Looking at a high ranking university could have a positive impact in the future however these aspect differ all the time and employers look for new ways to employ successful candidates all the time. Try not to worry about debt too much at this stage, as this is something you may not even be paying back or if you do, it will be a little amount each month once you meet the current repayment threshold.

My advice to you would be look at the main factors: your goals, priorities, and circumstances. Prestigious universities often have strong reputations and connections to industry. And, a foundation year can provide a solid academic base, particularly if your prior education or qualifications are not directly aligned with business management. The universities network opportunities and access to experienced faculty members may also be better.

However, depending on your personal lifestyle and way of working this may not be so important or beneficial as it sounds. If you want to get straight into the world of work after your studies you may be tempted to opt in to a shorter, concise course that, like you mentioned, offers placement. Sometimes, gaining experience in the industry you want to go into helps you become more successful and knowledgeable than studying a degree for an extra year. Ultimately, it depends on your preferences and goals.

Wishing you all the best,
Ellie
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending