The Student Room Group

Fire burns Islamic center in Houston, Texas

Scroll to see replies

Original post by caravaggio2
Interesting that muslims destroy churches and mosques all over the world every week, often resulting in the deaths of people, yet you choose to start a post about this one.

What's your point? Muslims are not one monolithic entity; the actions of the ISIS do not make the actions here tolerable.
Original post by drcharisma
What's your point? Muslims are not one monolithic entity; the actions of the ISIS do not make the actions here tolerable.

Nor are Americans, yet apparently "I hate America" is a perfectly acceptable statement.

Then in the same logic, you must condemn opinions that generalize the "westerners" as "islamophobic" and evil.
Original post by Hickory Dickory
Then in the same logic, you must condemn opinions that generalize the "westerners" as "islamophobic" and evil.

I agree.
Original post by TheBBQ
Overall, agreed with you there. But my opinion probably takes those at different proportions than yours.

Lol thought so. I would like to know your take on it.
Call me a cynic

But as I'm a betting man I'm calling this a 'Inside Insurance Job'

all that was destroyed was a storage area that happened to be 'full' of computers and building materials ready for a refurbishment for the center (the center itself wasn't harmed)

That or some of the stored building material was stored incorrectly

But as I said I'm a betting man so I'll go with 'insurance Job'
You mean a growing dislike for Islamic extremism. It would be ignorant to classify all Muslims as the same. The Muslims in Texas have done nothing to warrant this act of crime.

No I mean a growing dislike for Islam in general. I'm not talking about Muslims, I am talking about Islam.

Islam is an appalling religion which encourages hatred of others. Why should we tolerate a religion which is intolerant?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wouldn't be surprised if it was due to foul play. It is Texas after all.

man you'd make an awesome Daily Mail journalist.

The Imam himself tosses it up between "maybe it was arson" and "maybe it was an accident due to a homeless man starting a fire to keep warm".

The police don't say they're assuming it's foul play, lets wait until we get facts yeah?

Nope.. Nah we'll go with foul play, must be, lets just raise tensions doing that, after all it's pretty horrific for any Muslim trying to live in the USA in fairness, I mean honestly those damn Coptics complaining about their treatment/Churches being burnt down are just milking it. :rolleyes:

But yes if it is foul play I hope those responsible are caught swiftly and face a serious sentence, only silver lining is the time of the fire at least made it so it was unlikely anyone (and no one was) inside, and it didn't occur during Friday prayers.
(edited 9 years ago)
I would probably be less likely to look askance at these stories if the Muslim TSRians were regularly posting stories about Christian churches being burned in the Middle East, or the violence of Boko Haram against Nigerian Christians, etc.

In fact, we never see the Muslim TSRians posting stories like that; it seems the only thing that exercises their sense of outrage is when a Muslim is injured or killed by a non-Muslim. Even the violence against Muslims by other Muslims seems to go unremarked upon
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sabertooth
Nor are Americans, yet apparently "I hate America" is a perfectly acceptable statement.

I love how he says "I hate America" and thinks it's perfectly fine.
Original post by goobypls
I love how he says "I hate America" and thinks it's perfectly fine.

It is fine. The bigoted bit is where he can't accept the vice-versa!
An Anti-Muslimic attack. USA seems less tolerant than the UK. Things like this barely happen in the UK maybe because British people have better understanding.
Reply 33
Original post by Graceful_Lawyer
Lol thought so. I would like to know your take on it.

My take is that it is probably 60/40 in favour of those who actually do such crimes. A lot of horrible things have happened and then they use Islam as a justification (eg the beheadings, recent hostage situations and shootings, and isil on the extreme end) and on the other end, some things which aren't exactly related to religion or the culprit doesn't use Islam as a justification, these still do get blown up a bit.
Original post by TheBBQ
My take is that it is probably 60/40 in favour of those who actually do such crimes. A lot of horrible things have happened and then they use Islam as a justification (eg the beheadings, recent hostage situations and shootings, and isil on the extreme end) and on the other end, some things which aren't exactly related to religion or the culprit doesn't use Islam as a justification, these still do get blown up a bit.

Oh okay. When you say that 60/40 are in favour of terrorists, are you talking about Muslims?
Reply 35
Original post by Graceful_Lawyer
Oh okay. When you say that 60/40 are in favour of terrorists, are you talking about Muslims?

I mean that's my personal view on the acts/media hype percentage, which makes people detest islam or hold prejudice against muslims. Some believe the media is all to blame like that guy on the first page. This is just what I think and feel.
Original post by TheBBQ
I mean that's my personal view on the acts/media hype percentage, which makes people detest islam or hold prejudice against muslims. Some believe the media is all to blame like that guy on the first page. This is just what I think and feel.

Ahh okay. I agree. I mean I do blame the media too, but the point is that extremist Muslims have given them the chance to say such things. But I believe the media should only blame these extremist and should stop being bias. But yeah overall, both to blame, not only one.
Islam has not been modernised. Only in Turkey has it changed to accommodate the new capitalist social structure and values, everywhere else it promotes feudalism and ignorance.
"The building of Islamic Center of Houston, Texas, has caught fire on Friday, but the causes remain unknown."

"...but the causes remain unknown."

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending