The Student Room Group

Honest opinion about the IB?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Skye25
This year 3 out of the 10 courses I've done have been on programming. More than teach languages, what they do is teach a programming paradigm and use a particular language to showcase it.
For example, in my first term we had Functional Programming, and the language we used was Haskell. But the course wasn't about teaching Haskell, it was showing some functional programming concepts (recursion, folds, partial function application, higher order functions...) and then showing how we could do these things in Haskell.

Really, when you think about it, a language is just some syntax rules, what really matters is the paradigm - functional, imperative, object-oriented, etc. Once you understand these, you can learn the syntax of a new language and start programming right away, it's just using different words to say the same thing. If that makes any sense :colondollar:

Wow nice, do they use ubuntu?

Essentually yes,, you are correct.

Crystal clear however apologies on the late reply.
Original post by Kangie
Try? I already have 15 exams with 3 exams on one day and then 4 on the next. :curious:

K

Good luck in your exams.
I really enjoyed IB, it's been an amazing course and I've learnt a lot. I'm really happy I chose to do it :biggrin:
Original post by thirdcultureteen
I apologize for the inevitable misinterpretation of tone that comes with virtual messages. I am calm, unlike you.

I am not doing what I am accusing you of. I am accusing you of using your previous exam experience to criticize the IB on an IB forum, while you are taking A levels (if you think A levels are much more worthy, then why waste your time here anyways?). What I was doing was simply showing that many people in many different countries and educational systems can have many exams on one day (and not just once, but every month for many years), and that this is no indication of the level of difficulty of one's course. I am not idiotic enough to try to assert that my tenth grade education is superior to an A level education, thank you very much.

You chose to do your exams as well, if I am not mistaken. Unless you happen to live under someone else's complete control?

I have never claimed that I am intellectually superior to you, nor have I said that my exams are more difficult than your workload. If you are going to attack me and the things I say, then perhaps it would serve your case better if you do not put words in my mouth.

Okay, sorry then?

But you didn't have to be so mean.

Getting a bit personal there :frown:
Original post by Damien_Dalgaard
Okay, sorry then?

But you didn't have to be so mean.

Getting a bit personal there :frown:

Sigh I'm sorry as well.

Lol well you kinda went a bit personal with my intelligence as well.

How about we're even? :smile:
Sigh I'm sorry as well.

Lol well you kinda went a bit personal with my intelligence as well.

How about we're even? :smile:

Yes sorry you are correct.

Yes sure, apologies :smile:

Good luck with your exams.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 86
Original post by Damien_Dalgaard
Wow nice, do they use ubuntu?

Essentually yes,, you are correct.

Crystal clear however apologies on the late reply.

The computers in the practicals lab have Fedora. I have a Windows laptop though, and others have Macs. The OS doesn't really matter, all the software we use is available on all platforms.
Original post by karmacrunch
^ ? :h:

Cheers! :biggrin:
Reply 88
Soo.. Slightly regretting choosing to study IB next year :dry:
Anyone got some advice?
Original post by justelsa
Anyone got some advice?

Relax and stay on top of your work. It isn't half as bad as it's hyped up to be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 90
Original post by Bude8
Relax and stay on top of your work. It isn't half as bad as it's hyped up to be.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! x)
Original post by justelsa
Anyone got some advice?

Hi, me too. Let's huddle. What are you worried about?
Reply 92
Original post by TheBobComplex
Hi, me too. Let's huddle. What are you worried about?

I'm just worried it's going to be really difficult and up-tempo :s
What about you?
Same really. I feel like it may not be worth the work. Not sure if I can hack it man.
Are you studying in the UK? Because I was weighing it up against a levels and may end up changing to them in the end.
Honestly the IB isn't as stressful as everyone makes it out to be. I feel like it was only the second semester of 11th grade/first semester of 12th grade that was really difficult due to all the different deadlines (IAs, TOK, EE, etc.) + uni applications. But I'm sure if you manage your time well from the start, you won't find it too much of a challenge.
At the end of it all, you'll be glad you took the IB. Just push through it and you'll do fine. Good luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
^
I disagree. It is defiantly stressful. The level of stress of course varies from people to people. Some people obviously picked it for themselves so they probably enjoyed it a lot. I mean, even CAS criteria vary from school to school - that's one spectrum of stress right there.
It really seems there are divided opinions - not sure what to do.
It really seems there are divided opinions - not sure what to do.

I'm not in IB yet (going to start this September), but from the information I've gathered and the people I've talked to, it's just whether you're up for the courses or not. If you don't have the right academic background, you're obviously going to struggle. If you do and you pick subjects that interest you, you'll probably have a great time!

So honestly, no one here on studentroom would really be able to give you concrete advice about whether IB will be stressful/hard for you or not, because we don't know how your academic ability is and it varies according to the courses you choose (so called suicide courses vs. "soft" subjects)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not in IB yet (going to start this September), but from the information I've gathered and the people I've talked to, it's just whether you're up for the courses or not. If you don't have the right academic background, you're obviously going to struggle. If you do and you pick subjects that interest you, you'll probably have a great time!

So honestly, no one here on studentroom would really be able to give you concrete advice about whether IB will be stressful/hard for you or not, because we don't know how your academic ability is and it varies according to the courses you choose (so called suicide courses vs. "soft" subjects)

Posted from TSR Mobile

This sums it up very nicely.

Another important factor to consider for people interested in IB is what the teachers are going to be like, if you have an idea. Our head of IB was amazing and always supportive of us - if we ever felt we had too much work he'd ask the teachers to reduce workload. Hopefully, most teachers are probably aware of how much work you have and aren't going to give you that much work in the first place - this was the case for me.

I don't think I was ever stressed during the IB - it was a really enjoyable course, the workload was fine and I was always on top of my work. Good luck to those doing it next year, you may find it two years of pain but it'll be rewarding and you definitely won't regret it (afterwards, at least :colone:)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 99
Same really. I feel like it may not be worth the work. Not sure if I can hack it man.
Are you studying in the UK? Because I was weighing it up against a levels and may end up changing to them in the end.

I live in England right now so all my friends are going to do A levels but I'm moving to Sweden next year and will do IB there, so I can't swap since its the only course they offer in English..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending