The Student Room Group
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Strathclyde University 1st and 2nd sittings

Can someone clarify what they mean for me please.

When looking at their website and look at thier entry requirements, there are two different requirements labelled 1st and 2nd sitting.

Does 1st sitting refer to exams sat in s5 and 2nd sitting meaning exams sat in s6?

Or

Does the 1st sitting refer to me sitting a higher exam for the first time? And 2nd sitting refer to me resiting an exam.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
1st sitting of your Higher exams is in S5.

If you dont sit some in S5, resit, or take new highers in S6 they are 2nd sitting.
(edited 11 months ago)
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde
Original post by Atevdev
Can someone clarify what they mean for me please.

When looking at their website and look at thier entry requirements, there are two different requirements labelled 1st and 2nd sitting.

Does 1st sitting refer to exams sat in s5 and 2nd sitting meaning exams sat in s6?

Or

Does the 1st sitting refer to me sitting a higher exam for the first time? And 2nd sitting refer to me resiting an exam.

Hey @Atevdev :smile: First sitting refers to your first sitting of the highers (your grades achieved by the end of S5) and second sitting is what we'd need in total by the end of S6.

Are you in S5 just now or S6? If you let me know which subjects you're studying and which programme you're considering I can give any extra advice :smile:

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Original post by University of Strathclyde
Hey @Atevdev :smile: First sitting refers to your first sitting of the highers (your grades achieved by the end of S5) and second sitting is what we'd need in total by the end of S6.

Are you in S5 just now or S6? If you let me know which subjects you're studying and which programme you're considering I can give any extra advice :smile:

Do you accept resits for 2nd sitting entry
Original post by Anonymous
Do you accept resits for 2nd sitting entry

Hello! Which course are you hoping to apply for? Which grades do you have and what subjects are they in so I can advise? :smile:

Hello! Which course are you hoping to apply for? Which grades do you have and what subjects are they in so I can advise? :smile:

Finance and Business law and international business . AACCC in s5 which are pretty bad but last year was a tuff year for me as i was adjusting into scotland as i just came to the country last year and i immediately went into s5 crashing all my highers . i saw that the 2nd sitting requirement were AAAABB so im taking four subjects this year in s6 which are advanced higher business and higher rmps and higher english resit as i need to upgrade the subject to a B and higher maths resit aswell . i know that i would most likely not get an offer this year due to my s5 grades so im applying as a defer entry student which i know that are unlikely to be given an offer but i went to an open day and the admission undergraduate said that if i meet the entry requirement for 2nd sitting i could still be considered potentially for an offer so im hoping to get 4A this year and potentially reapply during my gap year for strathclyde again .
Original post by Anonymous
Finance and Business law and international business . AACCC in s5 which are pretty bad but last year was a tuff year for me as i was adjusting into scotland as i just came to the country last year and i immediately went into s5 crashing all my highers . i saw that the 2nd sitting requirement were AAAABB so im taking four subjects this year in s6 which are advanced higher business and higher rmps and higher english resit as i need to upgrade the subject to a B and higher maths resit aswell . i know that i would most likely not get an offer this year due to my s5 grades so im applying as a defer entry student which i know that are unlikely to be given an offer but i went to an open day and the admission undergraduate said that if i meet the entry requirement for 2nd sitting i could still be considered potentially for an offer so im hoping to get 4A this year and potentially reapply during my gap year for strathclyde again .

Ok thanks! :smile: It sounds like the Business School admissions team have gone through the entry requirements with you. To answer your original question, we would accept the resits as part of the requirements. If you were to re-apply and meet the second sitting entry requirements for 2025 entry then it's more likely they'd be able to consider you. Unfortunately at the moment as you say, it's unlikely they'd be able to make an offer conditionally or for deferred entry. Our Business courses are very competitive, but if your plan is to work hard at your highers this year and re-apply in a future year with achieved grades that might be a route we could consider :smile: Good luck!

Reply 7
Hi, do you have to meet the first sitting requirements to apply? I’m considering Finance, Mathematics and Statistics at Strathclyde, however, I narrowly miss the first sitting requirements by a single B (I have three A’s, a B and an NPA Level 6). This year I am taking 2 advanced highers and 2 highers.
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by TruS
Hi, do you have to meet the first sitting requirements to apply? I’m considering Finance, Mathematics and Statistics at Strathclyde, however, I narrowly miss the first sitting requirements by a single B (I have three A’s, a B and an NPA Level 6). This year I am taking 2 advanced highers and 2 highers.

Hello @TruS 😀
Our Business School is very competitive for entry and our admissions teams like to make Unconditional offers of study to those who already meet or exceed the first sitting requirements. If you haven't achieved the first sitting requirements they may make you a conditional offer to achieve the second sitting by the end of S6. If you aren't too far away from what they are asking I'd say you are still able to apply, however I can't guarantee an offer would be made as the courses are very competitive.

If you are eligible within our Widening Access criteria you may also qualify for the minimum entry requirements. For more info on this you can see here: https://www.strath.ac.uk/studywithus/wideningaccess/

Best of luck!
Caitlin
Hi there,
I'm finalising my UCAS choices and I was making an application to both International Business and Business at Strathclyde, but just wondered if these applications are considered separately, or, if I should just make one application as they are both under the Business School? Secondly, I have AAAA Highers and am currently sitting 2 AH and 2 H in 6th year - what are the chances of an offer being made? Thank you !
Original post by Anonymous #3
Hi there,
I'm finalising my UCAS choices and I was making an application to both International Business and Business at Strathclyde, but just wondered if these applications are considered separately, or, if I should just make one application as they are both under the Business School? Secondly, I have AAAA Highers and am currently sitting 2 AH and 2 H in 6th year - what are the chances of an offer being made? Thank you !

Hello! You're best just to pick the one that you're writing your Personal Statement for and applying to one. You can transfer from International Business in to the BA Business degree, so if you're unsure of what you'd like to do then you'd have more flexibility if you tailor your application to apply for International Business.

Apologies, but I can't say what the chances are of you being made an offer. Admissions are very competitive. If you meet or exceed the entry requirements (including the required subjects) then we'll be able to consider you. The Business School admissions team will take in to account your full application.

Good luck!!
Caitlin 🙂
Reply 11
Hello! You're best just to pick the one that you're writing your Personal Statement for and applying to one. You can transfer from International Business in to the BA Business degree, so if you're unsure of what you'd like to do then you'd have more flexibility if you tailor your application to apply for International Business.

Apologies, but I can't say what the chances are of you being made an offer. Admissions are very competitive. If you meet or exceed the entry requirements (including the required subjects) then we'll be able to consider you. The Business School admissions team will take in to account your full application.

Good luck!!
Caitlin 🙂

Thank you so much for your response and advice ! Much appreciated.
Reply 12

Good luck!!
Caitlin 🙂

Hiya, I am planning to apply to the Sciences(BioMed) at UofStrathclyde and was wondering if you guys accept resits of Highers? I am currently in s6, having 3 resits from the results in s5.
Original post by tadachar
Hiya, I am planning to apply to the Sciences(BioMed) at UofStrathclyde and was wondering if you guys accept resits of Highers? I am currently in s6, having 3 resits from the results in s5.

Hi @tadachar 🙂 Sorry it's taken me a wee while to reply over the Christmas break. Would you like to tell me which grades you've achieved in S5 and which subjects you're resitting this year so I can advise a bit better? Or feel free to PM me and we can have a chat there if you'd prefer!

Caitlin 🎓️
Reply 14
Hi @tadachar 🙂 Sorry it's taken me a wee while to reply over the Christmas break. Would you like to tell me which grades you've achieved in S5 and which subjects you're resitting this year so I can advise a bit better? Or feel free to PM me and we can have a chat there if you'd prefer!

Caitlin 🎓️

Hiya,
I’ve achieved AACCD in S5, and I am currently resitting Maths, Chemistry and Biology in s6, thanks.
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by tadachar
Hiya,
I’ve achieved AACCD in S5, and I am currently resitting Maths, Chemistry and Biology in s6, thanks.

Hello! Thanks for getting back to me 🙂 Normally for BSc Biomedical Sciences we'd ask for AABB/AAAC (with two sciences Biology/Human Biology B and Chemistry B; Maths and English National 5 B). This is what we'd look for by the end of S6 so yes, if you're re-sitting those subjects and are able to make the entry requirements we'd be able to consider you. If you qualify to be considered under our widening access criteria you'd be working towards the 'minimum' entry requirements. For more info about whether you'd be eligible for that type of offer you can see here.

I can't ever guarantee that an offer would be made but my best advice is to focus on your Higher Biology and Chemistry this year as they're part of the required subjects.

Caitlin 🎓️
Hello! Thanks for getting back to me 🙂 Normally for BSc Biomedical Sciences we'd ask for AABB/AAAC (with two sciences Biology/Human Biology B and Chemistry B; Maths and English National 5 B). This is what we'd look for by the end of S6 so yes, if you're re-sitting those subjects and are able to make the entry requirements we'd be able to consider you. If you qualify to be considered under our widening access criteria you'd be working towards the 'minimum' entry requirements. For more info about whether you'd be eligible for that type of offer you can see here.

I can't ever guarantee that an offer would be made but my best advice is to focus on your Higher Biology and Chemistry this year as they're part of the required subjects.

Caitlin 🎓️

Hello there,
I have a quick question, I applied BA Hons marketing course for this year and I'm also eligible to use the minimum requirement which is AABBB. Last year on my exams my results were AACCC.
This year I'm S6 and I'm taking 3 highers and an advanced higher, so I am wondering if I'm considered to get a conditional offer?
Original post by Anonymous #4
Hello there,
I have a quick question, I applied BA Hons marketing course for this year and I'm also eligible to use the minimum requirement which is AABBB. Last year on my exams my results were AACCC.
This year I'm S6 and I'm taking 3 highers and an advanced higher, so I am wondering if I'm considered to get a conditional offer?

Hello, I can't say whether or not you'd receive an offer but if you were you would be working towards the second sitting entry requirements of AABBB (so an additional BBB this year) altogether. You'll need your higher English at a B and Nat 5 Maths at a B too 🙂 I'd say we'd be able to consider you but this can be a very competitive course for entry so it's worth bearing that in mind.

Caitlin 🎓️
Hi
I see requirements for the Strathclyde Business School for courses in accounting and/or finance are
1st sitting: AAAA/AAABB
2nd sitting: AAAABBB
last year in fifth year I managed AAABB
I'm currently in 6th year (studying Adv Higher Maths & Higher Accouting) and am looking to apply for this year 2024
Can you confirm if I need to qualify for second sitting AAAABBB and if so will my adv Higher if a B be recorded as another higher at A. Alternatively will my 5th year 1st sitting results suffice.

Also, is it worthwhile applying for three courses
Accounting,
Accounting & Finance
Finance
Assuming I get the required grades will this increase my chance of being offered a course?
Reply 19
Hello, I can't say whether or not you'd receive an offer but if you were you would be working towards the second sitting entry requirements of AABBB (so an additional BBB this year) altogether. You'll need your higher English at a B and Nat 5 Maths at a B too 🙂 I'd say we'd be able to consider you but this can be a very competitive course for entry so it's worth bearing that in mind.

Caitlin 🎓️

I see requirements for the Business School for courses in accounting and/or finance are
1st sitting: AAAA/AAABB
2nd sitting: AAAABBB

last year in fifth year I managed AAABB
I'm currently in 6th year (studying Adv Higher Maths & Higher Accouting) and am looking to apply for this year 2024

Can you confirm if I need to qualify for second sitting AAAABBB and if so will my adv Higher if a B be recorded as another higher at A. Alternatively will my 5th year 1st sitting results suffice.

Also, is it worthwhile applying for three courses Accounting, Accounting & Finance Finance. Assuming I get the required grades will this increase my chance of being offered a course?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending